Does Low Carb Cause Hair Loss?

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
Can I ask u a question? Does your hair fall out on lchf I’ve been on it Minch March and every time I wash it it falls out is this ment to happen

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with type 2 four years ago and went low carb on diagnosis. My hair is certainly thinner than it used to be, but I think that’s just an ageing thing, I’ve never linked it to my diet.

Reactions: Jayne1983

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I lost most of my hair while on Eatwell. My daughter is a vegetarian, and her hair blocks the trap in the shower weekly. She is the only user of the shower. I have not noticed any additional loss of hair since getting my sugars under control using LCHF. I have not seen any hairs in the bath or plughole in years now,

Edit to clarify- I do still have hair that could fall out, and I do not use super glue or smoke cigars. Nor do I use goose fat or any other waxy hair dressings

Last edited:

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Can I ask u a question? Does your hair fall out on lchf I’ve been on it Minch March and every time I wash it it falls out is this ment to happen
I began to lose handfuls of hair when on Metformin three times per day. This ceased as soon as I had my dose reduced to just one tablet per day, six months later

M

Member496333

In and of itself I would think it’s unlikely, but of course that doesn’t mean there isn’t something about your particular low-carb diet that isn’t working well for you.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Look up telogen effluvium. Any big change can cause temporary hair loss. So a change in diet, giving birth, death of a loved one, divorce, illness (covid!) can do it. Usually it occurs a month or two after the change when the hair having entered its resting stage early then falls out early. When the next growth cycle is due it usually restarts. Most of us find it it only lasts a few months and then you begin to see the new baby hairs regrowing. Coincidentally many people have panicked and bought all sorts of supplements in the meantime and credit that not time for the return to normal.

obviously also check that things like iron and thyroid are ok though.

jessj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for asking, @Jayne1983. And thanks for the answers. o_O I think I'd best start looking at hats or wigs then, as I was losing it before, so now... :woot:

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
High blood glucose levels can also cause hair loss. My hair thickened up nicely once I got my blood glucose under control!

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
High blood glucose levels can also cause hair loss. My hair thickened up nicely once I got my blood glucose under control!
Hi it’s deffo not high blood sugar I reversed my diabetes in 3 months with diet and exercise I went from 54mm to 36mm

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Look up telogen effluvium. Any big change can cause temporary hair loss. So a change in diet, giving birth, death of a loved one, divorce, illness (covid!) can do it. Usually it occurs a month or two after the change when the hair having entered its resting stage early then falls out early. When the next growth cycle is due it usually restarts. Most of us find it it only lasts a few months and then you begin to see the new baby hairs regrowing. Coincidentally many people have panicked and bought all sorts of supplements in the meantime and credit that not time for the return to normal.

Thanks for asking, @Jayne1983. And thanks for the answers. o_O I think I'd best start looking at hats or wigs then, as I was losing it before, so now... :woot:
I’ve been losing it a few months but only when I wash it I think it could be due to weight loss I’ve lost 3stone 7lb since March doing lchf I’m going ring the doctors today

Reactions: jessj

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Thanks it could be diet changes I hope it is I will ring the doctors today x

Reactions: jessj

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks it could be diet changes I hope it is I will ring the doctors today x
Hair loss is strongly associated with thyroid function. It may be that changing diet has worked counter to your thyroid needs, Maybe ask for the test?

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hair loss is strongly associated with thyroid function. It may be that changing diet has worked counter to your thyroid needs, Maybe ask for the test?
Thanks I will ask for a test

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Congratulations on your substantial weight loss and for normalising your blood glucose levels. In times of energy deficit one of the nonessential body functions is hair growth particularly if the protein consumed is being used as an energy source. This could help to explain your hair loss and may be reversed if you begin to eat more.

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Congratulations on your substantial weight loss and for normalising your blood glucose levels. In times of energy deficit one of the nonessential body functions is hair growth particularly if the protein consumed is being used as an energy source. This could help to explain your hair loss and may be reversed if you begin to eat more.
Hi thank you so if I eat more protein then my hair should start to come back I’ve phoned the doctor I’ve got to go Monday I will get it checked out I’m hoping it is Thursday the diet thanks

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi thank you so if I eat more protein then my hair should start to come back I’ve phoned the doctor I’ve got to go Monday I will get it checked out I’m hoping it is Thursday the diet thanks
Because of the diet not Thursday

jessj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, @HSSS, it's ok, I'm not panicking, I've had it for a few years now & I certainly won't be changing my diet if LC adds to it.

@Jayne1983, well done on your weight loss. :cool: I hope you get the answer when you see your Dr.