Diabetes caused by denim shrinkage?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the DuK staff do police that forum for correct messaging on such topics so I am grateful that the discussion here is more free ranging!
The head of research which talks about remission being possible via bariatric surgery or the low calorie Newcastle Diet. He dismissed what i presume to be Virta Study because he didn't consider it to be randomised. Nor is Direct of course.
As your story shows the current advice tending towards high carb/low fat doesn't seem to work well for everyone but is still emphasised by DuK in its leaflets on 'Eating Well ' with diabetes in which it states that we all need some carbs and whilst you may choose to eat less of them, you mustn't eat too much saturated fat (not very appealing).
DUK is riding the government gravy train so has to promote the government line as dictated by SACN and NICE.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coincidentally, I put myself through the NHS "Are you at risk of Diabetes" calculator yesterday and still came out at an increased risk because of 2 immovable factors:
1 my age
2 my relatives who already have it

My weight, bmi and bg are all good and controlled but according to the calculator I'm still at increased risk.

So Prof Taylors idea of what I weighed over 40 years ago would still be irrelevant just because I've got to a certain age and have relatives .

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgotten say, well done @Widgets. I recently tried my 29 year old wedding outfit, and it was too big! It's a great feeling, and even better I know I'm going to stay this way. Hope you do too

That's definitely my plan - I lost a lot of weight with low carb about 15 years ago, but put most of it back. So, I know what I'm doing, I just need to do it better this time :)

Onwards and downwards!

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So Prof Taylors idea of what I weighed over 40 years ago would still be irrelevant just because I've got to a certain age and have relatives .

Not to defend Taylor but I believe that the genetic malfunction is the deposit of fat on the internal organs before filling subcutaneous stores.
We all think speak of genetics as this predetermined breakdown of signalling pathways that lead to insulin resistance.
Perhaps this genetic component is the fat storage issue.

I will be interested to see the liver scans when the full report is published.

M

Member496333

I want to add to my earlier contribution on this topic and go on record as saying that I actually do subscribe to the personal fat threshold theory. It neatly explains why TOFI become diabetic so easily and it also fits with what I believe to be true of Jason Fung's overflow hypothesis work. What continues to grind my gears, though, is the incessant infatuation with calories and calorie reduction being the be-all-and-end-all of staying below that threshold.

In my own case I'm very sure that my efforts will have reduced my weight in ectopic organ fat but increased my lean mass overall. In that regard one can argue it's all about fat but I also didn't restrict calories. I just stopped eating glucose.

Reactions: HSSS

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Considering I was anorexic in my late teens and early twenties, my 20" waist was not something I would want still.

Reactions: Thebeats