Are others having their regular review cancelled?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I had my last, in person, check-up in February 2020. My GP Practice will occasionally just do a HBA1C if I happen to be there being tested for anything else. My first HBA1C since Lockdown 1 was supposed to happen in September. I wasn't able to attend because of contracting a vomiting virus. When I called in to ask for it to be rescheduled, they said "it wasn't worth rescheduling".
Does that mean your HbA1c was amazing? Or am I being naive?

Reactions: StewM

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, reviews for everything postponed. Apart from the offer of some random telephone consultations for asthma and BP review. It is DIY for the forseeable future, as I fail to understand how a random, locum, nurse can determine BP etc just by talking on the phone.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I fail to understand how a random, locum, nurse can determine BP etc just by talking on the phone.
In my wife's recent review, they just asked her to measure her BP and report back. Luckily we have a meter or it would have be difficult.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my wife's recent review, they just asked her to measure her BP and report back. Luckily we have a meter or it would have be difficult.
I do that , too. In fact I monitor my own BG, HbA1c, (though not convinced either mine or the doctor’s lab ones are accurate) , weight, visceral fat, muscle mass, and lung capacity.
I am convinced I am managing better without interventions. Apart from advice if needed from pharmacist, who has stepped up and taken on the challenge of providing health reviews and monitoring that have not been available at the GP surgery these last 18 months or so.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does that mean your HbA1c was amazing? Or am I being naive?
I mean, that’s a positive way of looking at, yeah, and I can’t rule it out completely considering my HBA1C has been sitting stable at 42 (+/- 1) for years but…

As much as I’d love that to be the case, the vibe I got from the tone of the call was that they had de prioritised regular HBA1C tests, generally, in my health board.

AutisticMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
First person shooter games such as COD.
I've had a lot of proud with check ups being erratic. Covid hit the NHS before my blood sugars were even close to under control which meant the long gap between check ups has meant I'm now about 3 years into it and still not fully controlled.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
What is a foot pulse check?
The only foot exam I've ever had was one I requested; my doctor ran something like a pen point up the sole of my foot. I can do that at home so I didn't understand why it had to be done at her office.
I've never had or been offered a retinopathy exam.

I realize the US healthcare (non)system doesn't look after its people as well as the NHS does, but my doctor was a good one I thought.
Hi SaskiaKC I’ve just had my podiatry diabetic appointment and I had this examination done where a pen like probe was run along different parts of my foot. Its to check if you have any blockages which can stop your blood flow to your feet you can actually hear the blood flow whooshing I had an excellent readings the podiatrist said. It put my mind at rest has a blister on my foot had turned nasty definitely don’t want problems with my lower extremities hope this helps.K

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In two years since dx I've had an initial foot and retinopathy check (Jan 2020) a foot check summer 2021, and have just been summoned for a retinopathy check in February. I have had the DN appointments as scheduled but I had to insist. To be fair what's been done in my GP practice has been to schedule, the checks done outside have not been as regular.

aard

No checks here not even a phone review.
No eye test bit thats done by GP.
Same for everything ie non diabetes issues.

Phone appointments are a joke. I have two choices discuss my health issues in an open plan office where 200 people can over hear or take a day off waiting for a telephone call(they never give times for telephone appointments).

at least no longer need prescription reviews as these are now automatically renewed.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No eye test bit thats done by GP.
You should have a diabetic retinopathy eye test, it is done by a special eye clinic or possibly an optician, not by a GP.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I answered a survey from diabetes.uk today on missed appointments during the past 2 years.
It suddenly popped up on my phone and can't seem to find it now to link to everyone else, but at least it seems someone, somewhere is asking questions