1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Are others having their regular review cancelled?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by PurpleArmadillo, Oct 11, 2021.

1. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Does that mean your HbA1c was amazing? Or am I being naive?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Yes, reviews for everything postponed. Apart from the offer of some random telephone consultations for asthma and BP review. It is DIY for the forseeable future, as I fail to understand how a random, locum, nurse can determine BP etc just by talking on the phone.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In my wife's recent review, they just asked her to measure her BP and report back. Luckily we have a meter or it would have be difficult.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I do that , too. In fact I monitor my own BG, HbA1c, (though not convinced either mine or the doctor’s lab ones are accurate) , weight, visceral fat, muscle mass, and lung capacity.
    I am convinced I am managing better without interventions. Apart from advice if needed from pharmacist, who has stepped up and taken on the challenge of providing health reviews and monitoring that have not been available at the GP surgery these last 18 months or so.

5. StewM

StewM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I mean, that’s a positive way of looking at, yeah, and I can’t rule it out completely considering my HBA1C has been sitting stable at 42 (+/- 1) for years but…

As much as I’d love that to be the case, the vibe I got from the tone of the call was that they had de prioritised regular HBA1C tests, generally, in my health board.

6. AspieMum

AspieMum Type 2 · Member

I've had a lot of proud with check ups being erratic. Covid hit the NHS before my blood sugars were even close to under control which meant the long gap between check ups has meant I'm now about 3 years into it and still not fully controlled.

• Hug Hug x 3
  7. Granny_grump_

Granny_grump_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi SaskiaKC I’ve just had my podiatry diabetic appointment and I had this examination done where a pen like probe was run along different parts of my foot. Its to check if you have any blockages which can stop your blood flow to your feet you can actually hear the blood flow whooshing I had an excellent readings the podiatrist said. It put my mind at rest has a blister on my foot had turned nasty definitely don’t want problems with my lower extremities hope this helps.K

8. KennyA

KennyA Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

In two years since dx I've had an initial foot and retinopathy check (Jan 2020) a foot check summer 2021, and have just been summoned for a retinopathy check in February. I have had the DN appointments as scheduled but I had to insist. To be fair what's been done in my GP practice has been to schedule, the checks done outside have not been as regular.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook