Can someone describe neuropathic pain for me?

Hi!

I am newly diagnosed with type 1 and in February 2021 before my diagnosis I started to have pins and needles in my toes and fingers, my foot then began to go numb and it was travelling to my other foot and up my legs. I started to get muscle spasms in my legs and every single muscles in my body was throbbing! My fingers were numb, I was constantly dropping things. My body ached A deep, hard, throbbing, stabbing pain that brought me to tears. I was given pregablin and sent for an MRI. The MRI came back clear. It wasn’t until I was rushed to hospital on September 30th hours from a coma that I was diagnosed with T1D. I am still suffering with the pain, pins and needles and now my feet have swollen up. I have size 1 shrek feet LOL my pregablin has been up to 100mg three times a day. When it wears off that deep, hard, throbbing, stabbing pain appears! My fingers are constantly numb with pins and needles. Also my eyes are so blurry, that I now wear glasses. I am feeling sorry for myself at the minute. I hope in time it all gets better.

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I hope in time it all gets better.

Welcome to the forums, I'd hope that things will improve dramatically once your insulin and blood sugar levels have settled How long have you been diagnosed and what is your insulin regime? (Am guessing basal/bolus)

Hi.

Sorry for the late reply. I was only diagnosed on October 1st 2021. So I am still really new to it all. I was on humalog but my nurse said I was insulin sensitive so I had my humalog changed to Fiasp after I was hospitalised again on December 3rd. I also take my long lasting Toujeo everyday too.

I’m still experiencing the symptoms I wrote above. I am prescribed pregablin 100mg three times a day. They help a lot but my symptoms haven’t changed at all.

I have my first eye screening on January 6th. I have to wear glasses now as my eyes are so blurry. I hope in time my symptoms get better but I’m so scared the damage is permanent.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Happy new year. Wishing you good health and happiness in the months ahead.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
now my feet have swollen up
Hello @xClaireyMac1888, I'm so sorry to read about all your miserable symptoms. I do hope they will abate as your medical team gets more of a handle on your condition. I particularly noticed your problem with swollen feet. My right foot is often swollen, and although I have other more serious health difficulties, that swelling particularly upsets me, even though as I wear thick wooly socks, no-one sees the swelling except me. Since you are a young woman, I imagine swollen feet must be even more upsetting for you. Do tell us when that problem resolves (and all the others, of course).

Reactions: Sally1234