Sensitive to insulin

andyl1984uk

Evening all,

I've been diagnosed with T1 in September 21, and managing relatively well.

However, over recent days, my body seems really sensitive to insulin, meaning I am struggling to keep my sugars above 4!

For example, I had about 50g carbs for tea, and because of sensitivity, only had 2 units of insulin (normally it would probably be 4-5 units), but it still caused a hypo. I even took the insulin after eating to try and prevent it too!

Anyone else had this?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Evening all,

However, over recent days, my body seems really sensitive to insulin, meaning I am struggling to keep my sugars above 4!

For example, I had about 50g carbs for tea, and because of sensitivity, only had 2 units of insulin (normally it would probably be 4-5 units), but it still caused a hypo. I even took the insulin after eating to try and prevent it too!

Anyone else had this?
Coping with variability is part of insulin management. I recommend you start by checking your basal dose by skipping a meal or eating low carb to see if your blood sugars hold a straight line.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums @andyl1984uk . As a new T1, it is also possible that you are in a honeymoon period when your pancreas decides to randomly help out with spurts of insulin, thereby making dosing more unpredictable.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all,

Anyone else had this?
Hello

Yes I did at the beginning, I remember my nurse saying it’s quite common to suddenly need less insulin shortly after starting it, but then a couple of months later it changes again. Ert is right you might need to reduce your basal so that would be a good thing to clarify. I found the first year very unpredictable and changeable as sometimes your own body has the occasional burst of insulin and then not! Do let your nurse know as they will help you with doses.

andyl1984uk

Hello

Yes I did at the beginning, I remember my nurse saying it’s quite common to suddenly need less insulin shortly after starting it, but then a couple of months later it changes again. Ert is right you might need to reduce your basal so that would be a good thing to clarify. I found the first year very unpredictable and changeable as sometimes your own body has the occasional burst of insulin and then not! Do let your nurse know as they will help you with doses.
I was planning to speak with them on Monday - typically these things always happen over the weekend!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Andy1234789 probably a bit of s long shot but have you had a Covid jab recently.
They seem to be affecting is in every way possible for T1s. Some people see no impact on their blood sugars. Some people see temporary rises. I experienced extreme sensitivity to insulin. For a couple of weeks, I had to reduce my dose by 50%. More than 6 months after my second jab and my insulin dose is 20% lower than it has been for about 6 years.

Last edited:

andyl1984uk

@Andy1234789 probably a bit of s long shot but have you had a Covid jab recently.
They seem to be affecting is in every way possible for T1s. Some people see no impact on their blood sugars. Some people see temporary rises. I experienced extreme sensitivity to insulin. For a couple of weeks, I had to reduce my dose by 50%. More than 6 months after my second jab and my insulin dose is 20% lower than it has been for about 6 years.
No, I have my booster jab in a week, so that gives me something else to look forward to!!!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No, I have my booster jab in a week, so that gives me something else to look forward to!!!
The booster had no affect for me.
My first two jabs were AZ and the booster was Pfizer.
That said, I am a sample of one and it seems any (or no) reaction is possible.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all,

Anyone else had this?

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I wouldn't turn down any of the advice above.

What insulin/s are you prescribed?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My insulin needs vary day to day and always have. You just have to accept that may happen. The Libre 2 helps me see trends and adjust as well I can.

Smiler99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles
This happened to me to ihad 3 hypos in 24 hours I worked out I can have 15 to 20 carbs per unit they keep telling me I am in the honeymoon period xx

Smiler99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles
Evening all,

Anyone else had this?
Get in touch with your diabetes nurse or doctor there there to help x

andyl1984uk

Get in touch with your diabetes nurse or doctor there there to help x
I spoke with them today, and suggested some possible reasons for it. Things seem to have settled down with smaller bolus and a slight reduction of basal.

I'm still waiting to see a doctor - the nurse keeps chasing!

Smiler99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles
I spoke with them today, and suggested some possible reasons for it. Things seem to have settled down with smaller bolus and a slight reduction of basal.

I'm still waiting to see a doctor - the nurse keeps chasing!
Glad things are settling down good luck and safe