Newbie, 31 neurodiverse type 2!

DiabeticDaddy

Hello,

Want to stay anon on here for work reasons but I’m 31 and neurodiverse autism and ADHD I’m currently on 4 metformin and looking to begin a low carb lifestyle in the new year to help me get my sugars under control. I’m 28 stone and find the management of all thus quite over whelming I’ve already posted in another thread and got some great ideas. Just wanted to introduce myself anyway

BestWishes
DiabeticDaddy

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums @DiabeticDaddy .

Hopefully the low carb will help your weight as well as your blood sugar levels (weight gain is a side effect of T2).

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forums! You are definitely in the right place.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome. You'll find lots of help and support here from people who have actual experience of the issues.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

I'm a wife and parent of four neurodiverse people and coincidentally ADHD (and ADD for one) and autism for all. So I do get that life can be that much more challenging.

The good thing that I have found about a low carb diet is that there are less food options and I am coming closer to being just a carnivore. That has made cooking a bit simpler as much less complicated recipes for my food. So there is real hope.

Keep reading and posting we are here to listen and help if possible.

Welcome and good luck.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hello,

Want to stay anon on here for work reasons but I’m 31 and neurodiverse autism and ADHD I’m currently on 4 metformin and looking to begin a low carb lifestyle in the new year to help me get my sugars under control. I’m 28 stone and find the management of all thus quite over whelming I’ve already posted in another thread and got some great ideas. Just wanted to introduce myself anyway

BestWishes
DiabeticDaddy
Welcome to the place where your journey begins :) We all came here with either weight issues or other health or social problems so are the best people to support you hopefully. You really will not regret joining our friendly forum and there is always someone who has tackled things that you may tackle along the way. I wish you a happy and healthier 2022 x

AutisticMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
First person shooter games such as COD.
Hello,

BestWishes
DiabeticDaddy
I am autistic and probably have ADHD too. My 3 young adult kids are also autistic and my twins are also ADHD.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The good thing that I have found about a low carb diet is that there are less food options and I am coming closer to being just a carnivore. That has made cooking a bit simpler
@VashtiB yes, and food shopping is so much simpler and quicker too. In this time of Covid, it's great to be in and out of the few supermarket aisles I visit in a heartbeat!

AutisticMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello,

BestWishes
DiabeticDaddy
Welcome I'm Autistic and ADHD as well as diabetic (amongst other things). I'm type 2 and struggled at first when diagnosed. Because it took a long time getting my diabetes sorted it was put on hold by Covid making it even longer to get on top of it. I was diagnosed about a year/ year & a half before Covid.

• Hug
Reactions: VashtiB

AutisticMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@VashtiB yes, and food shopping is so much simpler and quicker too. In this time of Covid, it's great to be in and out of the few supermarket aisles I visit in a heartbeat!
Difficult for me though as I rely on home delivery and tend to get everything very short date as a result if at all. I shop 3 times a week & often everything has to be used up on the day I get it of what I can cook (I'm also osteoarthritic too preventing me cooking for myself & my only help with meals can only cook ready meals and the likes of sausages & burgers, which we cook in an air fryer- he couldn't fry them or grill them). Also just having steaks, chops, sausages and burgers, which I'd be limited to, has insufficient variety for me to cope with for longer than about a week or 2.

• Hug
Reactions: SaskiaKC

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @AutisticMum

You've posted in an old thread so while some may read it you might want to consider starting a new thread :)

As I said above- I am usually not a long way from carnivore with some dairy added in. I understand about this not providing a lot of variety so just a couple of ideas from me:

chicken wings can be cooked in an air fryer.You could try marinating them first to add different flavours.
You can buy sliced ham or smoked salmon and have a salad with mixed green leaves, feta cheese, some coriander, cheese or leeks and maybe a cherry tomato or cucumber (depending on how low carb you go).
eggs- lots of different ways- boiled can then be in the fridge for a while but scrambled or poached. I sometimes make eggs Benedict (without the bread component) with bought Hollandaise sauce.
You can also try crispy skin salmon (really yummy).

Good luck.