Fasting Blood Sugar this morning + yesterday's food AND physical activity

AGC_68

Wow!! .. great FBG and amazing physical activity yesterday @DEBBIESCOTT !!

FBG: 5.7
B: Protein yoghurt pudding with vanilla creme protein powder, berries, crushed walnut, chopped square of dark choc
L: Omelette - 2 eggs, garlic, mushrooms, spinach, cheddar and a protein shake
D: Chinese chilli and garlic chicken with aubergine and cauliflower rice, pudding: choc brownie and choc cookie protein pudding

Activity
Steps: ~8000

Workout
10 mins shadow boxing

4 x 10 ab crunches hanging from the chin up bar
4 x 8 chin ups
4 x 10 cycle squats with a 32kg kettlebell
4 x 15 pike press ups feet up on couch hands on kettlebells)
4 x 15 shoulder press with a pair of 16 kg kettlebells

light stretching to cool down

I was going to do my high intensity MMA workout yesterday with striking combos, burpees and b/fall get ups. But time got away with me yesterday. Didn't get to workout until 11 PM. So kept it simple.

Have a good day :)

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG libre 9.5 contour 7.9
B/ spinach frittata
L/ chicken & chorizo casserole with salad & pinenuts, 6 cherries & banana, oat & blueberry muffin
Snack: 3 pork chipolatas, marmite peanuts, cheese string
D/ prawn & avocado salad, pecans, tablespoon crunchy peanut butter
Exercise
Am/ 1.12 mile dog walk with friend
Pm/ 2.36 mile walk
Took today as a much needed rest day from exercise (can tell from FBG) back at gym at 07.30am tomorrow
I checked the protein content on my alpro yogurt, hardly any, know why you add protein powder to it now,
Brilliant FBG, diet & exercise as always, you’ve got this I’m still winging it
Have a good day
Steps14,443

AGC_68

I'm going to take a rest day today I think. Good reminder @DEBBIESCOTT

FBG: 5.4
B: Protein pudding with coconut milk, vanilla creme protein powder, berries, crushed walnut, chopped square of dark choc
L: Double sized protein pudding !! As above but with choc cookie powder, peanut butter, walnuts and choc chips
D: Chinese chilli and garlic chicken with aubergine and cauliflower rice

Not a good food day, not enough time to make real food, busy at work, had to squeeze in a doctor's appointment for da mumski, and a school pick up for the kidski. Plus a lot of work meetings, but the protein powders, yoghurt, low GI fruit and nuts at least let me get some decent macros in and feel full. Don't want anything like that today though. LOL!

Activity
Steps: ~8000

Workout
exciting day today!! .. new ergonomic grip handles arrived that I can loop over the chin up bar
10 mins shadow boxing

4 times around the circuit below:
a. 10 ab crunches hanging from the chin up bar in front lever position
b. 8 pull ups
c. 10 press ups both hands on kettlebell
d. 10 press ups left hand on kettlebell
e. 10 press ups right hand on kettlebell
f. 10 kettlebell snatches left hand (20 kg)
g. 10 kettlebell snatches right hand (20 kg)
h. 20 jump squats

light stretching to cool down

That workout was more intense than I intended to do today.

Have a great day mate :)

AGC_68

Hope you're having a good day @DEBBIESCOTT
I liked this on emphasizing the protein in your diet and then making up the rest of your required calories from the foods that give you the amounts and kinds of fats and carbs that keep you healthy. I've been increasing my protein intake recently and feeling much better for it.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@AGC_68 found this on a post about low carb low fat after gallbladder removal
New
Gall bladder aside, low fat low carb is necessarily going to mean getting the balance of energy from protein. Particularly if you don't have much body fat to spare. Past a certain point this will bring with it a glucose footprint that may manifest as an issue for some type 2. Many don't report this as a problem but in the end protein must be turned into glucose if it's to be used for energy. The impact appears to be very individual but should definitely be considered.

AGC_68

@AGC_68 found this on a post about low carb low fat after gallbladder removal
New
Gall bladder aside, low fat low carb is necessarily going to mean getting the balance of energy from protein. Particularly if you don't have much body fat to spare. Past a certain point this will bring with it a glucose footprint that may manifest as an issue for some type 2. Many don't report this as a problem but in the end protein must be turned into glucose if it's to be used for energy. The impact appears to be very individual but should definitely be considered.
That is true for sure, and you have to see how it affects you. But one thing is for sure that you have to meet you protein requirements in your diet, there is no way around it, we don't make it and we don't store it in reserves like we do with carbs and fats. Too much of anything is a bad idea long term, carbs, protein or fat. The sweet spot is what we want. In the short erm you can get away with not enough protein, but eventually things will go wrong, there are times when you might want to keep protein a little below what you really need for a while if you are very glycemic, but eventually you have to intake enough protein and as we age we need more as our ability to digest and assimilate it falls. Upping the protein in a highly glycemic individual is a problem, but in someone where the glycemic state is not high, carb intake is controlled, eating enough protein and topping up the rest of your energy requirements with healthy fats seems a good way to go. It's complicated by other individual factors too. I like the overview this guys gives. Bikman is good. His message, control carbs, get enough protein (no choice, don't fear it), make up the rest of your remaining energy requirements with fat fat will be the majority of you energy inout). But get your glycemic state away from being too high first. It is actually really hard to eat too much protein, though not impossible, but unless you go really nuts you'll be ok. But yes, your underlying physiology and responses are going to dictate your desired carb/fat intake. I prefer lower carb and higher fat, so I avoid starches and sugars now. LOL .. I'm watching too many of these videos .. need to stick to "don't laugh challenges" on youtube with my daughter.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Back to logging on mfp from today then, made sure I had 30g protein for dinner last night, according to libre b/s went from 6.4 to 7.9 after 2 hours, might have to have more protein shakes
FBG libre 8.4 contour 7.7
Yesterdays food
First thing mug of tea, 2 pork chipolatas (decided eating first thing doesn’t stop d/p)
At gym/ black coffee & coconut oil, water & strawberry protein powder with almond milk
B/ alpro plain yogurt with dessicated & flaked coconut, almonds, sunflower seeds, blueberries & 3 pork chipolatas
L/ cooked ham, walnuts, 6 cherries, d/g cheese, homemade banana ,oat & blueberry muffin
D/ salmon steak with lemon & pepper (20.9g protein) 2 cheese strings (4g each) marmite peanuts & pecans
Exercise
Warm up 1 mile walk on treadmill
6 sets of deadlifts (increasing weight each time)
Bulgarian split squats with 7kg dumbell 3x8 each leg
Bench press with 2x 7kg dumbells(only me in the gym) 3x 12 sets
1mile row
Before lunch 20minutes Peleton boxing
After lunch another 20minutes
Steps 14,882
Think all this food planning & weighing & logging on mfp is going to be time consuming but going to give it a go, I go straight to work from the gym so have to take breakfast & lunch with me
Thank you for the links & your thoughts, we can do this

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just found this
In general, here is the P:E Diet
  • High Protein
  • Avoidance of Carbs & Fat Together
  • Try to keep the Protein to Energy (fats + carbs) ratio of individual foods and/or means, equal to 1, or greater (more protein than carbs, fats or carbs + fats).
  • Avoid all refined carbohydrates and fats by eating whole food (no sugar, processed food, reduced fats like oils, etc.)
Eat mostly protein, he explains, and you are mostly protein (muscle) and bone. East mostly energy (carbs and fat), and you are mostly energy (fat).

The difference between the P:E diet and Taubes’ Keto Diet recommendations? More protein, less fat. Writes Naiman … “Going out of your way to eat fat instead could fail to increase protein percentage. Example: “butter-chugging” keto dieters.

Like Taubes, Naiman doesn’t encourage calorie counting and does encourage eating to satiety. You should never feel hungry on the P:E diet.

You can eat to satiety as long as protein and/or fiber (leafy veggies) is the dominant macronutrient. This pretty much means every meal should consist of protein and vegetables that grow above the ground like leafy greens, broccoli, mushrooms, cauliflower, string beans, etc.

Below are Naiman’s P:E Diet Guidelines:

• Eat only … Meat (beef, pork, poultry), fish, veggies that grow above ground, eggs, nonfat plain greek yogurt, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados
  • Don’t eat … refined sugar, grains of any type (rice, wheat, oats, corn, etc.), no sauces that use corn syrup/sugar, no veggies that grow below ground, fruit, most cheese, reduced fats (oils, butter- use only enough needed to cook with)
  • You can eat this stuff in moderation – low sugar chocolates, nuts and nut butters (no peanuts), seeds and seed butters, low fat cottage cheese
  • Drink only … coffee, tea, water, zero-calorie drinks (bubble water, diet soda, etc.)
  • Don’t drink sugar/calories, including fruit/vegetable juices, milk, cream
  • Eat meals and snacks with at least a P:E (carbs + fat) ratio of 1:1. To lose fat, eat more protein then energy.
  • No caloric restriction. Eat to satiety. You should never be hungry.
  • Naiman specifically recommends aiming to keep your daily carb intake below 100 grams/day.
  • Do this 7 days/week

AGC_68

Back to logging on mfp from today then, made sure I had 30g protein for dinner last night, according to libre b/s went from 6.4 to 7.9 after 2 hours, might have to have more protein shakes
FBG libre 8.4 contour 7.7
Yesterdays food
First thing mug of tea, 2 pork chipolatas (decided eating first thing doesn’t stop d/p)
At gym/ black coffee & coconut oil, water & strawberry protein powder with almond milk
B/ alpro plain yogurt with dessicated & flaked coconut, almonds, sunflower seeds, blueberries & 3 pork chipolatas
L/ cooked ham, walnuts, 6 cherries, d/g cheese, homemade banana ,oat & blueberry muffin
D/ salmon steak with lemon & pepper (20.9g protein) 2 cheese strings (4g each) marmite peanuts & pecans
Exercise
Warm up 1 mile walk on treadmill
6 sets of deadlifts (increasing weight each time)
Bulgarian split squats with 7kg dumbell 3x8 each leg
Bench press with 2x 7kg dumbells(only me in the gym) 3x 12 sets
1mile row
Before lunch 20minutes Peleton boxing
After lunch another 20minutes
Steps 14,882
Think all this food planning & weighing & logging on mfp is going to be time consuming but going to give it a go, I go straight to work from the gym so have to take breakfast & lunch with me
Thank you for the links & your thoughts, we can do this
WOW!! Amazing day there Debbie. SO impressive. Can really only be described as inspiring mate. Seriously cool!

AGC_68

Just found this
In general, here is the P:E Diet
  • High Protein
  • Avoidance of Carbs & Fat Together
  • Try to keep the Protein to Energy (fats + carbs) ratio of individual foods and/or means, equal to 1, or greater (more protein than carbs, fats or carbs + fats).
  • Avoid all refined carbohydrates and fats by eating whole food (no sugar, processed food, reduced fats like oils, etc.)
Eat mostly protein, he explains, and you are mostly protein (muscle) and bone. East mostly energy (carbs and fat), and you are mostly energy (fat).

The difference between the P:E diet and Taubes’ Keto Diet recommendations? More protein, less fat. Writes Naiman … “Going out of your way to eat fat instead could fail to increase protein percentage. Example: “butter-chugging” keto dieters.

Like Taubes, Naiman doesn’t encourage calorie counting and does encourage eating to satiety. You should never feel hungry on the P:E diet.

You can eat to satiety as long as protein and/or fiber (leafy veggies) is the dominant macronutrient. This pretty much means every meal should consist of protein and vegetables that grow above the ground like leafy greens, broccoli, mushrooms, cauliflower, string beans, etc.

Below are Naiman’s P:E Diet Guidelines:

• Eat only … Meat (beef, pork, poultry), fish, veggies that grow above ground, eggs, nonfat plain greek yogurt, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados
  • Don’t eat … refined sugar, grains of any type (rice, wheat, oats, corn, etc.), no sauces that use corn syrup/sugar, no veggies that grow below ground, fruit, most cheese, reduced fats (oils, butter- use only enough needed to cook with)
  • You can eat this stuff in moderation – low sugar chocolates, nuts and nut butters (no peanuts), seeds and seed butters, low fat cottage cheese
  • Drink only … coffee, tea, water, zero-calorie drinks (bubble water, diet soda, etc.)
  • Don’t drink sugar/calories, including fruit/vegetable juices, milk, cream
  • Eat meals and snacks with at least a P:E (carbs + fat) ratio of 1:1. To lose fat, eat more protein then energy.
  • No caloric restriction. Eat to satiety. You should never be hungry.
  • Naiman specifically recommends aiming to keep your daily carb intake below 100 grams/day.
  • Do this 7 days/week
Thanks so much for that summary! I think I agree with the overwhelming majority of that as an approach. I think a little bit of calorie counting, food logging and macro tracking, until you get a good feel for what is working for you as an individual, is a good idea. While I do agree with him that eating in the way he recommends is going to make it hard to overeat. The one thing he misses out is the "feeding the gut" to maintain a good microbiome, full fat plain Greek yoghurt is great, fibre is great and I kind of feel that some days you should not worry too much about taking in a little more carbs to get some of those other things you need. Sacrifice the perfect macro ratio once in a while to make sure you get the micros. Maybe make up for that a couple of days a week by really dialling back on the carbs a bit more. I certainly agree I am not snacking at night anymore now that I'm eating more protein. FBGs seem to be getting more stable too. It's a good additional perspective or lense through which to view diet and health but like everything it's not going to be the complete silver bullet solution for everyone. But I kind of like it as a good backbone to keep in mind while varying things a little to see how it can work best for anyone of us as an individual.

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

AGC_68

FBG: 5.8
B: 3 eggs, spinach and an avocado
L: Thai green curry (chicken, kale, sweetcorn, fresh coriander and fresh chillies, with cauliflower rice)
D: Same as lunch but a smaller portion; Pudding: Greek yoghurt/berries/pom seeds, choc cookie and brownie protein powders, peanut butter, walnuts and 1 square chopped dark choc

Activity:
~7000 steps

Workout
I was going to have a rest day but felt too restless so ..

Shadow boxing 10 mins

4 x 10 hanging ab crunches on the bar
4 x 8 chin ups
4 x 25 regular press ups
4 x 25 decline press ups
4 x 25 slow deep squats

10 mins static stretching

I didn't push myself hard but did feel good for moving and using the muscles, have to compensate for sitting in front of the PC all day for work.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG: 5.8
B: 3 eggs, spinach and an avocado
L: Thai green curry (chicken, kale, sweetcorn, fresh coriander and fresh chillies, with cauliflower rice)
D: Same as lunch but a smaller portion; Pudding: Greek yoghurt/berries/pom seeds, choc cookie and brownie protein powders, peanut butter, walnuts and 1 square chopped dark choc

Activity:
~7000 steps

Workout
I was going to have a rest day but felt too restless so ..

Shadow boxing 10 mins

4 x 10 hanging ab crunches on the bar
4 x 8 chin ups
4 x 25 regular press ups
4 x 25 decline press ups
4 x 25 slow deep squats

10 mins static stretching

I didn't push myself hard but did feel good for moving and using the muscles, have to compensate for sitting in front of the PC all day for work.
200 press-ups wow & that’s not pushing yourself?

AGC_68

200 press-ups wow & that’s not pushing yourself?
That's my go to easy day workout for when I don't want to stress out the body too much. Press ups have become a lot easier since losing 2 and 1/2 stone since the T2 diagnosis in Sep last year.

Having a proper day off today though ... probably ;)

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's my go to easy day workout for when I don't want to stress out the body too much. Press ups have become a lot easier since losing 2 and 1/2 stone since the T2 diagnosis in Sep last year.

Having a proper day off today though ... probably ;)
But you won’t
Had some good news today
Last week at least another 5-6 months to see a consultant, told to speak to DSN to see if she could get me seen quicker
Today a telephone appointment for 3rd Feb (no clinics at the hospital)

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning
FBG libre 6.5 contour 6
Yesterdays food
Mug of tea & black coffee before work
Strawberry protein shake with almond milk after exercise
B/ 3 eggs scrambled with butter, 2 pork chipolatas
L/mushroom & fennel soup, d/g cheese, walnuts, 4 cherries, cooked ham
D/ roast chicken breast, broccoli green beans
Alpro plain yogurt with coconut, blueberries, almonds & sunflower seeds
All logged on mfp
Carbs 30g 8%
Fat 93g 58%
Protein 122g 34%
Exercise
Am 1.08 mile dog walk with friend
Am 60 minutes Peleton boxing
After dinner intermediate plank workout, 1000 rotations hoola hoop, 50 dumbell halos

Think higher protein & logging on mfp is the way to go, just time consuming weighing & logging everything
Have a good day, it’s nearly the weekend

AGC_68

But you won’t
Had some good news today
Last week at least another 5-6 months to see a consultant, told to speak to DSN to see if she could get me seen quicker
Today a telephone appointment for 3rd Feb (no clinics at the hospital)
Wonderful news! Delighted to hear that :):)

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

AGC_68

Good morning
FBG libre 6.5 contour 6
Yesterdays food
Mug of tea & black coffee before work
Strawberry protein shake with almond milk after exercise
B/ 3 eggs scrambled with butter, 2 pork chipolatas
L/mushroom & fennel soup, d/g cheese, walnuts, 4 cherries, cooked ham
D/ roast chicken breast, broccoli green beans
Alpro plain yogurt with coconut, blueberries, almonds & sunflower seeds
All logged on mfp
Carbs 30g 8%
Fat 93g 58%
Protein 122g 34%
Exercise
Am 1.08 mile dog walk with friend
Am 60 minutes Peleton boxing
After dinner intermediate plank workout, 1000 rotations hoola hoop, 50 dumbell halos

Think higher protein & logging on mfp is the way to go, just time consuming weighing & logging everything
Have a good day, it’s nearly the weekend
Awesome FBG Debbie!
Loving the macros .. will start logging mine on fit bit dashboard .. maybe .. so time consuming! LOL

FBG: 6.0
B: 3 Egg omelette with mushrooms, spinach, broccoli and cheese
L: 3 chicken thighs, roasted with garlic and spices, large green salad with avocado and red onions (no dressing)
D: Same as lunch, pudding Greek yoghurt and protein powder with berries, pom seeds and nuts, 1 square dark choc

Activity:
Steps: ~ 15000

Workout:
Nothing .. took a rest day!!

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great FBG as always
Exactly how was 15,000 a rest day?
Think the more protein less fat idea may just work
Son may have just messed it all up though, he went to Las Vegas last weekend on a ‘work trip’ last weekend, his girlfriend rang him this afternoon to say she’s got covid, he’s done a test & he’s got it too & I’ve been sat in an office with him
I’ve just done a test & I’m negative (libre still has me in the 5’s) so ok for now
Hope you’re having a good day

AGC_68

Oh my! I hope you stay negative. And of course, I hope your boy stays well and symptom free.
I have just heard from a friend of mine in Scotland. He tested positive yesterday after a few days of coughing, his wife thankfully has had two negative tests despite sharing a house with him.
Fingers crossed for you all.

Good day here thanks, quite day at work ... I'm eyeing up the punchbag!