Fasting Blood Sugar this morning + yesterday's food AND physical activity

AGC_68

FBG: 5.7

B: Greek yoghurt, pomegranate seeds, protein powder, peanut butter and walnuts
L: Roast chicken breast with spices, roasted aubergines, salad with sumac and olive oil and pomegranate seeds
D: 2 eggs, roast chicken breast with spices, lots of spinach sautéed with garlic and spices, pudding: Greek Yoghurt, pomegranate seeds, choc protein powder, crunchy peanut butter and walnuts
Snacks: sugar free sweets and diet sodas

Activity:
~7000 steps

Workout:
Warmup with shadow boxing for 15 minutes to get myself in the mood to work out

5 x 10 kettlebell goblet squats with 32 kg bell
4 x 25 press ups
4 x 8 shoulder press with a pair of 20 kg bells
4x 5 bent over rows left and right side with a 32 kg bell
4 x 8 bicep curls with a pair of 18kg dumb bells
4 x 30 ab crunches

RHR: 53

Planning a walk and some burpees today.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning
Fantastic FBG, did the burpee’s happen?
FBG libre 8.1, contour 6.6
Yesterdays food
B/ 3 eggs scrambled & slice of crusty soughdough toast with butter
L/ homemade mushroom & fennel soup, slice of homemade low carb banana & walnut bread, cold roast beef, couple pork chipolatas & d/g cheese
D/ roast turkey & courgette fritters ( they were lovely will be making again, thanks for the recipe @AGC_68) slice of home cooked haselet
Alpro yogurt with flaked & dessicated coconut, blueberries, sunflower seeds & almonds
Exercise
am/ 3.18 mile run, stretch
pm/ 2,38 mile dog walk
evening/ intermediate plank workout, 600 hoola hoop rotations (300 each way)
Steps 18,715

AGC_68

Good morning :)
So glad you liked the fritters! I made some homemade pesto and mixed it with Greek yoghurt to eat with them. Really tasty.

No, the burpees didn't happen. Had family staying over still so it was a late night again. Burpees were seeming a bit too intense for 11 PM when I was finally free. They left this morning. House is very quiet now!! I also have some toddler damage to repair!

FBG: 6.0
B: Greek yoghurt, protein powder, pomegranate seeds, crunchy peanut butter, walnuts
L: Chick peas, halloumi, Thai green chicken curry (left overs had to be finished - no cauliflower rice)
D: Roasted chicken breast with spices, stir fried vegetables, garlic yoghurt, pudding: same Greek yoghurt/protein/nut/seed mix as breakfast

Activity:
~7000 steps

Workout:
very quick workout as it was late 11 PM

10 mins shadow boxing

4 times around circuit below no breaks:
Bent over row with 32kg bell (5 L,5R)
5 hammer curls with 32 kg bell
50 press ups
25 squats (just bodyweight)
25 lunges (just bodyweight)
30 crunches

Some light stretching to warm down.

Nice quite day today, may do some low impact, speed and technique work on the punchbag today.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you do the hula hoop rotations for mobility?
No, I do the plank workouts & hoola hoop for core strength & I like having abs, also do them after dinner to get heart rate up & lower blood sugar

AGC_68

No, I do the plank workouts & hoola hoop for core strength & I like having abs, also do them after dinner to get heart rate up & lower blood sugar
Abs is kewl
I can only get a 4 pack the way my rectus abdominis is structured, no matter how low the body fat gets. And not a very defined 4 pack at that LOL that. But that'll do me.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning
FBG libre 6.6 contour 5.9
Yesterdays food
Mug of tea before pt, black coffee & coconut oil, strawberry protein shake with almond milk & water @ gym
B/ shredded turkey & courgette fritters & 2 fried eggs
L/ cold roast beef, slice of haselet, 6 cherries, homemade mushroom & fennel soup
D/ salmon & avocado salad (spinach, rocket & watercress) tomatoes, cucumber, pinenuts, pomegranate seeds & salad cream,
Slice of homemade low carb banana & walnut bread with butter & d/g cheese
13,445 steps
I’ve always had a flat stomach but need core strength for workouts, my old trainer left the gym at beginning of September & new one is absolutely brilliant, another pb deadlift yesterday
He’s an ex GB triathlete & knows all about exercise & nutrition
Have a good day

AGC_68

Great FBG! Nice going!

Mushroom and fennel soup sounds delish! .. what's the recipe?

~9000 steps

Evening workout

Shadow kickboxing 10 mins

4 times around the bodyweight circuit below as fast as possible, no breaks

8 toes to the bar
5 close grip L-sit chin ups
25 press ups (hands on a hard foam roller)
10 diamond pike press ups
25 squats
25 lunges

15 mins static stretching
Feeling fit and mobile these days, prefer the toes to the bar and L-sits to the crunches so will stick to them I think.

PT sounds great. Triathletes are like machines.

Going to give it a week or two, see how the post Christmas COVID wave goes and then maybe go back to jujitsu classes again.

Have a great day :)

Last edited:

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2 and PAF & now Haemochromatosis!
Hi, I’m a newbie.
Diagnosed in July21. I’m having problem with fasting glucose levels and found you all here.

GL: 9.6 and I’n not happy

Breakfast this morning: 2 eggs scrambled, 3 tiny toms on 1/2 slice whole grain home baked bread

Reactions: AGC_68

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great FBG! Nice going!

~9000 steps

Evening workout

8 toes to the bar
25 squats
25 lunges

Feeling fit and mobile these days, prefer the toes to the bar and L-sits to the crunches so will stick to them I think.

Going to give it a week or two, see how the post Christmas COVID wave goes and then maybe go back to jujitsu classes again.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great FBG! Nice going!

~9000 steps

Evening workout

8 toes to the bar
25 squats
25 lunges

AGC_68

Hi, I’m a newbie.
Diagnosed in July21. I’m having problem with fasting glucose levels and found you all here.

GL: 9.6 and I’n not happy

Breakfast this morning: 2 eggs scrambled, 3 tiny toms on 1/2 slice whole grain home baked bread

Hi Angela
Were you diagnosed Type 2?
Have you been low carb for a while?
What did you eat yesterday? Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks?
Any physical activity?

I was diagnosed back in Early sept 2021.
First I just tried cutting out starches and sugars, but the effect on blood glucose levels wasn't huge, an improvement but not enough. So I went on the Newcastle protocol and low carb. So that was very low calories for about 10 weeks and what I ate was low carb. That really made a difference. I needed to lose the internal fat I had built up in and around the internal organs, especially liver and pancreas. It took time but it did work. It is definitely worth trying. There are resources on this site that you might find really helpful. Start with this link (it will lead you to other useful links too):

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/reversing-diabetes.html

The key points are:
  • You have to lose some of that internal or belly fat. That means calorie restriction. You'll see results quicker if you go on a very low calorie diet for 2 to 3 months.
  • Reduce the carbohydrate intake in your diet drastically - no sugar, no starches (bread, pasta, potatoes etc.). Emphasize whole foods with plenty of protein, don't avoid natural healthy fats, eat plenty of non starchy vegetables with lots of greens and other colours. Make sure you get enough protein. You don't store it, you will need to eat it everyday, especially if you go low calorie. The body wants you to keep eating until you've had enough protein, make up the rest of your calories from healthy fats and non starchy veggies. The fat that comes naturally with eggs, fish, chicken, red meat and full fat Greek yoghurt is good to eat, fats like olive oils, and from avocados and nuts are good too. I used my Fitbit dashboard to log what I ate every day (if you don't have a Fitbit use an app or website like myfitnesspal to log your food). It gave me an understanding of how many calories I ate and how many grams of Protein, Fat and Carbs I was getting in. It really focussed things for me. The "800" books by Michael Mosley based on the great work by Prof Taylor in Newcastle describe really well what you need to do and give good advice and tips.
  • Move more, doesn't have to be crazily strenuous- walks, repeatedly sitting down and getting up from a wooden chair at the kitchen table, press ups (whatever is doable, hands on a wall, hands on a table, hands on the floor, whatever you can do). Again Mosley's books are helpful on this.
  • Be patient, and don't be too hard on yourself, it takes time. Work with your doctor. I told my doctor I was going to try diet and lifestyle rather than the Metformin she was going to prescribe. I didn't get any contact regarding support for T2 from the NHS for months. By then I'd sorted it out myself . But I kept track of my BGs with a monitor and I did find that after about 7 or 8 weeks there were really good changes. If your BGs are spiking a lot talk to your GP, they may prescribe meds to help. They can reduce or even stop your meds once the low carb diet starts to make you less insulin resistant and bring your BGs down.
Good luck, don't be disheartened. Take it one day at a time. There are forums on here with people who have found good health by going low carb or combining low carb with meds. Everyone is really helpful, everyone remembers how it felt when they were first diagnosed and the journey to get to good BG levels. I really recommend the Fast 800 book, it gives great background and good practical tips. Feel free to ask questions. Someone on here will have been through what are going through right now and will be able to help.

All the best to you :)

Reactions: Angela64

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@AGC_68
Mushroom& fennel soup
500g mushrooms (any sort you like)
200g fennel
50g shallots
6 cloves garlic (I used lazy garlic)
Soy sauce (to taste)
Tarragon (I didn’t bother)
750ml chicken or vegetable stock
Cream to stir in at the end
It’s really nice if you can get past the colour,
Really impressed with you doing the 800 diet, pleased it worked for you, personally I couldn’t do it, someone kindly gave me the book though

AGC_68

Cheers Debbie!
Loving the look of that recipe. Mushroom, fennel, garlic, shallots, cream, tarragon .. all things I love!! I can just imagine the colour! LOL .. but hey that's mushrooms! Fennel is now on the list for tomorrow!

Thanks re the 800. But really, it was only possible because I had the weight to lose. I hadn't noticed it creep up so much over the years :rolleyes:

I really wish I'd realised earlier. But hey, all positive from here onwards. My glucose and insulin levels will be much better from now on, and I look better, which is a nice bonus. I won't be able to use my weight in the same way when sparring and rolling though, but I'll take better health over that any day LOL. In March I'll get he next HBA1C test, I'm pretty sure it'll confirm that T2 is in remission or at least well on the way.

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning
FBG libre 6.5 contour 5.3
B/ 2 boiled eggs & 4 pork chipolata soldiers
L/ salmon & avocado salad with pine nuts & pomegranate seeds, mushroom & fennel soup
D/ cold roast beef & haselet, walnuts, d/g & slice of low carb banana & walnut bread, last 4 cherries
Exercise
1.05 mile walk before work
1.01 mile run after work
Intermediate plank workout & 700 hoola hoop rotations after dinner
Hope you are in remission in March, you deserve it, you put all the hard work in, don’t think I’ll ever get there, blood sugar so unpredictable, I’ve done keto before (less than 20g carbs a day) & it still makes no difference, seems like the message to release insulin doesn’t always get through, still waiting for consultant appointment

AGC_68

Hey, great FBGs!
Thanks @DEBBIESCOTT .. maybe I will get to remission maybe not. It would be nice to get there. There seems to be so much variability in BG measures from these strips that I'm not sure what the figures really are for my BG. They are much lower than they used to be though, and I don't get any of the classic symptoms now. If I'm not in remission I'll start on the Metformin, but I'll stick to this diet and lifestyle, so that I can keep my doses to the minimum. Stay as healthy as possible and stop it progressing hopefully.

You do a great job with your diet and activity. You will benefit from it. If you need meds to keep the BGs in a good range, so what? You are going to be healthy and fit. That is what really matters for you and your family. Thanks for keeping me motivated with your activity and posts mate. It really helps!

FBG: 6.0
B: Greek yoghurt, berries and pomegranate seeds, protein powder, crushed walnuts
L: 1 Roasted chicken breast with garlic and spices, large green salad with red onions and pomegranate seeds
D: Diced chicken thighs, stir fried cauliflower rice with, garlic ginger, chilli, soy sauce, mushrooms and aubergines, pudding: Greek yoghurt, berries, choc protein powder, crunchy peanut butter, 1 square of dark choc chopped and sprinkled on top

I'm getting a new flavour of sugar free protein powder delivered today! Chocolate brownie flavour! I am more excited about this than I should be!

Activity:
Steps ~10,000

Workout
Dynamic stretching

4 times around the circuit below, no breaks:
a. 10 chest to floor burpees
b. 12 inverted bodyweight rows (feet up on a chair)
c. 25 press ups, hands shoulder width on roller
d. 10 L-sit leg raises
e. 10 diamond press ups (hands on foam roller)
f. 25 squats
g. 25 lunges

Whatever happens with my BGs and potential meds in the future, at least I am getting fitter. I forgot to use the workout function on my Fitbit and it auto-recognised my workout as being about as taxing as a brisk walk! LOL

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Trainer is a machine, only person I know can do 100 push-ups no stopping with a weighted vest on,
Actually sat & watched him & he’s not even breathing heavy

AGC_68

Trainer is a machine, only person I know can do 100 push-ups no stopping with a weighted vest on,
Actually sat & watched him & he’s not even breathing heavy
Brilliant .. just got to admire that kind of ability. It is not just the hard work that they do, but the inherent talent too. A team GB triathlete is going to be one in the top 0.5%, a genetically blessed, highly disciplined, and very motivated individual. Great to have a trainer like that, I can imagine how motivating it must be. Awesome.