First Blood Test Results 3months after being diagnosed

ljdub

I have just phoned up my doctors for my results on my recent blood test, this is the first one after being diagnosed in October 21, originally my hb1ac level was 71.

I have managed to exercise everyday by walking my mad dog and shed around 3.5 stone in the process whilst also trying to keep to a low carb diet and basically watching what i eat and drink.

The results amazed me they had dropped to 38 and 5.6%, looking at level indicators this puts me as non-diabetic/remission i think. I have asked to speak to a nurse/doctor to go over my results and chat about what i should be doing or not doing but this has made me so happy and this is thanks to this wonderful forum although i havent posted as much as i should it has some fantastic information.

My only though was is this possible to drop this much so quickly and if not could it be i was misdiagnosed or is there a longer process. I am taking 4 metaformin tablets a day as well so hopefully i can come off these?

LjDub

Reactions: Genevie and klogs17

Pammypants

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being cold
well done all your hard work and dedication has paid off, please keep up the good habits.

Reactions: coby and ljdub

daffy1

Dislikes
garlic, pubs
Congratulations on doing so well. I wouldn’t rush to come off the medication as it could be that , that is helping you. I would keep in touch with you DN and talk about maybe reducing the metformin and see if that makes any difference to your BG . I would keep up with the exercise and moniter your carb intake

Reactions: ljdub

Buster_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's a tremendous result in just 3 months, you can feel enormously proud of that turn around. The reward for your efforts will be a much safer, healthier and happier future - Bravo!

I'm not sure you need advice from the Doctor or DN on what you should be doing, you seem to already have that absolutely cracked!

Tapering down the Metformin certainly is an option, I chose to do that when my blood sugars returned to the 30's although I still take 500mg a day for its other benefits. You may see a small rise in your BS levels as you reduce your dosage but it's unlikely to be dramatic.

Keep going!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

LINMARIE

I have just phoned up my doctors for my results on my recent blood test, this is the first one after being diagnosed in October 21, originally my hb1ac level was 71.

I have managed to exercise everyday by walking my mad dog and shed around 3.5 stone in the process whilst also trying to keep to a low carb diet and basically watching what i eat and drink.

The results amazed me they had dropped to 38 and 5.6%, looking at level indicators this puts me as non-diabetic/remission i think. I have asked to speak to a nurse/doctor to go over my results and chat about what i should be doing or not doing but this has made me so happy and this is thanks to this wonderful forum although i havent posted as much as i should it has some fantastic information.

My only though was is this possible to drop this much so quickly and if not could it be i was misdiagnosed or is there a longer process. I am taking 4 metaformin tablets a day as well so hopefully i can come off these?

LjDub
What wonderful news this is so uplifting for me to read and you say low carb diet but did you follow anything in particular? Your readings and weight came down so quickly Any chance you could give me a typical few days of what you would eat would love to know as I have embarked on a low carb diet but I would like to see what other people eat for breakfast lunch and dinner as well as never dine low carb inky low fat in the past! Congrats again and yes hopefully off meds forever but what a huge drop I suppose mis diagnosis is possible but were you tested twice when you say you had a 71 reading?

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Savage result.
I went from 10 years on the couch to walking our dog religiously 3kms per day, more at weekends.
Love getting into the fields across from the house, happiest place on earth.

This sudden movement & weight loss put me straight into remission too.
So, in my mathematical mind, reversal of diabetes comes down to reducing carbs & getting an active dog.

ljdub

Thanks for the comments, It came as a massive shock to me and virtually cut out carbs for the first month but then just started testing bloods on things that I thought may trigger my blood levels.

I didn’t snack at all and just had breakfast lunch and dinners and the portions were a lot less than I used to have as well as walking 2-3k a day with the dog, I’ve never walked so much.

Don’t get me wrong it wasn’t easy and had a few nights where I would have a couple of beers or a takeaways but in the back of my mind I always thought about being T2 and that stopped me over indulging.

Thanks again and onwards and upward

Higaomo

Congratulations! Very well done!
My recent 3 month retest gave a result of 34 (from 94 at diagnosis in Oct 21), so it certainly is possible to drop so much so quickly :)
After discussion with my nurse we’ve decided to try reducing my metformin to 2 x 500 a day (from 2 x 1000), keep checking my BG every morning to make sure it isn’t creeping up and retest HbA1c in 8 weeks. She also suggested that I can be slightly less restricted with my diet, as I was eating a strict low carb diet, but to be cautious, no point in going mad and undoing it again!

Last edited:

LINMARIE

Congratulations! Very well done!
My recent 3 month retest gave a result of 34 (from 94 at diagnosis in Oct 21), so it certainly is possible to drop so much so quickly :)
After discussion with my nurse we’ve decided to try reducing my metformin to 2 x 500 a day (from 2 x 1000), keep checking my BG every morning to make sure it isn’t creeping up and retest HbA1c in 8 weeks. She also suggested that I can be slightly less restricted with my diet, as I was eating a strict low carb diet, but to be cautious, no point in going mad and undoing it again!

O my another great reply to read and wow from 94 to 34!!! and in 3 months!!! that is truly amazing and I agree yes be cautious and up diet a little slowly but I am so interested to know when your nurse said to up the diet a bit what sort of things did she suggest as I haven't touched a slice of bread since being diagnosed but I have heard that Hovis seed is ok to eat so a slice of that in the future would be good as lunch time is a bit of a struggle sometimes (today was great had stufffed mushrooms as I am home). You see I am a bit of an ahead thinker with everything ha ha

Also does that mean in the future you might be able to eat something that everyone else "healthy"takes for granted like a packet of crisps without having to run off and test (not saying that I will want the crisps) but I trying to get my head around this that if peoples HBA1C are coming down and in remission does that in remission as being the same as a healthy person?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
O my another great reply to read and wow from 94 to 34!!! and in 3 months!!! that is truly amazing and I agree yes be cautious and up diet a little slowly but I am so interested to know when your nurse said to up the diet a bit what sort of things did she suggest as I haven't touched a slice of bread since being diagnosed but I have heard that Hovis seed is ok to eat so a slice of that in the future would be good as lunch time is a bit of a struggle sometimes (today was great had stufffed mushrooms as I am home). You see I am a bit of an ahead thinker with everything ha ha

Also does that mean in the future you might be able to eat something that everyone else "healthy"takes for granted like a packet of crisps without having to run off and test (not saying that I will want the crisps) but I trying to get my head around this that if peoples HBA1C are coming down and in remission does that in remission as being the same as a healthy person?

Unfortunately no, being on remission isn't the same as Diabetes being cured. If somebody is in remission, they may be able to eat some more carbs than before without getting their Blood Glucose going too high, but if they eat the same as they did to get diabetes - then the result will be the same, they will have diabetic Blood Glucose levels again. Note there types of bread that have around half the carbs per slice than does Hovis, some of which can be found in some supermarkets.

Who told you that Hovis is OK to eat? - OK for who to eat? The only way to know for sure is to test it with a Blood Glucose meter. For anything with carbs in it there is no food that suits everybody. I just read of someone who finds strawberries spike them , but they are OK with raspberries. Likewise, there are some Diabetics who can eat porridge for breakfast - but for many/most that would get them off to a really bad start to the day.

Higaomo

I went along the shelf in the supermarket looking at the back of every bread wrapper at the carbs per slice figure and picked the lowest one. It’s 13.5g per slice (the bread I was eating before diagnosis was 28g! :arghh:) and one slice doesn’t seem to raise my BG significantly, for which I am thankful, but everyone is different.

Binkz

Try Livlife seriously seeded sliced bread 3.4g carb per slice
IMG_8034.jpg

ljdub

I managed to speak to my doctor and she suggested I stop my metformin and carry on what I’m doing regarding dirt and exercise and see what the blood levels are in 3months

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!

LjDub
CONGRATULATIONS! You are a star and it shows others that it can be done with the right mind set. I took six years to get to the right mindset, but also am where you are now. Thank you for posting your amazing achievements

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So delighted for you - WELL DONE!

And well done to your Dr. too, for being so supportive and sensible.