BLOOD PRESSURE FOR DIABETICS

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
One of my wicked pleasures in life is watching a HCP take my blood pressure and go out to find another machine as theirs has to be broken - because they assume I will have high blood pressure and mine is normal despite my diet and not going to the gym.
I am 68 years old.

Reactions: ultradad and zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One of my wicked pleasures in life is watching a HCP take my blood pressure and go out to find another machine as theirs has to be broken - because they assume I will have high blood pressure and mine is normal despite my diet and not going to the gym.
I am 68 years old.
lol ...whilst I actually did break 3 machines at my surgery because my BP was so very high that the cuffs broke (that was 11 years ago)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it possible for a diabetic blood pressure to be under 130/80? I am 69
I don't know my current numbers but before t2 diagnosis my BP was always "normal". Since low carbing and losing weight, my BP is more often "low" so I do take extra salt, as and when I remember or feel light headed, whichever comes first

Reactions: Iswole

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Many Diabetics suffer from High Blood Pressure - Hypertension. It is something that can be treated well but first of all you need to know that you actually have it.

It is not something that you will always feel or notice, the signs and symptoms can often be missed or confused with something else. The only way to find out if you have it is by testing your BP.

If you do have high BP a single test once in a while is not going to be much help so just having it tested at a Clinic every few months is not really a good way to know if it is under control.

The best way is to buy yourself a good quality Arm Cuff tester and test at home at various times of the day/night. Then you will know how your BP is throughout a day. It will vary due to many things, so don't expect it to remain the same all the time.

The charts that tell you what is a good BP to have are for people who have no other risk factors.

If you are a Diabetic the present recommendation is that your BP should be lower than 130/80 if possible to avoid further complications. What is 'normal' for a non-Diabetic is NOT 'normal' for a Diabetic. You need to understand that first thing..........

Here is a link to the UK Blood Pressure Association website where there is much information.

http://www.bpassoc.org.uk/BloodPressure ... odpressure
Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately, I am severely allergic to antihypertensives; possibly due to interaction with other drugs, they landed me in the ER. I am trying to keep the salt down, and exercise as much as I can.

boggle

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Water is equally responsible for raising blood pressure as salt. When you eat more salt you hold more water and this raises your blood pressure. It probably isn't a big deal for most people. You need sodium for your nervous system.

Reactions: ella b and Iswole

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
My blood pressure was 120/80 when I was diagnosed as Type 2 (HbA1c = 104!)
I went low carb, lost weight, exercised more and for the last 7 years it has hovered around 110/70. I am 67. If anything I still eat quite a lot of salt, mostly on nuts.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Six years ago I posted that my BP tended to be low but years later -Having tried 2 types of antihypertensives encouraged to take when BP ok to reduce likelihood . I had to stop both due to sudden dizziness causing several injury’s. As my bp was fine then/ I refused to take any longer .
I now have high blood pressure now but unsure what to do. Should I try again? Have not informed clinic/ GP as think there’s no other option. I eat healthy diet exercise every day / aerobic / and or walks. Type one since 1966 age 4.( Now 61) Any advice/ experience in this area please would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My blood pressure was 120/80 when I was diagnosed as Type 2 (HbA1c = 104!)
I went low carb, lost weight, exercised more and for the last 7 years it has hovered around 110/70. I am 67. If anything I still eat quite a lot of salt, mostly on nuts.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well done Dr Snoody. Unfortunately mine was like that but no longer.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Looks like I may just have to deal with high BP possible problems. Or dizzy spells accidents. Sad really after working so hard for decades with Diabetes management.

Iswole

Water is equally responsible for raising blood pressure as salt. When you eat more salt you hold more water and this raises your blood pressure. It probably isn't a big deal for most people. You need sodium for your nervous system.
Water raising blood pressure? This is scary. I drink a lot of water and I am hypertensive

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Drinking an excess of water would cause an increase in the blood volume which then causes an increase in the pressure on the walls of blood vessels. Healthy arteries are usually flexible enough to respond to this increase in pressure. Healthy kidneys then remove the excess water which is eventually removed from the body as urine.
There are various formulae for calculating the optimum volume of water required per individual per day some which try to account for water present in food (often forgotten), activity level and external temperature as well as the water in beverages. The calculated amounts vary hugely. IMHO we are often told to drink far more water than we actually need, usually by manufacturers of expensive bottled water! Others may disagree!

PXJmcr

Blood Pressure

Mines a little high but the doctor says nothing to worry about - its generally 130 - 135 / 80 something.

I would really like it to be down in the 120's. I do excercise, I do eat veg and I take 1/2 asprin per day. Has anybody any natural tips for lowering blood pressure? I've heard Broccoli is good?

carl
Beetroot is apparently good for naturally lowering blood pressure. I’m no expert though so that may not be correct.