Libre alarms not working.

Garyg 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Changed my Libre sensor a few days ago and have noticed that the alarms are not working, have tried to reset everything but still not working, any ideas?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you certain that it was a Libre 2 and you weren't accidentally given a Libre 1?

(Sorry, I don't have one active to be able to check my LibreLink app to explain how to confirm.)

Garyg 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you certain that it was a Libre 2 and you weren't accidentally given a Libre 1?

(Sorry, I don't have one active to be able to check my LibreLink app to explain how to confirm.)
Hi, just checked the box and it is definitely a libre 2

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Changed my Libre sensor a few days ago and have noticed that the alarms are not working, have tried to reset everything but still not working, any ideas?

Hi,

"Wood for the trees" time.. Has the app notifications been blocked? In settings..

Reactions: Smiler99

Smiler99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles
I'm having the same thing for a few weeks now

Tryanother

I have had the same problem from time to time, and Abbot told me it was the fault of the sensor, not the reader, so they replaced it. I have a different alarm problem….it will alarm every few minutes if my blood sugar is low but when it is rising it often alarms only once at the set upper limit. After that, my blood sugar could rise and rise, but no alarm !

David Brad

My freestyle libre has always worked off and on on my android phone (some times works better when I leave my phone upstairs you can hear the alarm from downstairs lol)

dkkc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Recently I have had 2 faulty sensors - both were replaced by Abbott.

just got my Hb1c - per lab it was 7 where as using sensor showed 6. Difference not got. I have compared results using sensor and strip. Sometimes there is us a difference of 1 to 2 - strip always higher

Steveee

Alarms not working is a common complaint. Here’s my view on a few things.
1. Libre uses Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) which can be interfered with things such as WiFi so you may have had temporary signal loss
2. The BLE part of the sensor can fail. If your alarms previously worked with the device that started the sensor, it’s probably an issue with the sensor
3. Alarm keeps on going off - when you cancel alarm on phone or reader you must scan. It’s a safety thing, I.e. until you scan you don’t actually know what the reading is. Strangely, if you also get alarms mirrored on a smartwatch, when you cancel alarm on the smartwatch the alarm doesn’t repeat!
4. Alarm only goes off when you cross the alarm threshold. If you scanned, it won’t repeat until you cross the threshold again

Reactions: Optium

Anita_F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I also had the same issues with two sensors in a row too started the sensors Libra 2 on my iPhone as stated following all directions and my app said that I had to start my sensor on my i phone to make it able to have alarms ……
I found it really frustrating began to wonder if I was going crazy as I always use my i phone to start the sensors not my blue reader . However I think we should be able to use the reader along side the i phone as our phones can run out of battery and then you need to take a whole blood test to find out what your blood sugar is doing it would be more practical to have both working properly . I am an older lady and have been using the libra sensors since they were first brought out self funded until nice put them on prescription. I think that these teething issues should have been fixed by now at present with my current sensor I find that it won’t always talk to my phone . I always carry my phone in my pocket in range of my sensor and charges it each night to stop any issues occurring. When I sleep my phone is on charge next to my bed about 2 feet away from the sensor on my arm . It still often won’t register any readings when it’s supposed to . I am awake often as my mum has dementia and her alarm goes off and I check her . At the same time I take a reading scanning my sensor , because the. Sensor hasn’t worked properly I suddenly get a high blood sugar warning a minute after which is annoying . I would have taken the insulin earlier to counter act the rise in blood sugar if the app was communicating properly . It’s not us it’s the tech that has the issues not sure what can be done about this problem I think out of the last half dozen sensors I’ve had at least 1/2 of them not communicating with my phone correctly . My husband who is an electronic engineer and deals with software design and computers has told be it’s the sensors that are not working correctly due to the software on the app . I usually wait until I start up a new sensor and hope that it works properly but having seen your post I will be getting a replacement for the faulty sensors from now on .

Billone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have had problems with alarms not working, especially the signal loss alarm. My phone gives a loud warning about this. I worked with Abbot on the phone and we ended up uninstalling the app and reinstalling it (all app data on the phone will be lost but it is still in Libre View). That worked for a couple of days then I had to do the reinstall again. Abbot tell me they have elevated the problem.

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Gary
I had a Libre 2 sensor for nearly a year and my big gripe is how often the alarms don't work. Sometimes it notifies me but most times it doesn't. I have had tortuous conversations with Abbott helpline and they have sent me a replacement sensor on one occasion so you could try talking to them. I found they have a script and don't actually listen to what you are telling them! I have also tried unistalling the Libre App and then reinstalling it but of course you lose your data (the new Libra View report should help with that.
I can only suggest that you test more often to get an idea where you are. It's frustrating as you check all the settings on your phone (mine's an Android), check that Bluetooth is on and also that Do Not Disturb is OFF. I share your frustration!
Lynne

I have phoned Abbott and they have agreed to replace the sensor so that seems to be the way to go.

Last edited:

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I also had the same issues with two sensors in a row too started the sensors Libra 2 on my iPhone as stated following all directions and my app said that I had to start my sensor on my i phone to make it able to have alarms ……
I found it really frustrating began to wonder if I was going crazy as I always use my i phone to start the sensors not my blue reader . However I think we should be able to use the reader along side the i phone as our phones can run out of battery and then you need to take a whole blood test to find out what your blood sugar is doing it would be more practical to have both working properly . I am an older lady and have been using the libra sensors since they were first brought out self funded until nice put them on prescription. I think that these teething issues should have been fixed by now at present with my current sensor I find that it won’t always talk to my phone . I always carry my phone in my pocket in range of my sensor and charges it each night to stop any issues occurring. When I sleep my phone is on charge next to my bed about 2 feet away from the sensor on my arm . It still often won’t register any readings when it’s supposed to . I am awake often as my mum has dementia and her alarm goes off and I check her . At the same time I take a reading scanning my sensor , because the. Sensor hasn’t worked properly I suddenly get a high blood sugar warning a minute after which is annoying . I would have taken the insulin earlier to counter act the rise in blood sugar if the app was communicating properly . It’s not us it’s the tech that has the issues not sure what can be done about this problem I think out of the last half dozen sensors I’ve had at least 1/2 of them not communicating with my phone correctly . My husband who is an electronic engineer and deals with software design and computers has told be it’s the sensors that are not working correctly due to the software on the app . I usually wait until I start up a new sensor and hope that it works properly but having seen your post I will be getting a replacement for the faulty sensors from now on .
You're not alone! Same issues as you so it seems the problems are with the sensors and Abbott should have sorted this out by now. Good luck.
Lynne

Pat13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
All of the above comments about the alarms on the freestyle 2 sound very familiar to.me. I have been using freestyle also since it was introduced and self funded. I tried using my android phone alongside my reader and have to say I find the reader the better option. I would also comment that lately the sensors are failing more often, but Abbott do replace them.

dex71

Hello, I have just moved to Libra 2 and yesterday night I went hypo, but the alarm only went off once I turned on the reader, is it normal? Should the reader always be on in order to send the alarms?? Please let me know as it was the first time I've used it.