Type 2 Holiday preparation

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are getting near heading off abroad for the first time in 2 years, which is coincidentally the same time as I have been diagnosed.
Firstly we had a letter from the holiday company saying we needed "fit to fly" tests at extra costs (about £100)
OK we thought, so be it
Then we've had another letter saying our destination has relaxed rules and we no longer need the tests
Hurrah I thought and promptly headed off to order 2 libres (£100) as I feel so much better knowing my bg when I am not in control of buying and cooking most of my own food.

My plan is to stick to low carb as much as possible and have small tastes and bites of whatever my non-diabetic husband has. That way I can experience tastes and flavours and watch for any unsuspected baddies via the Libre.

What holiday preparation tips and tricks do you have?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

1) Do a bit of research about local restaurants and supermarkets, both near where you’ll be staying and in areas you plan to visit.

2) If it’s a long flight, eat a large fry-up at the airport to reduce chances of succumbing to on board nastiness!

Reactions: lessci and MrsA2

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are getting near heading off abroad for the first time in 2 years, which is coincidentally the same time as I have been diagnosed.
Firstly we had a letter from the holiday company saying we needed "fit to fly" tests at extra costs (about £100)
OK we thought, so be it
Then we've had another letter saying our destination has relaxed rules and we no longer need the tests
Hurrah I thought and promptly headed off to order 2 libres (£100) as I feel so much better knowing my bg when I am not in control of buying and cooking most of my own food.

My plan is to stick to low carb as much as possible and have small tastes and bites of whatever my non-diabetic husband has. That way I can experience tastes and flavours and watch for any unsuspected baddies via the Libre.

You'll have to decide where to stick the Libre to avoid unsightly white blobs. Or maybe I'm the only one that vain!!:hilarious::hilarious:

Enjoy your holiday.

Reactions: Mrs HJG and MrsA2

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah, bon voyage @MrsA2

I'd agree with @Goonergal on the breakfast fuel up.
Some LCHF friendly snacks, would be useful.

Depending where you are going , food etc

I'd say ..it's a holiday ..
Enjoy it, it's 2-3 weeks .
Don't let worrying too much about eating make it a miserable one

Took many years to get sick, have a good time but sensible one, and redo efforts once back after having a wonderful time ,. My top tip.

On a aside, first trip for us was India
Oh dear rice, nan breads etc.

So I lightened up, as I suggested above .
But did test once or twice for each meal type.

I ate smaller portions then normal, but nothing seemed to spike me abnormally

Discussed with wife, and came to several conclusions

Relaxing helped ?
More walking, swimming helped ?
A little too much alcohol maybe ?
Or
One that beared most potential

All food was cooked fresh
And were made at meal nans, Chapatti, etc

Could it be the UK foods have way more preservatives in ?

Never nailed it, but suspect last is the main reason, but all others likely played a part

Suffice to say once back, HBA1c was recorded as 42 from 58..so something worked.

Enjoy.
Travel safe
& Pics would be nice :)
(Living vicariously at the moment ;):D )

Can't wait to travel myself, real soon, please god,
So very jealous :happy: .

Reactions: Goonergal

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Check out your holiday insurance small print. Many companies use diabetes as an excuse not to pay out on health issues that may arise even if nothing to do with diabetes.

Reactions: MrsA2

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK we thought, so be it

Some very useful advice I was given on here was when flying to keep supplies you might need during a flight within reach, such as under the seat in front of you rather than in the overhead bin. There could be times the seatbelt sign is on and although you carried supplies with you you couldn’t actually get to them.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Some very useful advice I was given on here was when flying to keep supplies you might need during a flight within reach, such as under the seat in front of you rather than in the overhead bin. There could be times the seatbelt sign is on and although you carried supplies with you you couldn’t actually get to them.
Very important for diabetics on insulin or glucose lowering medication! For a T2 diet controlled only, not so much, thankfully!

Reactions: jjraak

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
1) Do a bit of research about local restaurants and supermarkets, both near where you’ll be staying and in areas you plan to visit.

2) If it’s a long flight, eat a large fry-up at the airport to reduce chances of succumbing to on board nastiness!
I have to be honest I leave the meter at home and generally eat what I normally do if self catering or tend to eat more carbs if it’s a hotel stay or a cruise. Being diet controlled I’ve found that a couple of weeks of eating different or more carby foods doesn’t upset my hba1c too much.

Reactions: jjraak

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps look up the names of various things you can eat in the local language - I found I was quite the favourite at the cafes and restaurants in Florence as I ordered in Italian having practiced beforehand and also checked what a typical menu might be. I know that I had a portion of strawberries reserved for me from the delivery each day and the waiters chatted me up terribly at the place I settled on to have lunch. I promised I'd always remember them, and I have done.