basal levels

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So the last few weeks, my basal (tresiba) requirements slowly getting less and less.
I'm used to tweaking it around, butt only usually within 1 or 2 units. Currently 12 per day.
I do like like to have enough background going on, it makes a massive difference to the fast acting I need.
But lateley I've come down from 13.5 down to 10 units per day.
Does it mean anything (the amount of basal you need)?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Does it mean anything (the amount of basal you need)?

Hard to say (sorry). The obvious things are that you are either less insulin resistant or you are still in honeymoon period and producing a bit more insulin.

I find my basal can vary by 25% quite easily, but I'm on lantus so it's probably easier to tweak than tresiba.

Illness, stress, exercise are among the other factors that can make a difference.

Reactions: Zinadane

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My fitness levels are probably better then ever, but for me this doesn't always seem to have a direct correlation to my basal requirement.
48 years of T1, so not sure about honeymoon. Unless there is a certain small level always coming through. Or maybe it's starting to work again!
Anyway, I was just curious as to what it is for me that effecs my basal needs.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Our basal needs are driven by our insulin sensitivity. I think there are something like 42 things which can affect this including illness, drugs, stress, exercise, weather, ..
Sometimes things just seem to change. As @EllieM mentioned, have a faster acting basal like Lantus makes this easier to manage than Tresiba for which it is advised to wait 4 days to see the affect of changing your basal dose

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Mine vary..............I get DP which definitely makes it bump up by a couple of units when it decides to appear. Mine also go up with less exercise. A lot of people say it can vary when the weather changes.

I have 4 programs on my pump, which can tell you the variance I get!
My current one, I adjust that one whenever needed
DP one, has higher setting starting at 5 am, I only change to it if I've had several DP days in a row.
Snorkel day, I snorkel for about 2-3 hours and at about 4 hours later I need a lot less insulin for about 24 hours.
1 is just in case....with very low settings

Last edited:
Reactions: Zinadane