Of all changes in your "old" lifestyle you had to do, which one was the most difficult?

JacquesFR

A family member was recently diagnosed type 2 and I'm trying to understand what it means for our lifestyle/every day life. This made me curious to ask which changes it brought onto others' lives, and which changes were the hardest.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bread, and other people (ahh, go on, 1 (insert carb here) won't hurt you

Reactions: ziggy_w

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having never liked the idea of eating lots of 'healthy' carbs at diagnosis I stopped eating them and used the diet sheets to light the barbecue.
I can honestly say it was the easiest alteration in lifestyle, going from following the doctors advice to cutting the carbs.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A family member was recently diagnosed type 2 and I'm trying to understand what it means for our lifestyle/every day life. This made me curious to ask which changes it brought onto others' lives, and which changes were the hardest.

I guess to help we'd need to know some more details of whoever has been diagnosed.

Many of us changed what we ate and put our T2 condition into remission.

If they want to do that then we can of course assist but it's far better to get the person themselves to join the forum rather than give advice through a third party if at all possible.

Reactions: JacquesFR

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not ashamed to say I love bread, crisps, pizza etc far more than steak, eggs, bacon. That's no doubt what got me into this mess! I found those hard to give him, but found the more obvious sugary stuff (sweets, cake, chocolate etc) far easier.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Baked beans!

Many years of chip butties, need a mention!

I believe the biggest change has to be the knowledge of why and how my body works, the way it does and the realisation that so called healthy food, is definitely not healthy for me!

Thehe change in lifestyle, came naturally if I was going to get my health back!

Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Everyone misses food. No one complains about the need to do blood tests, give injections or consult a doctor. So, you can see that diabetes is not so terrible :) Over time, you really stop paying attention to the need for medical manipulations and begin to treat it as if you need to wash your hands before eating

D

Deleted member 543160

My original long term "diet" was much closer to my current low carb one than the high carb version that was more or less imposed upon me in recent years, so although I resented that a few higher carb foods I enjoyed were no longer advisable, I had no real problem in making a change. There's still a great variety of different foods that I have always eaten and still am able to eat while managing my T2, and some that I've tried since diagnosis and now also enjoy.

For me it's been a positive rather than a negative experience. It was a great relief to find that some long term and some more recent pre-diagnosis health issues I'd had were mostly fixable by the change in my diet. In particular I no longer suffer from previous lifelong chronic and debilitating migraines.

My main but fairly minor problem was over my change in diet, which I solved by doing my own personal food shopping, preparation and cooking.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

My first fast, which was actually only skipping breakfast. Due to my previous medical issues it was a huge step for me, but one I’m very grateful to have taken. The food bit was pretty easy.

Reactions: Lamont D

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Similar to lessci except for the bread. I didn't find any of the changes difficult (but then I am a T2, which is easier to manage). But some other people's attitudes are very hard to take.
No I didn't bring it on myself
No it isn't my fault
No I can't have "just one" and it WILL matter
And similar.

Also having to fight my corner with medical professionals who don't seem to have done as much research as they should, or who have - ah - different incentives that don't include my welfare, and have a my-way-or-the-highway attitude. It would be so good to be able to have intelligent dialogue and mutual respect.

D

Deleted member 543160

Also having to fight my corner with medical professionals who don't seem to have done as much research as they should, or who have - ah - different incentives that don't include my welfare, and have a my-way-or-the-highway attitude. It would be so good to be able to have intelligent dialogue and mutual respect.
I have bee so fortunate in that respect! My GP originally suggested I tried Atkins for weight loss, and has been nothing but positive and supportive over my low carb efforts and results. As was my original (now sadly retired) DN who wold look at my results and say "Just keep on doing what you're doing...".

Current DN however is a bit of a doozy and after my first review with her and a discussion on low carb, came out with words to the effect: "But have you considered gastric surgery ?" DOH!! o_O:wacky:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fruit - I miss fruit every day even after 13 years - and the Italian contingent arm of the family - OMG their pasta - not pasta in general just theirs - it takes all my will power not to touch it - sometimes I do give in and have a tiny bit - bite me!

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone misses food. No one complains about the need to do blood tests, give injections or consult a doctor. So, you can see that diabetes is not so terrible :) Over time, you really stop paying attention to the need for medical manipulations and begin to treat it as if you need to wash your hands before eating
well said I like this comment

Reactions: jjraak

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I miss crunchy thick slices of toast, with lots of butter. Though admit to having it once in a while. Also fruit, especially bananas, (which I would have on toast) and peaches, and nectarines.

A change I don’t mind at all is that I no longer have that lethargic, sleepy bloated feeling after meals, due to avoiding the so called ‘healthy carbs’.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is hard to now know how much the 'normal' Western diets are so damaging to so many people, not just those now with type 2 diabetes.
For example had family visiting yesterday for multiple birthday celebrations. I found it really hard not to provide foods that I belive bad for them, when they see those foods as celebrations and part of every day life. In the end I felt I had to provide carbs, just did the minimum I could get away with. So hard to see the next generations going from bad food to worse. I can deal with my own health, but now feel complicit when making meals with carbs in for my loved ones, especially the young ones.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have to agree 100% with outliers point

The attitude of my surgery to food and the indifference to the lowering of my HBA1c.

I got a well done text, but I'm sure it's not common to drop numbers like I did among the other T2D, yet no one's interested

Still with the "Eat more carbs" rubbish :rolleyes:
And the underlying feeling I'm just 'wrong' in their eyes :banghead:.

So yeah.
Bread & discovering results don't mean much to those who should be more curious

Brings to mind
"For those who believe, no proof required.
For those who don't, no proof would ever be enough "

That and the bored glassy eyes of family, when I start to mention how 'healthy food' ..really isn't :hilarious::hilarious:
I stopped bothering after a few months

But on a plus note long term asthmatic.
Preventer & inhalers used daily.

Missus noted I didn't cough as much, one day
Mmh..she was right.

It's hasn't gone away, but it's definitely down around 90% of where it had been for 20 odd years....WIN.

Last edited: