What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh no @gennepher I fully agree.
I love words and how we can use them to convey so many feelings .

I did have to look yours up, mind .;)
But happy to as every days a schoolday, if you want it to be :happy:

I have a fondness for some words, oddly enough

I think ' ascertain ' might just be my favourite
Not used much in daily speech or on forums
But I do enjoy hearing it used.

I do mention, if in conversation, that 'x' isn't a word you hear often.

Usually starts a conversation around other such words .

Anyway, delightful to just read your 'Tales from the Animal Garden '... you paint such a vivid picture, that just draws me in as you flesh out the amusing interactions of your lovely menagerie.

More power to your elbow as our wordsmith
I think some more old fashioned words are more magical @jjraak
I have Roget's Thesaurus from 1851, and various more editions of his over the years, and you can see how meanings and emphasis changes over the decades of the same word.
I also have the original, 1870, Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, which is an amazing read. And also many more editions of it over the decades.
But with both books, I prefer the earlier versions with their amazing bindings, and raised print on the pages. They are far more exciting than the more modern versions which sort of become paperback books around 1920's.
Modern versions? Even those are a hundred years old. But they are too modern for me!
Thank you very much for your compliments
:happy:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.7

Raining again this morning. Shadow is nice and dry on the swing. The second she hears me waking up she is at the door waiting to come in. She eats her food in the front room, and then comes to join me outside (there is no way I can shut that outside door, she panics) getting the rest of the cats food sorted. And helps herself to a bit more.

No sign of Midnight (new name for BBCat) yet, but I had given him a good helping of a late supper, and when I do that, it seems he sleeps in, possibly because he is not hungry all the time now. It makes it easier for me with this routine, because the Four Mouseketeers (stray gingers) come next, followed by Mr Magpie and Mr&Mrs Blackbird who also partake of the cat diner food. It all helps with the safer spacing out of the furred and feathered feeding.

Midnight has just appeared, 6:44 am. It is looking like he is having a several course breakfast. And he keeps looking at me through my glass door to do the 'slow blink'....I am getting good at this 'slow blink'....

I was more than shattered yesterday morning. I went to collect my medicines from the chemist. Normally my medicines are all ready for me in a carrier bag. Not so yesterday. I got there for 5 past 9 (opens at 9). And there were already 20 people in front of me. This is not normal. At 5 past 9, I am the normally the first one. I am unable to stand in queues because of my health conditions. I need to park right outside a place because I cannot walk far. Finally I got inside. She said I would have to wait while it was made up. I ended up sitting on the bag of my wheelie, partially leaning against a wall. There are no seats any more in this pharmacy, even the bench seats have been piled up on top of each other to prevent use. An hour later a slip of a girl came out with my medicines (when I say a slip of a girl, she doesn't look old enough to be a pharmacist, but the last few years she normally dispenses medicines alongside the regular pharmacist, so she must be a trained pharmacist). I asked where S_____ was today. He's not here, she said. Not all your medicines are here, you will have to come back later in the week. But on the counter protective acrylic screen was a notice saying 'Experienced Pharmacist urgently needed. Apply at the counter or send an email to this pharmacy.'

As if an experienced pharmacist would wander into this pharmacy looking for a job. This does not look good to me, it does not bode well.

I crashed into my bed when I got home. I hurt so much, I was so tired and exhausted. There were more than 50 people inside and outside that pharmacy when I left, and some of them looked as desperate as I felt. I was pretty near to, or I was having a panic attack being in very close proximity to all those people. And I don't think there were enough medicines for them all. Some of them looked very agitated.

Creative today is a kaleidoscope in Laboscope, of a mysterious Californian Orange Poppy that has just appeared in my garden. Shadow and Midnight are there too.

It must be hayfever time. I have a heavy head and heavy eyes is only way I can describe it. The bees were out at this morning at 4:30 am looking for pollen in the wild garlic flowers. A red-tailed bumblebee was collecting pollen from my pink fuschia flowers. The last few days I have seen lots of different butterflies when the sun came out, including some male Common Blues (no females among them, they have a bit more brown on them). I did see a few Holly Blues a couple of weeks ago. I have pretty much all the plants and wild flowers in my garden for them to lay eggs and stuff. The ladybirds are still mating...

An antihistamine tablet now and a coffee...

CE858C3F-FF6B-4CB7-AA72-A73BC4C17341.jpeg

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.7

Raining again this morning. Shadow is nice and dry on the swing. The second she hears me waking up she is at the door waiting to come in. She eats her food in the front room, and then comes to join me outside (there is no way I can shut that outside door, she panics) getting the rest of the cats food sorted. And helps herself to a bit more.

No sign of Midnight (new name for BBCat) yet, but I had given him a good helping of a late supper, and when I do that, it seems he sleeps in, possibly because he is not hungry all the time now. It makes it easier for me with this routine, because the Four Mouseketeers (stray gingers) come next, followed by Mr Magpie and Mr&Mrs Blackbird who also partake of the cat diner food. It all helps with the safer spacing out of the furred and feathered feeding.

Midnight has just appeared, 6:44 am. It is looking like he is having a several course breakfast. And he keeps looking at me through my glass door to do the 'slow blink'....I am getting good at this 'slow blink'....

I was more than shattered yesterday morning. I went to collect my medicines from the chemist. Normally my medicines are all ready for me in a carrier bag. Not so yesterday. I got there for 5 past 9 (opens at 9). And there were already 20 people in front of me. This is not normal. At 5 past 9, I am the normally the first one. I am unable to stand in queues because of my health conditions. I need to park right outside a place because I cannot walk far. Finally I got inside. She said I would have to wait while it was made up. I ended up sitting on the bag of my wheelie, partially leaning against a wall. There are no seats any more in this pharmacy, even the bench seats have been piled up on top of each other to prevent use. An hour later a slip of a girl came out with my medicines (when I say a slip of a girl, she doesn't look old enough to be a pharmacist, but the last few years she normally dispenses medicines alongside the regular pharmacist, so she must be a trained pharmacist). I asked where S_____ was today. He's not here, she said. Not all your medicines are here, you will have to come back later in the week. But on the counter protective acrylic screen was a notice saying 'Experienced Pharmacist urgently needed. Apply at the counter or send an email to this pharmacy.'

As if an experienced pharmacist would wander into this pharmacy looking for a job. This does not look good to me, it does not bode well.

I crashed into my bed when I got home. I hurt so much, I was so tired and exhausted. There were more than 50 people inside and outside that pharmacy when I left, and some of them looked as desperate as I felt. I was pretty near to, or I was having a panic attack being in very close proximity to all those people. And I don't think there were enough medicines for them all. Some of them looked very agitated.

Creative today is a kaleidoscope in Laboscope, of a mysterious Californian Orange Poppy that has just appeared in my garden. Shadow and Midnight are there too.

It must be hayfever time. I have a heavy head and heavy eyes is only way I can describe it. The bees were out at this morning at 4:30 am looking for pollen in the wild garlic flowers. A red-tailed bumblebee was collecting pollen from my pink fuschia flowers. The last few days I have seen lots of different butterflies when the sun came out, including some male Common Blues (no females among them, they have a bit more brown on them). I did see a few Holly Blues a couple of weeks ago. I have pretty much all the plants and wild flowers in my garden for them to lay eggs and stuff. The ladybirds are still mating...

An antihistamine tablet now and a coffee...

View attachment 54567
A truly nightmare visit to the pharmacy @gennepher.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
6.7 this morning. No idea why. I did a 17hr fast and loads of eccentric resistance training yesterday so thought I deserved a reading the 4s today. Liver obviously thought otherwise.

Have really upped the eccentric resistance work lately and will continue to - even if fbs stays higher.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings one and all on a potentially almost warm day here in The Exotic East. Shorts, sun and salad always remind me most strongly how much I have to thank God for - your mileage may vary but cute little chune and vid . Next few days could well be Eagles/Yacht Rock/Laurel Canyon central - summer earworms. What a miserable indictment of modern life your visit to the pharmacist was @gennepher - do you not trust or want home delivery? In total contrast you shower love and care on those animals and delight us with another high class kaleidoscope. Take it easy today - pun intended but wish is genuine. Y'all enjoy your day but don't impinge upon the right of others to enjoy theirs. Go Team D.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
6.7 this morning. No idea why. I did a 17hr fast and loads of eccentric resistance training yesterday so thought I deserved a reading the 4s today. Liver obviously thought otherwise.

Have really upped the eccentric resistance work lately and will continue to - even if fbs stays higher.
I had to google eccentric resistance training - sounds good. Mr Conan Doyle may have the answer to your high fbg: "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, stated by Sherlock Holmes. Your body is protecting you from running on fumes. Hug for the result but winner for the work ethic. Your journey with The D reminds me of something Karine Jean-Pierre quoted: “They talked to the students about me and this moment and this administration … and these kids wrote me a letter and, in the letter, they talked about how they can dream bigger because of me standing behind this podium. And that matters.” (Teachers to School children "of colour" inspired by her story)

Last edited:
Reactions: gennepher

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to google eccentric resistance training - sounds good. Mr Conan Doyle may have the answer to your high fbg: "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, stated by Sherlock Holmes. Your body is protecting you from running on fumes. Hug for the result but winner for the work ethic. Your journey with The D reminds me of something Karine Jean-Pierre quoted: “They talked to the students about me and this moment and this administration … and these kids wrote me a letter and, in the letter, they talked about how they can dream bigger because of me standing behind this podium. And that matters.” (Teachers to School children "of colour" inspired by her story)
Thank you @ianpspurs for your kind words. Actually you are right - my liver is expecting that I will be doing more eccentric resistance training today so is providing me with the fuel. The liver is right - I am doing more stuff today.
Thank you for the link - a very good article with exercises I will definitely try out.
Interestingly since doing much more of the eccentric stuff I have a greater feeling of wellbeing - even though my muscles do feel sore.

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @ianpspurs for your kind words. Actually you are right - my liver is expecting that I will be doing more eccentric resistance training today so is providing me with the fuel. The liver is right - I am doing more stuff today.
Thank you for the link - a very good article with exercises I will definitely try out.
Interestingly since doing much more of the eccentric stuff I have a greater feeling of wellbeing - even though my muscles do feel sore.
Enjoy the exercise - Eccentric and you don't fit in my mind's eye - some posters are a gift for Central Casting in that role:meh:. I so miss the gym/exercise bike/exercise in general. From the get go I intuitively felt exercise was key to managing The D for me - basically how I function best. I never felt I was ever meant to be a teacher but people kept promoting me - sad indictment of that profession or God knew how to use me, with all my weaknesses, best for others?. I have never bought in to LC other than for weight loss (no whatsit Sherlock) except eating salad as often as possible probably because I enjoy that and find most of the rest mad as a box of frogs.. Welbeing vs wellness is another fascinating one - I'm with you on wellbeing as the more helpful.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Greetings one and all on a potentially almost warm day here in The Exotic East. Shorts, sun and salad always remind me most strongly how much I have to thank God for - your mileage may vary but cute little chune and vid . Next few days could well be Eagles/Yacht Rock/Laurel Canyon central - summer earworms. What a miserable indictment of modern life your visit to the pharmacist was @gennepher - do you not trust or want home delivery? In total contrast you shower love and care on those animals and delight us with another high class kaleidoscope. Take it easy today - pun intended but wish is genuine. Y'all enjoy your day but don't impinge upon the right of others to enjoy theirs. Go Team D.
Thanks @ianpspurs
I have tried home delivery a few times.

They don't give you a specific date or time for delivery, they say they can't, but they say they will deliver when they have the meds in. There are quite a few medicines that I have. And they are not always in.

And I have to go back a few days or even a week later, and they still might not be in. We cannot get that medicine this time because we are out of it from our from our ordering catalogue, the regular pharmacist says to me, but a I have made some phone calls, and a prescription for the med they cannot get, is sent to another pharmacist who orders from another ordering supplier (different pharmacies order from a different company supplier which deals with that particular chain of pharmacies, they cannot order from a different company). And I have to go personally to get it from this different pharmacy, my pharmacy cannot send their van to pick it up for me from a different pharmacy. I have been lucky the regular pharmacist did this for me, because I have no GP. Thousands of people don't have a GP in this area., and many cannot even get their regular prescriptions.

So far, these last 3 years with no GP, I managed to get my repeat prescriptions, by finding the Welsh site online where I can order online. Many people round here haven't figured this out, because we haven't had any information on this. So no medicine reviews etc for me for 3 years, because no GP. BUT, the pharmacist at this pharmacy would give me an in depth medicine review if I asked for it, and would apply somewhere, to get a different medicine instead of the original one when I had a GP. Which is why I stayed at this pharmacy. But now, I have no idea if he is still there with that notice saying 'Experienced Pharmacist Urgently Required' I will try and get answers when I go back, if it is possible.

The big problem with delivery again is my deafness. I have a doorbell which flashes a blue light. I can move it round from room to room, but it still has to be plugged in to an electric circuit. If people press the doorbell, all would be fine and dandy. But they don't. Just about every delivery person knocks. I cannot hear a knock even with my cochlear processor. They have all been given instructions to ring the doorbell, and why. But no one reads their instructions. I have other alerts on my phone to try and find a way round this, but they fail because people do not ring the doorbell. I have spent money on other stuff, to try and help.

There is even a notice by the doorbell which says Don't knock, Please ring doorbell. Still doesn't work.

It was easier when I had my Hearing Dog Meg, or even Popeye. He alerted me when someone was knocking, simply by looking in the direction of the sound and looking at me, which meant 'Answer it'.

But I am not a quick mover, and by the time I got to the door, the person had gone, and someone over the road said the medicine delivery man was knocking, and they offered to take my med, but medicine delivery guy said, no I have to deliver it to the recipient. Tell her to telephone the Pharmacy to rearrange delivery.

I cannot use the telephone to the pharmacy because I cannot hear on the telephone.

I give up.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @ianpspurs
I have tried home delivery a few times.

They don't give you a specific date or time for delivery, they say they can't, but they say they will deliver when they have the meds in. There are quite a few medicines that I have. And they are not always in.

And I have to go back a few days or even a week later, and they still might not be in. We cannot get that medicine this time because we are out of it from our from our ordering catalogue, the regular pharmacist says to me, but a I have made some phone calls, and a prescription for the med they cannot get, is sent to another pharmacist who orders from another ordering supplier (different pharmacies order from a different company supplier which deals with that particular chain of pharmacies, they cannot order from a different company). And I have to go personally to get it from this different pharmacy, my pharmacy cannot send their van to pick it up for me from a different pharmacy. I have been lucky the regular pharmacist did this for me, because I have no GP. Thousands of people don't have a GP in this area., and many cannot even get their regular prescriptions.

So far, these last 3 years with no GP, I managed to get my repeat prescriptions, by finding the Welsh site online where I can order online. Many people round here haven't figured this out, because we haven't had any information on this. So no medicine reviews etc for me for 3 years, because no GP. BUT, the pharmacist at this pharmacy would give me an in depth medicine review if I asked for it, and would apply somewhere, to get a different medicine instead of the original one when I had a GP. Which is why I stayed at this pharmacy. But now, I have no idea if he is still there with that notice saying 'Experienced Pharmacist Urgently Required' I will try and get answers when I go back, if it is possible.

The big problem with delivery again is my deafness. I have a doorbell which flashes a blue light. I can move it round from room to room, but it still has to be plugged in to an electric circuit. If people press the doorbell, all would be fine and dandy. But they don't. Just about every delivery person knocks. I cannot hear a knock even with my cochlear processor. They have all been given instructions to ring the doorbell, and why. But no one reads their instructions. I have other alerts on my phone to try and find a way round this, but they fail because people do not ring the doorbell. I have spent money on other stuff, to try and help.

There is even a notice by the doorbell which says Don't knock, Please ring doorbell. Still doesn't work.

It was easier when I had my Hearing Dog Meg, or even Popeye. He alerted me when someone was knocking, simply by looking in the direction of the sound and looking at me, which meant 'Answer it'.

But I am not a quick mover, and by the time I got to the door, the person had gone, and someone over the road said the medicine delivery man was knocking, and they offered to take my med, but medicine delivery guy said, no I have to deliver it to the recipient. Tell her to telephone the Pharmacy to rearrange delivery.

I cannot use the telephone to the pharmacy because I cannot hear on the telephone.

I give up.
So sorry to read that and to have unwittingly been the trigger for so much worry and painful reminders. On reflection I should have known you would have tried home delivery and had very good reasons for doing things your way. Royal Mail give us a delivery time and date so I imagined that was universal - sorry.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Enjoy the exercise - Eccentric and you don't fit in my mind's eye - some posters are a gift for Central Casting in that role:meh:. I so miss the gym/exercise bike/exercise in general. From the get go I intuitively felt exercise was key to managing The D for me - basically how I function best. I never felt I was ever meant to be a teacher but people kept promoting me - sad indictment of that profession or God knew how to use me, with all my weaknesses, best for others?. I have never bought in to LC other than for weight loss (no whatsit Sherlock) except eating salad as often as possible probably because I enjoy that and find most of the rest mad as a box of frogs.. Welbeing vs wellness is another fascinating one - I'm with you on wellbeing as the more helpful.
I am sure that you were a brilliant teacher @ianpspurs and really made a difference to your pupils lives.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.7 this morning. Overdid the eccentric resistance stuff again yesterday. I think that it was the very very slow stand to sit into a chair. I have noticed that it has really improved my very very slow squats and I can squat much lower now but it really made my legs ache as I did so many. Will focus on the very very slow kneeling press ups today and the very slow walking down the stairs.

Lovely and sunny morning. Am looking forward to the dog walk in the sunshine.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So sorry to read that and to have unwittingly been the trigger for so much worry and painful reminders. On reflection I should have known you would have tried home delivery and had very good reasons for doing things your way. Royal Mail give us a delivery time and date so I imagined that was universal - sorry.
It appears to be all van deliveries from the pharmacies in this immediate area @ianpspurs
I did ask my pharmacy if they had a text service to alert me of the arrival of the meds van, but they said no to that. They must have a lot of wasted med van trips...

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.5

All the usual at gennepher's cat diner yesterday. Mr Heffalump (wood pigeon) is a character, and I am growing quite fond of him, in between thinking he is plumping up himself with all the food he eats, which would make an excellent Christmas dinner...

Oh dear, gasps of shock from you! No I wouldn't!

Mr Heffalump (wood pigeon) is the enigma...he is exhibiting very strange behaviour for a wood pigeon. Yesterday afternoon he crash landed in a large pot of daffodils. The flowers are finished,but the leaves are still sticking up. Mr Heffalump crouches down low, and can hide himself in the middle of the daffodil leaves. Just his head pops up like Peter Sellers in the Pink Panther, and he scours the surroundings over the daffodil leaves. Then Mr Heffalump's head disappears into the leaves again. A few moments later Mr Heffalump's head slowly rises above the daffodil leaves again, and he scans the entire garden. All he needed was a pair of binoculars or a periscope. He was doing this over the next hour repeatedly. I think this wood pigeon needs therapy...

I had no peanuts this morning, so I put kitchen scraps on the bird table which pleased all the birds. Mr Heffalump is tucking into his breakfast when along comes Mr Magpie and tries to land next to Mr Heffalump, but Mr Heffalump sticks out his well filled plump chest and bumps Mr Magpie off the bird table. Mr Magpie is absolutely furious, also because a cat is feeding at the diner, so the world is conspiring against him at this minute. And Mr Magpie lets out a howl of frustration and flies off...

Creative this morning is that Californian Poppy again. I have a few flowers coming out on it. So, a kaleidoscope in Laboscope. Shadow and Midnight are present....

image.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning from a very sunny, gloriously blue skied Exotic East - of England not Eden - jig a jig. No Swipey here so fbg is a known unknown. Two grandchildren here today: one who is now so "grown up" having turned three on Saturday and one who survived intensive care in September and is turning into a future England second row. Groceries arrived before 8 .00 am - from Milton Keynes (70 miles). Another wonderful start in @gennepher's Diner. Kitchen scraps sounds like a plan with 9% inflation. Very apt, sunny kaleidoscope today. Bless you for that. @Krystyna23040 those exercises sound very similar to Tai Chi. Enjoy your day safely, play nicely and share your toys without rancour.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning from a very sunny, gloriously blue skied Exotic East - of England not Eden - jig a jig. No Swipey here so fbg is a known unknown. Two grandchildren here today: one who is now so "grown up" having turned three on Saturday and one who survived intensive care in September and is turning into a future England second row. Groceries arrived before 8 .00 am - from Milton Keynes. Another wonderful start in @gennepher's Diner. Kitchen scraps sounds like a plan with 9% inflation. Very apt, sunny kaleidoscope today. Bless you for that. @Krystyna23040 those exercises sound very similar to Tai Chi. Enjoy your day safely, play nicely and share your toys without rancour.
Thank you Ian
:happy:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.5

Very busy at gennepher's cat diner this morning. Black cats fed. Midnight has hoovered up every scrap on every plate and it was not even 6 am!

Mr Heffalump (wood pigeon) is using his sheer size to dominate the bird table. He has shoved off my little female Bluetit, and both Mr&Mrs Blackbird, and Mr Magpie. Mr Heffalump is on my bungalow roof, and flies down every time a bird lands on my bird table. Midnight is asleep on my swing after his large breakfast, and Mr Heffalump doesn't like him there, and is doing all kinds of posturing.

Midnight just does not care about Mr Heffalump.

My little female Bluetit has gone on to my bungalow walls and is feeding off the bugs on there. It is the season of the Clover Mites. A little red bug. You can barely see it, but on my white window ledges you can see hundreds (if not thousands) on each window sill and on the white doors. And they bite if they land on you. It blinking hurts, is itchy and takes a long time to go away. I have their bites on my neck and my legs. Antihistamines needed.

Time for another coffee.

Mind those Clover Mites!

image.jpeg

Last edited: