What BG does your doctor require you to have?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
This is good reading, the last target I was given was 4-7.8 ages ago, I had noticed the consultant quotes “time in range” suggesting that’s important, I changed it from 7.8 to 10 so I’m in range more often :) I still hardly ever stay in range but it’s nice to hear you guys saying 10 is target, I’m still failing but a little less often.

today for example is going really well lol
735F2A93-6BE7-4FC8-AE1C-F6663CDFE1B7.png

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
The irony is that "healthy people" are sometimes in far worse condition than a person with diabetes! It is also worth knowing that in a "normal" body (whatever that means) BG can rise to at least 10 after a meal before coming back to about 5.4 (average) within 30 minutes
Time for interesting stories :) Once, many years ago, for the sake of interest, I measured my father's BG after a good dinner with sweets and it was 14! We were so scared (I don't have diabetics in my family, but then we thought that somehow my father could have diabetes) that we almost went to the hospital. However, after an hour his BG was absolutely normal. I still don't know what it was, but my father is healthy now

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Time for interesting stories :) Once, many years ago, for the sake of interest, I measured my father's BG after a good dinner with sweets and it was 14! We were so scared (I don't have diabetics in my family, but then we thought that somehow my father could have diabetes) that we almost went to the hospital. However, after an hour his BG was absolutely normal. I still don't know what it was, but my father is healthy now
Same with my mother-in-law many years ago. She lived on for at least 20 years more with no signs of diabetes.

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take metformin and don’t get hypos (type 2). My endocrinologist thinks I can get morning reading under 100 mg/dL (5.6). I get random readings in the afternoon like that, but not in the morning. My primary care dr looks at my A1C and is pleased but endocrinologist always finds something, I am not getting in enough steps, now. I do like to have a target to aim for but I am not sure what that is.

Reactions: Antje77

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I take metformin and don’t get hypos (type 2). My endocrinologist thinks I can get morning reading under 100 mg/dL (5.6). I get random readings in the afternoon like that, but not in the morning. My primary care dr looks at my A1C and is pleased but endocrinologist always finds something, I am not getting in enough steps, now. I do like to have a target to aim for but I am not sure what that is.

Do note that those not on insulin will unlikely have the same targets as those on insulin, as those on insulin cannot often safely get to what those not on insulin can get to

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
With T2 not on glucose lowering medication (metformin helps but should not be able to give you dangerous hypo's), targets can be very different from those of people who are on glucose lowering medication like insulin or gliclazide.
T1's and T2's on this kind of medication need to build in a safety buffer to prevent hypo's, whereas people on metformin can go as low as their body is willing to go without worrying about going too low.

Reactions: lorib64

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I am T2, my palliative care GP is not interested in my bgl readings any more, she is happy for me to keep my hba1c just above or below 40 mmol/mol as possible. I know she will not rip me a newie if I stray above that level though.

She recommended I concentrate on managing my pain levels first and foremost.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Is hypoglycemia even possible for people who do not take insulin (I'm not talking about people with reactive hypoglycemia)?