Hello fellow diabetics

GhummZ

Hello all

Thought i would post in this section so i can say hello an tell me story at the time.

Im a 36year old male nurse. Absolute food lover.

Over the covid lockdown period, aftet dealing with much death and dying in the acute sector i turned to comfort eating to make me feel better. Before i knew it, we were out of lockdown and none of my going out clothes fitted as i had put on significant weight.

3 months ago, i began to become symtomatic, as a nurse i should have recognised the signs, in a way, at the back of my mind i did, but buried my head in the sand as we men do.

Night driving became difficult, was lethargic all the time, i could sleep for 12 hours and still be tired every waking minute of the day.

The the major 'classic' symptom started. I kept peeing. Like massive amounts despite not drinking anything. I was up every 30 minutes during the night and easily passing what fealt like half a litre. Still, i buried my hrad in the sand thinking it will go away.

The day i decided to see my gp, was my kidneys has had enough and i was in a lot of pain in the kidney region. They were at this point exhausted from passing so much glucose to cleanse my system.

Gp dipped my uring, confirmed +++glucose, finger prick test done, 14.6mmol

As my gp knows what my profession is, said no more other than "you know where this is going"

Urgent hba1c taken, result a few days later - 10.4%

Metformin started and my life changed overnight.

First month i went through a cycle of depression not having a clue what to do or eat but slowly got the hang of it.

My weight at this stage was 108.9kgs with a bmi of 39.

As time has gone past, its become second nature to me and dont even have to think anymore.

Over the past 3 months i set myself a goal to better myself to let me stay on top of this.

First month i concentrated on perfecting my diet and by the second month joined the gym.

The results have been amazing, i feel mentally and physcially fitter than i have been in my life.

I lost weight as i went keto then medditarean, in total i have lost 4 stone, as i write this today i weigh 83kg with a bmi of 26

Ive never been this weight in all of my adult life. My size 38 waist is now 34 with a belt.

My resting heart rate is fantastic as i do cardio 3 times a week and last month started weight training to give 110%

I had my 3 month review last week, ive always had high blood.pressure, this has come down to the textbook 120/80

My HBA1C is now 5.7%

Will continue on this path as i am aiming for remission.

Sorry for the long post, i just wished to share my journey with you all. Its been a whirlwind of last 3-4 months

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for sharing.

I really felt your pain of you having to deal with the 'fallout' from covid. Such a very challenging time for you on the frontline. Understandable that you got comfort from eating. Then you got your diagnosis. But you took the bull by the horns and are reaping the rewards. You tackled t2d head on. Your diet, joining a gym. You're feeling physically and mentally better than ever. 4 stone weightloss. Bmi from 39 to 26. Waist from 38 to 34. BP normalised. Hba1c in the normal range.

Please don't apologise for the length of your post, loved reading every single word. Well done.

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for sharing! I loved your story. Youve come so far, so fast! It’s wonderful :)

It’s always great to hear from diabetics in their 30s as well - when I was diagnosed I got the impression people thought it was weird being a diabetic at 35 (but it’s all, sadly, becoming more common these days).

GhummZ

Thank you all for the words of encoragement, honestly it means so much.

I miss my caramel latte every morning the most, but kind of got used to an americano with skimmed milk.

If other newbies like me are reading this, dont feel afraid to have a treat now and again. (Once a month for me) in the form of either a cake, dessert or in my case, a takeaway burger.

Find a hobby, i went back to photography as i fond it very therapeutic and the travelling 30miles to get 1 photo for my is the rush i need.

2necV2b

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a wonderful success you have made of a difficult situation!

I'm thinking that, in your profession, you have now been gifted with being much more diabetes-aware in your patients through this, and your future input will make such a difference to so many.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hello all

Thought i would post in this section so i can say hello an tell me story at the time.

Over the covid lockdown period, aftet dealing with much death and dying in the acute sector i turned to comfort eating to make me feel better. Before i knew it, we were out of lockdown and none of my going out clothes fitted as i had put on significant weight.

3 months ago, i began to become symtomatic, as a nurse i should have recognised the signs, in a way, at the back of my mind i did, but buried my head in the sand as we men do.

Night driving became difficult, was lethargic all the time, i could sleep for 12 hours and still be tired every waking minute of the day.

The the major 'classic' symptom started. I kept peeing. Like massive amounts despite not drinking anything. I was up every 30 minutes during the night and easily passing what fealt like half a litre. Still, i buried my hrad in the sand thinking it will go away.

The day i decided to see my gp, was my kidneys has had enough and i was in a lot of pain in the kidney region. They were at this point exhausted from passing so much glucose to cleanse my system.

As my gp knows what my profession is, said no more other than "you know where this is going"

First month i went through a cycle of depression not having a clue what to do or eat but slowly got the hang of it.

As time has gone past, its become second nature to me and dont even have to think anymore.

Over the past 3 months i set myself a goal to better myself to let me stay on top of this.

First month i concentrated on perfecting my diet and by the second month joined the gym.

The results have been amazing, i feel mentally and physcially fitter than i have been in my life.

I lost weight as i went keto then medditarean, in total i have lost 4 stone, as i write this today i weigh 83kg with a bmi of 26

Ive never been this weight in all of my adult life. My size 38 waist is now 34 with a belt.

My resting heart rate is fantastic as i do cardio 3 times a week and last month started weight training to give 110%

I had my 3 month review last week, ive always had high blood.pressure, this has come down to the textbook 120/80

My HBA1C is now 5.7%

Sorry for the long post, i just wished to share my journey with you all. Its been a whirlwind of last 3-4 months

Reactions: Q-Man

GhummZ

At the risk being sanctioned for bringing up an old thread. I just wanted to provide a further update to my journey.

Had my bloods done last week, HbA1c is now at 5.4% GP is now having discussions about stopping my medication. I have been moderate carb for past 3 months and enjoying alot of the foods i gave up a long time ago, in moderation off course.

keep high hopes everyone. there is light at the end of the tunnel.

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At the risk being sanctioned for bringing up an old thread. I just wanted to provide a further update to my journey.

Had my bloods done last week, HbA1c is now at 5.4% GP is now having discussions about stopping my medication. I have been moderate carb for past 3 months and enjoying alot of the foods i gave up a long time ago, in moderation off course.

keep high hopes everyone. there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Well done. If you do come off the meds don't go back to your old ways. I know doctors and nurses are supposed to make the worst patients, but it is important to keep up the monitoring. Get your HbA1c tested regularly because it could come back and, like me, you could end up ignoring the symptoms for way too long again.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Well done. If you do come off the meds don't go back to your old ways. I know doctors and nurses are supposed to make the worst patients, but it is important to keep up the monitoring. Get your HbA1c tested regularly because it could come back and, like me, you could end up ignoring the symptoms for way too long again.
That's me too.... made me laugh.

chrisjohnh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all

My HBA1C is now 5.7%

Given where you started this is a tremendous achievement, congratulations! I’m sure many others will be inspired by it.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Juliaman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Currently very depressed by recent diagnosis of Type 2. Not overweight so not going to help me to lose weight or am I wrong?

• Hug
Reactions: Grant_Vicat

sofy

i was ill with virus symptons ,and didnt eat for 3 days ,and i put on 2 ibs.can anyone explain this for me xx

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my weight can fluctuate 2 or 3 lbs during the day even when I don’t eat. I find spot measurements not that useful. What I try to discern are the trends over one or two weeks.