Type 1 Freestyle Libre

diamonddamaris

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
IMG_1684169892.713574.jpg

My Freestyle Libre is supposed to have 7 days left and then I get a notification that there is a signal loss and when I go to scan it says the sensor has ended. Is this a faulty sensor? This has never happened before has anyone else noticed this problem? Help please.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My Freestyle Libre is supposed to have 7 days left and then I get a notification that there is a signal loss and when I go to scan it says the sensor has ended. Is this a faulty sensor?
Yes, if it was meant to last another 7 days yes its faulty if it's ended itself, these things do happen, tech is never 100% guaranteed to work

Contact Abbott and they will send a replacement

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I normally swap arms when I change sensors just to give the previously used arm a rest (unless my sensor died dead early in its lifecycle).
But I know some will keep then on the same arm

diamonddamaris

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m going to put the new sensor on the other arm. Does Abbot normally give you a replacement? I thought you would have to ask the gp for another one.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m going to put the new sensor on the other arm. Does Abbot normally give you a replacement? I thought you would have to ask the gp for another one.
Abbott send the replacements for failures, your GP should not replace faulty ones (itll cost them the price of a new sensor for a start to get you another), as replacements from Abbott are free of charge but you have to sort that out

Reactions: ert

Filumo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have a suspicion that they work better with the reader than with a phone. I have no evidence just a feeling

• Informative
Reactions: Lainie71

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You’ve never had sensor fail?!!
Very little does not mean zero, but the sensors can fail no matter what you're using to read them, this kind of tech is never guaranteed to be flawless - it cant be :)

• Agree
Reactions: In Response

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You’ve never had sensor fail?!!
I wrote "very little problem".
I was using LIbre 2 with three different Android phones for more than 2 years and had two sensor failures.
I always made sure I have at least one spare sensor and Abbott replaced the failed ones within 2 weeks.
(I was using LIbre 1 with a phone for a few years prior and, again, had a couple of failures in that time.)
I was initially given a reader for Libre 1. My first sensor failure was with the reader. I soon gave it up as I did not want to carry addition stuff around with me and I always have my phone.

I now self fund a different CGM which talks to my pump but still have a couple of LIbre in my diabetes drawer as back up. Coincidentally, I used one earlier this month with no problems.

Reactions: Lainie71 and Rokaab

Kilted-Scot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My trial one failed, I called and they checked some stiff over the phone, use a diffrent phone with the app, and the replacex it, as it was faulty they send a prepaid bag to return it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very little does not mean zero, but the sensors can fail no matter what you're using to read them, this kind of tech is never guaranteed to be flawless - it cant be :)
Hi,

I got to be an exception. (to date.) been using L1s then the L2 for a number of years. In that time I’ve used Samsungs. A Galaxy note 4, Note 9 & now a Note 10. (I don’t even think these are compatible listed devices.)
Never needed to contact Abbott.

But there is going to always be the “odd one.” & from memory, there was one that was starting to lose adhesion on the edge 11 days in? But it held out & was reasonably accurate too..

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it’s more the body and not the technology unfortunately.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it’s more the body and not the technology unfortunately.
Well.? I wouldn’t disagree. However, I work in engineering production. Every unit in every batch is accountable. Checked & signed off with a “first off.”
I can imagine technicians & fitters working to a strict protocol. At the Abbott plant. But, human error (the odd “Friday nighter” with possible overtime?)
& faults with the supplier of the PCBs (if it’s outsourced?) can be tracked for an enquiry. Which is probably why Abbott like to have them sent back..

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You’ve never had a sensor failure?
Why do you think the reader makes any difference to sensor failures?
I can't speak for becca but I used Libre 2 for over 2 years with 3 different phones and experienced 2 sensor failures.
I only changed so that I can use a (self-funded) CGM that talks to my pump.