Keto chefs bread?

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Most things that's good for me
I've read a couple of times that keto chefs sandwich loaf is a pretty decent low carb bread. Can anyone vouch for it?

I'm getting sick of the carnivorous diet and the only thing I used to really eat was sandwiches or toast. I've tried with the Warburton's milk roll but at 8.3g carbs per slice it's still quite carb heavy considering how tiny they are.
The pictures of the sandwich loaf look nice but then again they're not going to post a picture of something that looks awful. At £6.25 per loaf though it's a very expensive mistake to make if it tastes horrible, not to mention it'll cost a fiver delivery as well!!

I am really missing bread in my diet, with bread I can have toast, sandwiches, something on toast, some bread to go with soup (homemade of course)
I had a sandwich last night, Warburton's milk roll bread, 2 slices packed with lots and lots of ham. It was heaven! I never thought I'd say that about a rather boring ham sandwich

So should I pay over £11 for a loaf of bread to satisfy my cravings?

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I definitely wouldn’t pay that for bread and like you I lived on toast and sandwiches, maybe that’s why I’m now T2! I buy the hovis50 which is about 8g a slice but limit myself to 2 slices maximum a day. A lot of the time I have only one slice (something on toast) or no bread at all and fill my small plate with cheese, cooked meat and hard boiled eggs for lunch.
Have you tried any of the low carb 90 minute bread recipes on YouTube?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've read a couple of times that keto chefs sandwich loaf is a pretty decent low carb bread. Can anyone vouch for it?

I'm getting sick of the carnivorous diet and the only thing I used to really eat was sandwiches or toast. I've tried with the Warburton's milk roll but at 8.3g carbs per slice it's still quite carb heavy considering how tiny they are.
The pictures of the sandwich loaf look nice but then again they're not going to post a picture of something that looks awful. At £6.25 per loaf though it's a very expensive mistake to make if it tastes horrible, not to mention it'll cost a fiver delivery as well!!

I am really missing bread in my diet, with bread I can have toast, sandwiches, something on toast, some bread to go with soup (homemade of course)
I had a sandwich last night, Warburton's milk roll bread, 2 slices packed with lots and lots of ham. It was heaven! I never thought I'd say that about a rather boring ham sandwich

So should I pay over £11 for a loaf of bread to satisfy my cravings?
I've just tried Keto Chef bread and for a low carb loaf I feel it's quite 'bread like' I m now six years in though and haven't had real bread or cakes in all that time so may be easily pleased! It's not the same as real bread but toasted from frozen one slice i find hits the spot. For me I miss the crunch of toast! Their rolls I found enjoyable too - I put in an order big enough to qualify for free delivery and then froze it all on arrival. I separated,as usual, my slices with strips of kitchen towel and then put back in bag to enable me to take out a slice at a time. I regard all low carb bakery products as something that help me to feel less deprived but I'm lucky in that I can stick to small amounts However not everyone can and I understand that for some it can trigger going back to the real thing. I consider myself lucky as just having small bits works for me. Because I only have small amounts on a daily basis an order frozen on delivery lasts me several months so while it's expensive it's worth it for me.
Have you looked at and tried other low carb bread? for example Seriously low carb is also good and I think cheaper?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can anyone who has ordered the keto chef products, @shelley262 , or anyone else, tell us how fresh the dtuff is on delivery? What I mean is how fast is the delivery? Of last Royal Mail has been taking up to a week to get first class post to me, and if the bread from keto chef is not sent by fast courier service then I suspect it could be somewhat stale after a few days.

I really could do with some decent low carb bread, as I have been quite ill of late, and cannot stick to my usual low carb diet. Been mainly toast. Have even had to follow the BRAT (banana , rice, apple juice , toast) diet. Though I have not had rice much, the toast has been my main diet. I have tried making my own low carb bread, but a lot of it is too eggy, and that is off my menu, too, atm.
Thanks.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone who has ordered the keto chef products, @shelley262 , or anyone else, tell us how fresh the dtuff is on delivery? What I mean is how fast is the delivery? Of last Royal Mail has been taking up to a week to get first class post to me, and if the bread from keto chef is not sent by fast courier service then I suspect it could be somewhat stale after a few days.

I really could do with some decent low carb bread, as I have been quite ill of late, and cannot stick to my usual low carb diet. Been mainly toast. Have even had to follow the BRAT (banana , rice, apple juice , toast) diet. Though I have not had rice much, the toast has been my main diet. I have tried making my own low carb bread, but a lot of it is too eggy, and that is off my menu, too, atm.
Thanks.
I get my bread now from Srsly Low Carb. They send it 24hr tracked but it can take them 4-5 working days to post it out. The last lot I got once they’d posted it it it was here within one day and had a weeks date left on it. I freeze it all straight away and just take out what I need.

I think you can also pay extra for next day delivery but I’m not sure about that bit as I’ve just gone back to them after The Low Carb Food Co ceased trading. I know @KennyA uses them so maybe can give you more info

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks.
Hiya sorry to hear how poorly you've been.
Really quick delivery from keto chef they do next day if order by 12 and it's royal mail delivery .
Edit just spotted you're having royal mail issues so could be an issue Seriously take longer but was dpd which may work better?

Last edited:

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I definitely wouldn’t pay that for bread and like you I lived on toast and sandwiches, maybe that’s why I’m now T2! I buy the hovis50 which is about 8g a slice but limit myself to 2 slices maximum a day. A lot of the time I have only one slice (something on toast) or no bread at all and fill my small plate with cheese, cooked meat and hard boiled eggs for lunch.
Have you tried any of the low carb 90 minute bread recipes on YouTube?
I used to like some toast in the mornings if I didn't have cereal and sandwiches for lunch. At the time I thought I was doing the healthy thing but clearly not as my bg was going through the roof.

I have tried a couple of 90 second breads but found them gritty and grainy and I really don't like almond flour which it the one I bought. I now have a tub full of almond flour that I can't use because I can't stand the flavour.

I'll have to try other breads with different flours, obtaining the flours gives much the same problem as bread though as they're only available online with extortionate delivery costs!
I've just tried Keto Chef bread and for a low carb loaf I feel it's quite 'bread like' I m now six years in though and haven't had real bread or cakes in all that time so may be easily pleased! It's not the same as real bread but toasted from frozen one slice i find hits the spot. For me I miss the crunch of toast! Their rolls I found enjoyable too - I put in an order big enough to qualify for free delivery and then froze it all on arrival. I separated,as usual, my slices with strips of kitchen towel and then put back in bag to enable me to take out a slice at a time. I regard all low carb bakery products as something that help me to feel less deprived but I'm lucky in that I can stick to small amounts However not everyone can and I understand that for some it can trigger going back to the real thing. I consider myself lucky as just having small bits works for me. Because I only have small amounts on a daily basis an order frozen on delivery lasts me several months so while it's expensive it's worth it for me.
Have you looked at and tried other low carb bread? for example Seriously low carb is also good and I think cheaper?
I'm about 2 months in and already starting to waver! I'm just finding my lack of meal options tedious and even just the thought of a slice of hot buttered toast for breakfast is making my mouth water.

I did look at other products on their site but there's nothing really that I would be craving so spending £50 would be pointless. The cakes look nice but very expensive and I simply would not pay that much. Although I miss them I can live without them. I'm certainly not going to order £50 worth of bread on the off chance that I might like it.

I haven't tried any of the low carb products online yet. Most of them are similar though because the products may be a pound or 2 cheaper but the delivery charge is much the same. Not their fault I know as it will be the courier that sets them prices. It still adds up to around £8-10 per loaf if ordered individually.

I've just looked at that hovis 50 online and another suggestion it came up with was Sainsbury's hi lo bread. Only 5g carbs per slice.
Is this stuff any good? (Sainsbury's is 2 mins from me, getting my coat!) :p

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use SRSLY for rolls and wraps. I have a delivery every four weeks, and work round that. The bread does freeze and keeps well enough in the fridge anyway. It also toasts quite well. It's very definitely not bread, but at around 3g a roll will do well enough. I really don't like all the happy marketing talk they indulge in but the products are fine.

I normally aim for around 20g/day, so standard bread isn't going to feature ever. The "lower-carb" bread items carried by supermarkets are in my opinion a bit of a con - I've seen ones with tiny slices (advertised as "only 8g a slice"), bread with crusts cut off to reduce weight, etc. They clearly want to appeal to the low carb market but not to the extent of actually producing any low-carb breads.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to like some toast in the mornings if I didn't have cereal and sandwiches for lunch. At the time I thought I was doing the healthy thing but clearly not as my bg was going through the roof.

I have tried a couple of 90 second breads but found them gritty and grainy and I really don't like almond flour which it the one I bought. I now have a tub full of almond flour that I can't use because I can't stand the flavour.

I'll have to try other breads with different flours, obtaining the flours gives much the same problem as bread though as they're only available online with extortionate delivery costs!

I'm about 2 months in and already starting to waver! I'm just finding my lack of meal options tedious and even just the thought of a slice of hot buttered toast for breakfast is making my mouth water.

I did look at other products on their site but there's nothing really that I would be craving so spending £50 would be pointless. The cakes look nice but very expensive and I simply would not pay that much. Although I miss them I can live without them. I'm certainly not going to order £50 worth of bread on the off chance that I might like it.

I haven't tried any of the low carb products online yet. Most of them are similar though because the products may be a pound or 2 cheaper but the delivery charge is much the same. Not their fault I know as it will be the courier that sets them prices. It still adds up to around £8-10 per loaf if ordered individually.

I've just looked at that hovis 50 online and another suggestion it came up with was Sainsbury's hi lo bread. Only 5g carbs per slice.
Hi lo is okay toasted I find problem is often finding it in stock. I looked in my large Sainsbury's before did this keto chef order and none in stock. You often have to check all shelves too as sometimes it's there but not in an obvious spot! I keep looking when in there and really hope you find it crossing my fingers for you.
Another supermarket option if Waitrose nearby is liv life but often not in stock!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Pipp and retrogamer

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi lo is okay toasted I find problem is often finding it in stock. I looked in my large Sainsbury's before did this keto chef order and none in stock. You often have to check all shelves too as sometimes it's there but not in an obvious spot! I keep looking when in there and really hope you find it crossing my fingers for you.
Another supermarket option if Waitrose nearby is liv life but often not in stock!
Unfortunately Waitrose is the only supermarket not in my local area. There is one about 10 miles away, I'll check them out if I go out that way.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This thread has the bread that i make in it.

Reactions: retrogamer

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you like German style bread (think rye/pumpernickel) My local Asda has this, 7.9g of carb per 100g
1700150225667.png

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sainsbury's hi lo bread. Only 5g carbs per slice.
I buy this, about £2.20 a small loaf. I freeze it and use just a slice or 2 a time. Works well for cheese on toast. Tastes like a mild rye bread with a dense bread texture. Worth trying. It's often on the end if the aisle, or up on top or down on bottom shelf, somewhere near the regular bread, ie. Not with the gluten free stuff.
Slices are small but very filling.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Reverting to the original question, I bought a loaf each of the Keto Chef sandwich and multi grain (?) to compare with the Lowcarb Food loaf I still have in the freezer.
I tried half a slice of each with just butter, and the other half toasted with butter and marmite.
Both the KC breads, plain and toasted, were nicer than the LCF.
I could only see half a piece of sunflower heart in the so-called multi seed slice and the two loaves looked otherwise identical.

Taste wise I definitely preferred the multi seed and I will get it again.

Neither of them toasted like regular bread but if one stops trying to compare, then they were fine.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Note re KC bread, the slices are small (like the Lowcarb Food one) but enough for me.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Firstly, I wish you a speedy recovery.
I got my order within 48 hours via Royal Mail and it was very fresh. I kept out a couple of slices an put the rest in the freezer.

I always thaw a slice in a sealed Jiffy bag (other brands are available) overnight before using, especially if toasting. The result is a rather more crunchy result.

Reactions: Pipp

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I use SRSLY for rolls and wraps. I have a delivery every four weeks, and work round that. The bread does freeze and keeps well enough in the fridge anyway. It also toasts quite well. It's very definitely not bread, but at around 3g a roll will do well enough. I really don't like all the happy marketing talk they indulge in but the products are fine.

I normally aim for around 20g/day, so standard bread isn't going to feature ever. The "lower-carb" bread items carried by supermarkets are in my opinion a bit of a con - I've seen ones with tiny slices (advertised as "only 8g a slice"), bread with crusts cut off to reduce weight, etc. They clearly want to appeal to the low carb market but not to the extent of actually producing any low-carb breads.
I got this bread delivered today, I usually ignore “low carb” products but as you endorsed it I figured I would try it, pretty amazing to eat toast again and I’m waiting on my bacon roll lol, thanks for mentioning it.

Delrima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Speaking of Keto Chef.... I just got a bag of their expensive Ultra Low carb flour and now I'm damned if I can find any recipes online. It's a bit too costly to make too many experiments with. They have 2 recipes on their site - one for pastry, but it's bread and cakes I crave. Made a pretty successful almost-bread from it yesterday substituting almond flour in a random recipe. Anyone know of any anywhere please?

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't comment on Keto Chef bread unfortunately.

I use Livlife, as someone else recommended, however like you Waitrose isn't particularly convenient. It freezes well though and it's only £2 per loaf.

I also sometimes get this bread (2.2g carbs per 100g):

Beyond that, I use these rolls (1.4g carbs per roll):

I also use these pizza bases (1.4g carbs per base), if that's of interest:

All the above freezes well, so I do an order that's over £20, which gets free delivery. Also, just for clarity, I have no affiliation or relationship with this supplier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Speedbird

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some useful info for seriously low carb, was doing an order today and if you do your order through the build a bundle rather than just add to basket as you go, then they give you next day shipping for cost of standard shipping. I waited 6 days last time for standard shipping