Type 1 who just cant lose weight

binney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
I am in real need of some serious help.Let me tell you a bit about myself in the hope that someone out there can help and understand my dilema! I have been Type 1 for nearly 25 years, I am a woman aged 50 and am currently on Humulin s pre meal and Insulatard pre bed,was previously on novorapid and lantus but got it changed as sugar levels were awful!My last HBA1C was 8.The last 2 years have been very difficult to cope with controling high blood sugars and continous weight gain despite trying every diet under the sun,that includes low carb,slim fast,atkins you name it ive tried it but i have never been able to achieve more than a few pounds loss and then my enthuisiasm wanes and then my love of food takes over and beats me every time as I have very little willpower and a family who are diet sabatours.hehe.My problem is I have the knowledge and know exactly what i should and shouldnt be eating and what exercise i should be doing and I try to do it all but I just cant maintain it for long enough to achieve the 3stone loss I dream of.I am reaching the point now where I feel it is becoming an impossible dream and that diabetes is finaly after all these years beating me as I dont feel in control anymore,its just getting harder and harder.I am generaly a positive happy person but am feeling so tired of it all,and despair of ever feeling fit and healthy and motivated again.Would welcome any thoughts or inspiration from anyone who understands how ime feeling :(
Many thanks
Binney x

Elc1112

Re: TYPE 1 WHO JUST CANT LOOSE WEIGHT

Hi binney,

I'm a type 1 also and find it really hard to lose weight. I'll do the whole cut the calories and up the exercise routine but the pounds do not go easily. Any of my friends try the same thing and they lose three-four pounds a week. I then get disheartened and stop. It's incredibly frustrating.

I've had my thyroid etc checked and everything was normal. My doctor keeps telling me it's the insulin that's causing this. I suffered from an eating disorder when I was younger and know all to well the effects of stopping your insulin for the sake of being slim!

I find the only way that I can lose weight is to really restrict the number of calories I'm having (within reason) and exercise like crazy. Even then it is slow and the better my diabwtes control the harder it is!

All I can say is stick at it. It may take a while bit it will happen. Also try to find a diet that isn't too hardcore so it's easier to stick to long term. Once the weight does start to come off I fond that it does so quite steadily - albeit at a slow rate!

Take care and good luck!

Emma

binney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Emma

Many thanks for your reply much appreciated,nice to know there is someone who can understand how I feel.Am going to try low carbing again and hopefully if I can reduce my Insulin then that may help.Have you tried that method?Any luck?

Thanks again

Binney

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
As you know to lose weight you need to eat fewer calories and do more exercise.

EXCEPT that that doesn't work.

We are all told that and your GP and nurse will insist that that is true, but it's not. You will find lots of posts here that give witness to that and some remarkable 'miracle diet' type responses from people who have had decades of problems with their diabetes and weight when they abandon the calories in/calories out idea and focus on reducing carbohydrates.

The ONLY hormone in the body that causes fat to be laid down and also actively stops the fat you already have from being metabolised is our old friend insulin. The more insulin you have in your blood the fatter you will be. That's the beginning middle and end of it.

So why does exercise help? It increases your sensitivity to insulin so you need less of it. Why do calorie but not carbohydrate restricted diets show some success? Because you are eating proportionally less carbohydrate and so need less insulin.

So what to do? I'd say do Atkins induction to the letter for at least 2 weeks and then stay at it until you reach the weight you want; you can gradually increase the amount of carbs you eat if you wish. I find I can't really maintain good control on more than 30 carbs a day (the amount that Dr Bernstein recommends in his book).

Forget about calories and fear of fat; get rid of the carbs.

As you are on insulin (like me) you'll need to carefully monitor your blood sugars and insulin dose (which will need to come down) as you do this.

The worst thing that you can do with this approach is to do it for 5 days and then give up; you need to commit to it for at least 2 weeks and be strict otherwise your metabolism will be confused as to what it's meant to be doing. You should not think of this approach as a diet but as a lifestyle; this is something that you can do for the rest of your life.

Read as much on the forum as you can; if you have questions post them and many people will be here to help.

Best

Dillinger

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
borofergie said:
Here is the latest article from everyone's favourite science writer (that coincidently appeared in my inbox this morning):
http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2 ... iling.html

Good stuff - here's a sentence that particularly caught my eye

"As for those of us who are overweight, experimental trials, the gold standard of medical evidence, suggest that diets that are severely restricted in fattening carbohydrates and rich in animal products—meat, eggs, cheese—and green leafy vegetables are arguably the best approach, if not the healthiest diet to eat. Not only does weight go down when people eat like this, but heart disease and diabetes risk factors are reduced."

Binney you may think this sounds like crazy ranting; but Borofergie has an HbA1c in the 4's (and is Type 2) and mine is 6.1 (I'm a Type 1 like you). Both of those results are because of approaching our diabetes on the basis that carbohydrates are the ones to worry about not fat and not protein. You can get at least to my HbA1c and may even get towards Borofergie's - it's not magic or nonsense; it's science.

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Binney,

I suppose it doesn't help with your family being 'diet saboteurs'...shame on them! :)

Like you my weight crept up over the years and I would lose it then put it back on again. Two years ago after completing the DAFNE course I decided to make a determined effort to shift the weight once and for all, I sort the advice of my dietitian at my local hospital and together we looked at the calories I was consuming and ways in which I could cut back, at this time I also bought an exercise bike and increased the duration of my dog walks both morning and night, altogether I was exercising around 90 minutes a day (more on a weekend).

I didn't lose weight quick and it took me nearly 2 years to lose the weight I needed to shift ( 29lbs in total) but the way I look at it the slower you lose the weight the less likely you are at putting it back on, so far I've kept the weight off although it does fluctuate 1-2lbs.

Therefore it might be worth you talking with your diabetes team and ask for assistance from the dietitian to look at your diet, joining a gym or local activity group would also help as would joining a slimming club such as Weight Watchers or Slimming World, my wife (non diabetic) lost 3 stone with Slimming World and I believe they do now cater for people with diabetes, some type 2's on the forum have lost weight successfully with both clubs although I've not seen anyone posting who is a type 1......but you can certainly enquire just the same.

Good luck!

leggott

Just like Noblehead my husband (type 1 for 26 years) lost just under 2 stone with a combination of exercise, reducing calories and cutting down on the carbs. He also did it slowly and has kept the weight off.

We always had a runner or cross trainer in the house, but kept it in a spare room - hence it was never used. The turning point for him was when I bought an exercise bike which I put in the middle of the lounge in front of the TV! Since he could then cycle and watch tv at the sAme time he started to use the bike more frequently. He now runs quite long distances and has included an exercise regime as part of his daily routine.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My husband is T1 with weight issues. He's tried to go nearer to Dr. Bernstein's diet recommendations and it's brought his insulin requirement and Hba1c down. It hasn't done much for his weight so far, but he's topped gaining.
Unfortunately, the more insulin you use the worse the weight problems get.
If your family are saboteurs, I suggest you keep a food diary and show them what they are doing to you. they should be supporting you.
Hana

VernSmith

Workout seriously isn't simply a approach to assist you to shed weight quickly. An exercise routine plan may benefit practically any sort of component of the life style. Sometimes little physical exercise every single week could produce large modifications in your own general wellness and how to lose weight. Cardio exercise is actually a great strategy to get rid of weight and offer you a healthful heart. Individuals who workout on a regular basis have a great number of actual physical rewards from these exercises that they usually have less cases of a number of chronic ailments too. Diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular system disorder and also many forms of cancer are significantly less wide-spread in those who exercising. Day-to-day exercising is in fact proven to decrease mind exhaustion and depressive disorders signs or symptoms. Considering that physical exercise enhances the amount of fresh new, oxygen rich blood through the entire body, in addition, you normally get well much more rapidly from any sort of trauma. All-in-all, workout can be so helpful that you will truly ought to add it for your diet plan.

Scoop4

I am type 1 and have been for 17 years I also have had great problems over the last few years with weight gain which is made worse by none of my medical team being able to tell me why. Reading some of these replies has made me feel better as it gives me some possible causes. I have recently been put on some medication for my neuropathy and have lost nearly 2stone was told by my GP that the medication speeds up metabolism and this could be why. When I looked this up have found connection to diabetes and slowing of metabolism and how to speed it up. This could be your problem you could have a slow metabolism there are quite a few sites that have info on specific food and exercise to speed it up. Good luck and keep trying

Scoop4

Could some one please tell me what kind of carbs are you suggesting you reduce to help reduce your weight. I ask this as I attended a course before I was put on my pump which said that a lot of foods which I previously would not have counted should be calculated when you are working out your insulin. Things like carrots, peas and sausages. Some food carb content depend on how it's cooked. I know I may sound thick asking this question but would like more specifics please.

Mileana

Okay - the 'obvious' first: Sugar, fruit, fresh milk and starches (rice, bread, pasta etc).

The less obvious: Vegetables with have a 'sugary flavour' - carrots (when cooked especially), peas, corn...

If you read the label of things like sausages, meatballs etc, you will often find they contain 'some' carbohydrate - that is because they are made similar to what you would if you had done it at home - to make the meat bind together, you add an egg, a bit of flour (carbs), and sometimes for taste, a bit of sugar is added, too.

However, green leafy vegetables contain very little carbohydrate. Fresh meat and fish contains nothing. Cheese contains very little, but it is buffered by the fat content. Eggs are good too.

Nuts have some carbohydrate. Almonds work best for me, they're low in carbs and good in everything else (healthy oils, vit E).

If you go to a place like myfitnesspal or one of the other sites which tell you nutritional information of various foods, you can type in what you normally eat, what you ate yesterday, what you'd like tomorrow and see how that looks on the carbohydrate side.

Basically, the easiest in terms of determining carbohydrate off the top of your head, is to compose your own meals consisting of simple ingredients that have not been overly processed.

Have a look in the low-carb section and check Viv's modified atkins diet - it has a wealth of information and a sensible starting point list for what should be safe to include.

-M

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
borofergie said:
And as if by magic, Gary Taubes appeared.

Here is the latest article from everyone's favourite science writer (that coincidently appeared in my inbox this morning):
http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2 ... iling.html

Unfortunately the sound would not work for me even after reloading the page a few times I will try to load the video again the next time I boot my PC and see if it works then. But reading Taubes test I see no new revelations just the usual "not all calories are created equal stuff".

Taubes said:
There is an alternative theory, one that has also been around for decades but that the establishment has largely ignored. This theory implicates specific foods—refined sugars and grains—because of their effect on the hormone insulin, which regulates fat accumulation. If this hormonal-defect hypothesis is true, not all calories are created equal, as the conventional wisdom holds. And if it is true, the problem is not only controlling our impulses, but also changing the entire American food economy and rewriting our beliefs about what constitutes a healthy diet.

Seems to be rather a lot of ifs in that piece. But lets say for a minute that what Taubes says is all true and will one day be proved, why is it the so many people who follow his - theory/diet/very low carb approach - find their weight plateaus and they are unable to lose weight, you only need to read this forum to see this is true.

Also after watching the "Gut" program last night I wonder if calories have much to do with anything. Question - How is it that after bariatric surgery patients can only eat once or twice a day and even then only very small meals like a cup a soup and still function healthily? Doesnt make much sense to me if everyone has to eat 2500 plus calories a day.

Oh, and BTW I am asking serious questions here please treat them as such :)

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
I'm not entirely sure but I remember watching a program many moons ago,with Dr Shaw Summers,bariatric surgeon and some of his patients who had undergone a non reversible gastric bypass and I seem to remember long term that these patients needed additional supplements and vitamins.

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
There is another factor here Binney. You have reached a stressful age for women, as I have experienced.
You are 50 , you are female, you are gaining weight for no obvious reason, eating without thinking. Been there, done that.
Setting aside the Diabetes, that happens to most women in their early 50s. It could be hormones plain and simple, or lack of them.
For many women their bodies lay down extra fat stores at this age because body fat contains hormones that work like oestrogen, and their bodies use it as a substitute to stay healthy whilst oestrogen production is ceasing (menopause).
You may need to accept that you simple cannot weigh the same as you did at 20, no need for despair, it can be a sign of good health that your body is protecting itself like this. Do not forget that overweight is healthier than normal weight in older people.
The changes in your bodies hormone regulation can also mean that your Diabetes is changing its behaviour and it will take time for you to find a new balance of treatment that works best.
My own view is that it is more important to be healthy than to be thin. Carb Control at all times and forget your weight, just work at getting the BG to normal levels

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Sid Bonkers said:
Seems to be rather a lot of ifs in that piece. But lets say for a minute that what Taubes says is all true and will one day be proved, why is it the so many people who follow his - theory/diet/very low carb approach - find their weight plateaus and they are unable to lose weight, you only need to read this forum to see this is true.

Weight platues are a natural part of dieting. You start by reducing your calorie intake, as you lose weight you shed the muscle mass needed to carry the flab around. Less muscle means a lower metabolic rate - and so at some stage you either need to reduce your food intake further.

Fat retention and metabolism is part of a complex biological process, governed by many variables. Why would you expect weight loss be linear? Anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight will tell you that it comes in fits and starts. You can lose nothing for weeks, and then a whole lot will come of in a few days.

I'm not sure that I accept your assertion that "many people who follow his - theory/diet/very low carb approach - find their weight plateaus and they are unable to lose weight". Sure some people get stuck for a while, but others have been very successful in shifting large amounts of weight. Most of the research says that low-carb diets are as least as effective as other methods of dieting, and often more effective.

Also after watching the "Gut" program last night I wonder if calories have much to do with anything. Question - How is it that after bariatric surgery patients can only eat once or twice a day and even then only very small meals like a cup a soup and still function healthily? Doesnt make much sense to me if everyone has to eat 2500 plus calories a day.

The post surgery patients you are describing are feeding their metabolism off large amounts of body fat, that's the point of doing the surgery. If you have large amounts of body fat, you only really need to eat about 1g of protein to each lb of lean body mass per day to avoid muscle wastage. Other than than you can get along for a very long time without eating any fat or any carbohydrate.

Anyone who is obese enough to require bariatric surgery will likely be burning much more than 2500 calories a day.

Other than that, calories are everything. The first law of thermodynamics says that must be true.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Paul1976 said:
I'm not entirely sure but I remember watching a program many moons ago,with Dr Shaw Summers,bariatric surgeon and some of his patients who had undergone a non reversible gastric bypass and I seem to remember long term that these patients needed additional supplements and vitamins.

I dont doubt it but what about extra calories after their BMI is normal? Food for thought perhaps?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
borofergie said:
Anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight will tell you that it comes in fits and starts. You can lose nothing for weeks, and then a whole lot will come of in a few days.

But I lost a "significant amount of weight" and found it a steady downward process until I added more food to my diet by way of snacks and slightly larger portions, as I was happy with my weight.

borofergie said:
Most of the research says that low-carb diets are as least as effective as other methods of dieting, and often more effective.

What the research actually says is that "low-carb diets are as least as effective as other methods of dieting" for around 6 months after which they appeared not to be as effective - or words to that effect.

borofergie said:
The post surgery patients you are describing are feeding their metabolism off large amounts of body fat, that's the point of doing the surgery. If you have large amounts of body fat, you only really need to eat about 1g of protein to each lb of lean body mass per day to avoid muscle wastage. Other than than you can get along for a very long time without eating any fat or any carbohydrate.
Anyone who is obese enough to require bariatric surgery will likely be burning much more than 2500 calories a day.

Other than that, calories are everything. The first law of thermodynamics says that must be true.

As I asked Paul previously what happens after the patient has reached their target BMI? they are not going to keep losing weight till they fade away are they, so how important are calories - really?

I saw a trailer for a TV program recently about the advances made in cheating old age which featured a 55 y o male who looked to be in his 30's or so who had lived all his life (since his teens) on a drastically reduced diet to prove/disprove that diet can turn the clock back, he did eat enough vitamins and nutrients but a reduced amount of calories to the extent that he would peel an apple and eat the peel and throw the apple away as most of the nutrients (he claims) are found in the skin. He looks to be quite fit and healthy. It has long been known that life can be extended significantly by calorie restriction but it has always been said to come with a down side, that of vitamin deficiency related problems in bones and a general lack of energy, but could it be that what you eat is more important than how much you eat?
Now I have not seen the actual program and cant even remember when it is/was on or what it was called neither can I find anything on line about it, I'm probably searching for the wrong key words, but I did find a couple of fairly interesting links about calorie restriction. As I said to Paul, food for thought.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-12-brain-young.html

http://www.naturalchoice.net/blogs/Blog ... rever.html

Of course the OP's situation is different as they are T1, but I was on insulin treatment when I achieved my weight loss so it can be done providing insulin levels are kept to a minimum and carefully matched to carb intake, I fully understand that a T2 on insulin is not the same as being T1 but I found calorie restriction worked well for me. And I dont mean that to sound like it was easy because it wasnt but I was strongly motivated and I do believe that motivation is everything where weight loss is concerned. No diet will work if you dont work hard and stick with it.

You have to own it :thumbup:

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Sid Bonkers said:
Paul1976 said:

I dont doubt it but what about extra calories after their BMI is normal? Food for thought perhaps?
It certainly is food for thought,I have been wondering that myself as the program was so long ago so I don't remember what the long term outlook was for these patients,unless they were adding a 'complan' type drink to their diet maybe?I'll have to do a bit of research on this to satisfy my curisosity