hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Re: Low Carb Recipes.

Hana's home-made burgers.
The quantites are not critical
1/2 pound minced beef( not too lean)
1/4 pound pork mince
1egg
1clove garlic crushed
1/2medium or 1small onion finely chopped
little oil
sweat the onion in oil, until soft anf glassy and then add garlic to pan. Cook gently until scent develops ( careful! garlic burns easily)
when cooked, set aside to cool
Mix beef and pork mince thoroughly, add a little( about tsp ) salt
mix in onion and garlic
break the egg and mix in.
Shape 6 burgers from this mix.
You can George, grill or fry.
Will take about 10 mins.
are done when outside is well cooked and dark.
Serve with salad or veggies of choice
For picnics, wrap the burger in a lettuce leaf, with gherkin, tomato and mayo and cover in cling film. As good as a bun, but VERY FEW carbs.
You can vary this to suit yourself. If you like it some curry spices might be nice.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??

Coconut Chocolate Stuff ... or "Almond Bark" by Rose Elliott!

100 grammes coconut oil (Always use virgin pressed)
100 grammes ground almonds (I use a blend of low carb ground nuts - including macadamia nuts!)
25 grammes pure raw cocoa powder
25 grammes granulated sweetener of choice (I use xylitol)

Melt coconut oil (this doesn't take long)
Throw in cocoa and mix well so you have chocolate oil
Stir in sweetener and allow to soften / disolve (whatever your chosen sweetener does!)
Stir in nuts
Mix it all really well and scoop/pour into plastic tub and allow to cool (coolest part of fridge) for at least 90 minutes
When set, cut and leave another few minutes before serving

If you want to eat chunks like fudge use a slightly smaller tub or if you want chocolate-like slabs use a large flat tub

Originally from Rose Elliots Low Carb Vegetarian (an excellent book) I adapted the recipe slightly

BENEFITS:

* zero impact on blood sugar
* beneficial compounds in coconut oil (yes the fat is saturated but it's the right molecule)
* beneficial compounds in cocoa
* almonds are known to reduce cholesterol
* tastes amazing
* unbelievably fast and easy to make
* makes 21 large servings

ENJOY ... I do!

Jem xoxoxoxox

EDIT TO ADD:

Quantity --- Food --- Calories --- Fat --- Protein --- Carb

100 grms - coconut oil - 900 - 100 - 0 - 0
100 grms - ground almonds - 615 - 55.8 - 21.1 - 6.9
20 grms - cocoa - 64 - 4.34 - 3.7 - 2.3
20 grms - Xylitol - 48 - 0 - 0 - 20
total - 1627 - 160.14 - 24.8 - 29.2
(21) serving - 77.5 - 7.6 - 1.2 - 1.4

Doczoc

Dave's creamy, parmesan cabbage!!!

Just made this up to go with the slow cooked pork belly I had for tea. I also did courgettes fried in olive oil. It was delicious, you've got to try it!!!!

I used two sweet heart cabbages, just what Aldi had in.

Take out the cores and slice them length ways, heat a large pan then add cabbage. Add a small amount of water (just enough to create some steam), cover and cook on full heat for 4 or 5 minutes, you want the cabbage wilted but with still some bite.

Take off heat, add a decent knob of butter. a glug of cream and some mustard to taste, (I did a teaspoon), mix thoroughly and put back on the heat, grate some fresh Parmesan on, as much as you want, salt and pepper to taste.

Delicious, I could have ate a mountain of it!

Just need to come up with a low carb sauce to cut through the belly pork fat, needed something sweet and acidic. Although the Sauvignon Blanc did a good job at doing that LOL

You could even add some pancetta or streaky bacon to the cabbage for a low carb carbonara!

Hope you give it a go.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.

I never thought of Brussels pate,I love that stuff.How much carbs does that have ?

Reactions: Nicolii

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers

Mmm yum, always used to have brussels pate on hot buttered toast when we were little. Maybe one can fit into tomorrow's menu! (Nimble here I come!)

Reactions: 4 people

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Pate on celery is the cat's nuts, without a doubt.
Incidentally, not only is it brussels pate season, it's also the time of the eponymous sprout.
Try this:
Fry some pancetta cubes for 5 mins while you finely shred 15-20 sprouts. Add to the pancetta with a chopped stick of celery and a crushed clove of garlic. Add a good splash of dry white wine. Now we play the waiting game. Allow it to simmer under a lid for 10-15 mins and you will have the most magical sprouts of all time.

fergus

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Try it Sue and you'll be keeping the weans at bay with pointy end of a fork :wink:

fergus

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans

Protein Pancakes:

25grams of whey protein (I get the flavoured kind in 25gram sachets, really cheap too)
a pinch of baking powder
1 egg
splash of milk.

Make as you usually make pancakes. The only difference for me is I have to make a paste with the milk and the whey protein as if you put the egg in on top of the dry powder it can go lumpy. They are surprisingly filling! Vanilla flavoured is excellent. I made a chocolate one last night and put a dollop of peanut butter in the middle. It was yum but boy did I feel sick afterwards. :oops:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

This thread rules! (that creamy cabbage sounds lush!) Some great recipes here. Is there a way to make savoury pancakes like the ones mentioned above? They'd be great for sandwich substitutes for work...

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans

I suppose you could use unflavoured protein powder. I used to make a Japanese recipe with normal pancake batter called Okonomiyaki where you shred some cabbage very finely, sautee it lightly and then add the pancake batter and put cheese on top. You could do something similar. Actually that would be yummy with some onions in too. :D

Reactions: 6 people

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Doczoc said:
I used two sweet heart cabbages, just what Aldi had in.

Take out the cores and slice them length ways, heat a large pan then add cabbage. Add a small amount of water (just enough to create some steam), cover and cook on full heat for 4 or 5 minutes, you want the cabbage wilted but with still some bite.

Take off heat, add a decent knob of butter. a glug of cream and some mustard to taste, (I did a teaspoon), mix thoroughly and put back on the heat, grate some fresh Parmesan on, as much as you want, salt and pepper to taste.

I'm gonna try this tonight. I bought a pack of mixed cabbage/leeks and some whole grain mustard from Tesco last night - reckon this will be lovely with some stir fried Chicken thrown in!

Reactions: 2 people

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Made it yesterday. Had no chicken so I used bacon lardins instead. Bloody lovely! But I forgot to put the mustard in. D'oh! :lol:

Doczoc

Patch said:
Made it yesterday. Had no chicken so I used bacon lardins instead. Bloody lovely! But I forgot to put the mustard in. D'oh! :lol:

Simple but effective, glad you liked!

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??

sugarless sue said:
But would it make my kids eat sprouts,though ,instead of throwing them under the telly!! :lol: :lol:

I love sprouts soooo much! Cannot understand why anyone would wanna throw them anyplace! other than on the plate :) xxx

• Agree
Reactions: Serena51