1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low Carb Recipes

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by sugarless sue, Nov 16, 2008.

1. mofofunk

mofofunk Type 2 · Member

99% Coco/Cocao

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could give me an idea what tasty treats I might be able to conjure up with some rather fine 99% coco (Lindt). I got two bars of it, 1 I have just had a piece every now and then as a treat, but I'm sure it could be used to make something really good, i just dont know what. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. As you can imagine it is REALLY REALLY strong :shock: and not for the faint hearted, its shame nowhere seems to stock it as I had to order it off the internet.

Thanks

Ash

P.S Going to try Dave's creamy parmesan cabbage, sounds so tasty!

2. louismum

louismum Type 2 · Active Member

Re: Low Carb Recipes.

Another crustless quiche

My sister got this from a magazine and I tried it yesterday, its very yummy but very rich, Nice hot or cold.

3 eggs
    7 oz strong cheese...grated
    1/4 pt milk
    7 oz bacon
    1 onion chopped
    1 oz butter
    seasoning (optional)

finely chop onion and chop up bacon........fry in the butter.
    While they are cooking beat up eggs and milk......when beaten add grated cheese and mix all together.
    Put the bacon and onions into a flan dish and top with the cheese, egg and milk mixture.

Cook at 200 degrees (electric temp) until set....20 minutes approx, may take a little longer according to oven.

This is lovely but I prefer it cold. I didn't season it as I used smoked bacon.

I am going to try making this minus the bacon as it will be like a really cheesey omelette and would be nice for when the hunger pangs strike or have some of it for breakfast; I will probably try using less cheese too.

3. louismum

louismum Type 2 · Active Member

I just made another crustless quiche from my recipe (above) but this time I added a few sliced mushrooms. had a piece for lunch ...delishious.

I've just thrown the following together to have for dinner tonight, never tried it but it looks nice lol

I wont state quantities ans its easily made to suit......

Large flat mushrooms
    chopped chorizo sausage
    chopped leeks
    grated cheese of your choice

bake the mushrooms in the oven after removing the stalks, until cooked...this takes jut a few minutes
    Fry the chorizo, chopped mushroom stalks and leeks in frying pan until cooked then pile on top of the mushrooms
    Sprinkle grated cheese over top and put back in the oven until the cheese melts.

Will let you know my verdict later :lol:

4. adm

adm · Well-Known Member

Re: 99% Coco/Cocao

Better late than never....but you could try this rather lovely chocolate mousse recipe:

Chocolate Mousse
    serves 4 to 6

3 1/2 oz unsweetened chocolate (at least 70% chocolate liquor or cocoa)
    3 large egg yolks
    2 - 3 tbsp Splenda
    5 large egg whites
    3/4 cup 35 % cream

Break chocolate into pieces. In a double boiler, over low heat, place chocolate pieces and 1 tbsp water, and melt, stirring with a spatula

In a mixing bowl, beat egg yolks and half of the Splenda until frothy. Gradually add the melted chocolate, beating continuously, and set aside

In a seperate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks have formed, set aside.

In a 3rd bowl, beat cream with the rest of the splenda until cream is think.

With a spatula, gently fold cream, then egg whites, into the chocolate mixture. Transfer to 4 - 6 individual serving bowls and refrigerate 5 hours before serving

Enjoy :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Patch

Patch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Where can I get 99% cocoa chocolate???

6. cugila

cugila · Master

One source for Michel Cluizel Noir Infini 99% chocolate is The Chocolate Trading Co (Google it)

It is not for the fainthearted as it is extremely bitter. If you have never tried it before just buy a small bar about £1.85 or it could be wasted.

I like it ! :)

7. Patch

I do like 90% chocolate - a bar lasts me weeks! 99% sounds like it might be a bit hardcore for me, but I imagine it would be great for cooking. (Adding cream and sweetener might "tone down" the flavour a bit. I imagine you'd have to reduce the QTY used in recipes by quite a lot for cake/cheescake recipes, though...)

Thanks for the advice - I'll drop 'em a line!

8. anniep

anniep · Well-Known Member

I was given this recipie for gluten free chocolate cake, I have just made it with Splenda to make it low carb and eaten it with cream and it has not affected my BG.

Chocolate cake
    150g dark chocolate
    150g butter
    6 eggs
    250g caster sugar - I used 25gm of splenda
    tsp vanilla essence
    100g ground almonds
    1tsp cinnamon and a pinch of ground cloves
    2tsp instant espresso
    oven 180C 23cm lined and buttered cake tin

melt butter and chocolate together
    beat eggs vanilla and sugar together until double in volume
    gently fold in dry ingredients and then fold in chocolate mixture

pour into tin, bake for 35-40 mins
    remove from oven and cover with a tea towel until cool,
    will fall a couple of inches and be gooey inside.

It didn't rise very much and I don't know if it was the way I made it or the use of splenda, but it didn't sink back down at the end and wasn't gooey in the middle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. ))Denise((

))Denise(( Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Chocolate Tray Bake

I've been trying to find a recipe which is low carb and wheat free to satisfy my craving for cake and found this recipe deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/gluten-free-nutty-chocolate-traybake

I used 85% chocolate and walnuts instead of pecans, I also omitted the coffee and added about half a teaspoon of orange essence. It has a lovely chocolate orange flavour and is very rich, I didn't think it would be enough to split into 12 portions but you wouldn't want a larger slice.

I should imagine you could substitute the sugar for splenda or xylitol, but using 85% chocolate I worked it out to be less than 7g carb per slice.

Even my non-diabetic hubby liked it.

10. jaykay

jaykay · Well-Known Member

One of the hardest things to give up was my lattes. I loved them! I have at last found a low carb alternative :
    Spiced chai latte.

Soy milk ( whichever one you like but I use the no added sugar, light one)
    Chunk of ginger root about as big as your thumb
    Cardomom pods x 4
    Loose leaf tea
    Splenda or your sweetener.

Slice ginger into 4 chunks. Bruise the cardomom pods to open them. Throw into a saucepan with the soy milk and bring slowly to a simmer. Add a desertspoon of loose leaf tea and continue to simmer for 2 minutes. Pour through a strainer into your cup and add splenda to taste-as it's a chai, it should be quite sweet.

11. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Mmmm.....I think 99% could be a bit to bitter for my liking, 85% is about right but would like to try a small piece of 99% dark chocolate just for the experience.

Nigel

12. angieG

angieG Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this recipe, I love it.
    I have also experimented with it for making small cakes and have been making one fifth of the recipe (makes 6 small cakes) and have so far tried batches of: dark chocolate chip, ginger, lemon essence flavour, chocolate (as per above), raisin and banana.
    I bake them for about 20 mins and they don't appear to affect my levels hardly at all.
    Great to be able to eat cake and change varieties often, thank you. :D
    Angie

13. Lula

Lula · Member

Mushroom Bhaji

Hi,

I am newly Type 2 and experimenting..this recipe doesn't send my levels up high, I hope I've got it right and it is low carb.

Mushroom Bhaji

2 large onions, thinly sliced
    oil or butter for frying
    1 tsp ground turmeric
    1 tsp chilli powder
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    375 gms mushrooms, sliced

Melt oil or butter in a pan, saute onions for 3 minutes or until tender.
    Add turmeric, chilli and garlic, saute for 1 minute.
    Add mushrooms, saute over low heat or until mushrooms are ready.

I made it tonight and had it with cauliflower and a couple of sausages and I was fine.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Patch

Nothing wrong with that. (Sounds bl**dy lovely, actually!)

If you wanted to be super cautious, you could cook the onions a little less (or on a lower heat for longer) just to stop any caramelisation.

Browning onions can bring the sugar out out in 'em... (Same with Tomatoes).

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. angieG

I made the full quantity version of this recipe using 2 large bananas instead of the cocoa and put it in a round cake tin over Easter. When cooled I sliced the cake horizontally so I had 2 layers. I then put whipped double cream in the middle and on top. Then I topped it off with grated high% chocolate and some (naughty) Cadburys mini eggs. This made a tasty gateau which I served with runny double cream poured over the portions for an Easter Sunday treat after lunch. Everyone enjoyed it and there was no significant damage to my levels in the process....lovely!! (And no I'm not on a diet since this low-carb lifestyle has made me slim already!!)
    Hope this helps someone,
    Regards
    Angie

16. Patch

GOD. ****.

That sounds good.

(**** it - I just released some more of those "make you fat without eating anything" brain signals!!) :lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. angieG

It not only sounds good, I can assure you it tastes good. Better half + parents all happy to tuck in too.
    I used greek yoghurt in one portion as Mum doesn't eat cream + it was declared good too!
    Angie

18. ClaireJC

ClaireJC · Member

Re: Dave's creamy, parmesan cabbage!!!

I just played with this - used spring greens that I cut into strips, 150 ml double cream, French mustard (1tblspn), onion rings and king prawns. Added a splash of White wine to make it a bit more runny. It was delicious, 0.9 units for a third of it meant I was 7.3 an hour after eating. Hubby and son liked it, too!

Negligible carbs and only about 400 or so calories per portion, if you're counting :p

19. ailz

ailz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Crispy Cauliflower

1 cauliflower
    2 tbsp olive oil
    Grainy mustard
    Grated parmesan or strong cheddar cheese

Break up the cauliflower into florets, put mustard on each floret then drizzle with Olive Oil. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Roast for 35 minutes.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Lula

Lula · Member

Ok, I am still fairly new to low carbing, so will you tell me if any recipes I post aren't low carb?? Experimenting a lot with food and want to share the results!

Peanut Chicken Stir Fry

Large dollop Whole Earth peanut butter
    splash of soy sauce
    chicken breast cut into strips
    handful of mushrooms
    half thinly sliced green cabbage
    slice of turkey bacon (optional)

Either marinade the chicken overnight in the peanut butter and soy sauce, or forget to do that :oops: and put it all in the pan. Fry the chicken until cooked, add soy and peanut butter, then the rest of the ingredients and stir fry until cooked. The peanut butter sauce should be sticking to everything. Eat whilst hot. You could use any veg for this really but cabbage and mushroom work well.

• Like Like x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook