Don't involve yourself in the blame game.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
I agree 1000%, I haven't mastered being T2 yet, I caved in 4 months ago and my HbA1C went from 43 to 50 and paid the price of not trying harder to stick to a proper diet and the advice given here. That said, and I have to say, the best advice and support hasn't come from the GP's, it hasn't come from my family but from people here. I has given me faith as unknown people so willingly offer support and solid advice. Without question, this forum is the best of any kind of forum (not just Diabetes) I have ever come across. Q.x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I only joined the forum yesterday but I have already learned so much.
I am 57 and was diagnosed as T2 about 10 years ago. All my life I have struggled with my weight. I've been a size 16 max and what I suppose is called a yo yo dieter, losing 2 or 3 stones 4times in my life and always focused on low fat. Currently I weigh 11.5 stone with a BMI of 28.
Over the past year I have read a lot about that theory being wrong and sugar being to blame not fat. I cook with fresh ingredients but now I have embarked on a low carb diet. Immediately my sugars have dropped. I feel more in control. Like a previous writer I have cut cals in the past and lost little weight. Watch this space. Will low carbs lead not only to glucose control but weight loss to a healthy BMI? Really excited! Steph

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

JayneW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just found this post, so glad to see it being discussed because the media is full of blame.

Shortly after diagnosis, when i was feeling really down about it, I found Blood Sugar 101 which helped me understand diabetes and I found a page on the front page there called "You Did NOT Eat Your Way to Diabetes. The REAL Causes." stopped me feeling so bad about it.

I hope links are allowed, if not and the link below is deactivated, message me and I will send you the link. This isn't a commercial link, all the info is free.
www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046739.php
Hi...have just been diagnosed (yesterday) all the Doctor was concerned about was me going on a diet, and gave me NO information at all about diabetes type2!!!!!...and yes, I'm quite over weight, so obviously thought that was the reason I've ended up where I am today....read the link you've posted, and was shocked to find there's a link between gestational diabetes & developing late onset diabetes....I had gestational D with all 3 of my children, and was told DEFINITELY there was no increased chance of my children being diabetic in later life....but it increased my chances!!!!...my children are 26, 23 & 10 yrs old....it's a worry...

Reactions: 2 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
JayneW,
Diets do not work, Ways of Eating work! They are a long term alteration in what/how we eat and are meant to be sustainable for us rather than most diets, which we fall off after a short period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9 people

JayneW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck. I'm newly diagnosed with T2 and I'm low carbing too. I've lost 15lbs in 2 weeks!

Wow!..that's fantastic....it's quite tricky getting used to not having so many carbs?....I'm going to have to look into it a bit more, and look at my food choices if I'm going to change my eating habits long term....well done us!!..lol...

Kyrani Eade

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
A person with diabetes blames themselves, even though they are NOT to blame but they do feel somehow responsible. Once a person understands how they have caused their body to react as to develop diabetes they are on the road to health because you only need to react differently.
It is not diet. Diabetes 2 arises because episodically and in episodes that are close together the liver dumps sugar into the blood stream. Why? I found that it has to do with anger. Anger arises because of injustices and issues about violations. With anger the metabolism is raised a little, not as much as fear, in order to give the person more energy to address the problem. They may need to speak more emphatically for example. The person is angered repeatedly and it is done through a toxic relationship. Someone who wants to gain power over the other to manipulate them presents ideas that are aimed to cause the person to become angry. It is a violation, which means the person gets angry. The person's metabolism goes into higher gear. The body needs to make more energy quickly so the liver puts sugar into the blood at the start. Then the ideas go away. The ideas then arise again but before the body has had a chance to reduce the sugar in the blood so a high level of sugar in the blood develops.
Realize that ideas are not in business for themselves. Someone has to be presenting them, addressing them to you and the only people that can do that is people you know well. Only through close relationship is there a high level of insightfulness. And of course if you eat something as a way of coping that only adds to the problem. The answer is to resolve the issues and not get angry. I don’t mean that you suppress the anger because the body is still going to do the same thing. Find out about the issues by observing the ideas. Write them down and think about them. The issues are often fiction and only suggestions. Knowing that you can dismiss them. It is a good idea to replace them with other ideas that point to the issue solution or that the ideas are just rubbish.
I had developed diabetes and when I addressed the problems that caused me to be angry the diabetes was gone.

Carol-P

I had never heard that before! I'm not saying it isn't true, because that may bring about bad blood sugars, but I'd be interested in anyone else's views on this and whether there is any documentation in this respect. Anyway, very good for you for acknowledging your anger and for dealing with the situation! Well done!

Are there any other known factors for the cause of diabetes? I'm interested in this. I am overweight, and could well beat myself up over this, but I am not going to because enough people can do that already!

As be interested in any findings that people have read up about concerning the causes of diabetes. It does seem to go in family sometimes, well, that's what I think, but I don't have the proof!

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
This may sound really daft, but health wise, T2 is probably the best thing to have happened to me. I've stopped smoking, I'm eating REALLY healthily and for the first time in years I'm in control. I actually feel happy, confident and I've got bags of energy.

Reactions: 8 people

Robocop

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Managers that can't make simple decisions.
I don't believe anger has anything to do with contracting diabetes and moreso its the first i've heard of this. I do believe that diabetes is diagnosed through bad diet, obesity and hereditary. I stand corrected.

Lisbet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think there is a grain of truth here : as a T 1 using CGM, I have seen how strong emotions (of any kind, not anger in my case) cause hormones to be produced and glucagon to be released by the liver. I have seen my blood sugar rise by 4-5mmol in this way on the CGM graph in front of my eyes. This is also the basis of the 'dawn phenomenon ' experienced by many T1s who wake with higher than expected blood sugars due to hormonal activity - this is well understood and documented. I really don't think these small fluctuations cause T 2 though.... It's far more complex than this!

Ray.H

I am new to Diabetes,type 2, and am finding it hard to adjust to the eating side of it. I don't have a weight issue, if its that to anyone, my weight has always been ok. On the contrary am have lost 1st4lb in just over 2 months for no apparent reason, am waiting the results of some tests and am very concerned as to the out come. I seem to have hit a bit od a downside on my health and while trying my best I sort of feel alone with it. I have al the experts advice on diet but has anyone any simple tips or guidelines that might be of help to me. Am I the only person that feels very out of sorts talking to none diabetics about any issues regarding my Diabetes. Ray.