what are you reading? what do you like to read?

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots, bullies,politicians, David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Ian Duncan smith, racist, homophobes, people unwilling to learn, to tolerate, to listen and in turn be listened too. animal abuser's and people who just don't think about what they say and how it can or could affect the people around them.
I'm just curies as the what people are into reading wise:) and any storys behind the storys.

I'm not just talking books, on-line story's as well, audio books and all that Jazz.

I'm currently buried in 'A Madness of Angel' by Kate Griffin. I love it, it's a fantastic take on urban magic and it work's. for a long while i was in a bit of a reading slump, I mainly sticked to short on-line storys but this book, recommended to me on-line by a friend grabbed a hold of me and refused to let me go until I'd finished it. it's part of a series that I have enjoyed and I love re-reading it :)

I love my fantasy/sci-fi/horror books, nothing to icky on the horror front, I'm more into the ones that get into your head and have you scared for days after. I also love my manga/graphic novels/comic books :) I am and always will be a Marvel girl with a few exceptions, Batman being one of them but for me it's x-men all the way. my favourite charter's are Wolverine/Jubilee/Gambit I loved them before the films came out. I was an avid watcher of the cartoon series in the 90's and the comic's were awesome. I was also a HellBlazer fan but Mum put a kibosh on thous when she found out what was in them until i was older.

I love my manga, I'm a blue exorcist/ devil may cry/vampire knight/ Samurai X fan and I also enjoy Black Butler (only the first series, the second is messed up, just dont read it)

I love Terry Pratchett's books there just mad and fun and really witty, I'm a big fan of Commander Vimes and Granny Weatherwax :)

I'm also a big Neil Gainman fan too, I love The Graveyard book, Neverwhere and Ansie Boy. I'm also a Harry Potter fan too, am sad to say we all our in our house. Mum had a rat, she called it Scabbers and he came along, sitting on my shoulder to every midnight opening for the book's and it always surprised people when he moved, they all thought he was fake and yes, we dressed up and we had fun :)

Also Dragon of Pern, it's awesome :)

I like fact books as well and folk lore and mythology. I LOVE books on werewolves and other mythological creature. I'm also into Pagan, Wicca, Buddhism book's so it all kind of ties in together.

I have the usual assortment of art and graphic design books and bento cook books, I have a real thing for bento :)

I also love story books, myths, legends, the standard fairy tales, I dont care I loved'em as a kid and still love them now and of course I love Tolkin 'the Hobbit' was the first book I read. I couldn't read until I was sixteen (no joke there, took years of self teaching and help from Mum to get there) i read it over a summer and was so proud of myself, I enjoyed it and found it hard to put down. it took ages to read each chapter but i got there :)

so thats my blurb, what about you guy's?

Also recommendations, please make them if you like, it's always nice to find a new series to devour :)

Reactions: 3 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Wow ! You really do love books ! What is bento BTW ? My favourite read are biographies. I love to read about the darker/truthful side of historical figures, so not auto- biographies. My best ones so far are Marilyn Monroe, Sam Giancana, Frank Sinatra and J Edgar Hoover. That Hoover guy certainly kept a few skeletons in his closet. I've got a Kindle but I still like the feel of a book in my hand. Love the smell of them lol !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i Don't read :( i can't read lol, i can read the word i just can't keep them in my head long enough to get to the bottom of the page but i loooove audio books, if I'm alone, I'm listening to one, when i drive when I'm in bed, running i go through loads, I'm currently listening to "lee child", "without fail" but i love all kinds from john grisham to stephen king to bill brysons "a brief history of nearly everything" i also love the lord of the rings/hobbit stuff, auto biographies just about everything

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm reading harry potter again at the moment :) they're a favourite!

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm reading 'The Stand' by Stephen King. Third time reading it. I love his books. Also a huge fan of John Connolly (thrillers with a thread of the supernatural which unfolds over the series of books). Well done to you for persisting with learning to read. You clearly have a great passion for it. I love reading. It's the best form of escapism :)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just finished rereading The Woodcutter by Reginald Hill. It is brilliant. While I was reading it I kept getting angry with him because he passed away, so no more of his marvellous books.

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots, bullies,politicians, David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Ian Duncan smith, racist, homophobes, people unwilling to learn, to tolerate, to listen and in turn be listened too. animal abuser's and people who just don't think about what they say and how it can or could affect the people around them.
Wow ! You really do love books ! What is bento BTW ? My favourite read are biographies. I love to read about the darker/truthful side of historical figures, so not auto- biographies. My best ones so far are Marilyn Monroe, Sam Giancana, Frank Sinatra and J Edgar Hoover. That Hoover guy certainly kept a few skeletons in his closet. I've got a Kindle but I still like the feel of a book in my hand. Love the smell of them lol !

Mum says I'm 16 years behind everyone else book wise thats why I read so much, I'm forever trying to catch up. it also doesn't help I have bad memory so I end reading and reading again books I've already read :) I also have a Kindle which I take out and about with me :)

i Don't read :( i can't read lol, i can read the word i just can't keep them in my head long enough to get to the bottom of the page but i loooove audio books, if I'm alone, I'm listening to one, when i drive when I'm in bed, running i go through loads, I'm currently listening to "lee child", "without fail" but i love all kinds from john grisham to stephen king to bill brysons "a brief history of nearly everything" i also love the lord of the rings/hobbit stuff, auto biographies just about everything

I love audio books, I like listening to the them when I want to chill out or get bad eye strain or when I go to sleep, there great. my favorite narrators at Stevan Fry, Tony Robinson, Neil Gainman and Steven Briggs.

I think audio books are fantastic, especially if you have reading issue's. nobody should be deprived of storys, whether factual or fantasy.

I'm also a big fan of storytellers, it's nice and it used to be so common a long time ago, I really think it's something worth preserving, It will be a sad day if they just disappear :(

I'm reading 'The Stand' by Stephen King. Third time reading it. I love his books. Also a huge fan of John Connolly (thrillers with a thread of the supernatural which unfolds over the series of books). Well done to you for persisting with learning to read. You clearly have a great passion for it. I love reading. It's the best form of escapism :)

I actually quite enjoy Kings novels, well the mind twister one's. I quite enjoyed Salem's Lot, The Dark Tower, The Green Mile and The Girl who loved Tom Gordon.

I made the mistake of reading 'It' . I have a pretty fully fledged fear of clowns, cue a month of nightmare's. Mum said it was my own fault, I shouldn't have read it. I didn't think it would be that bad, it was. I should have known better really but I couldn't not know how it ended. it'd a thing, even if the book is AWFUL I read until the end because I have to know how it ends!

I also don't like slamming a book until I've read it. so yes I have read Twilight and we shall leave it at that.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just about anything but do like Autobiography's, hoping to read Sir Alex Ferguson's soon once my lad has stopped reading it.

Reactions: 4 people

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
What is bento BTW ?

Bento when I have the time is AWESOME and so much fun :) it's a good way of balancing out your lunch time food, so you make it up and take with you to work or Uni or school. it's all healthy. you can be as fun and creative as you like and it deals with using leftovers ect. allot of it can be cold food's or hot depending on what you're into :) some people make a real art out of it, you should google it :) here's some examples.

6a00d83451bdb269e200e54f0ba6a08833-800wi.png

cute-bento.jpg

nymple

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm reading something a colleague passed to me after a conversation about us both loving the Game of Thrones books. The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson? Only about 30 pages in so no idea whether it is any good but I think I trust my colleague so should enjoy it. Also just finished reading The Rosie Project and Red Seas over Red Skies by Scott Lynch (It was familiar so possibly already read it once! Oops but I love the main characters)

Also reading Blood Sugar 101 and Run Your Belly Off. Also the Count of Monte Cristo and maybe book 4 of the wheel of time books...

I tend to read different books at different times and places. So a bed book, a bus book, a work lunch book, haha a toilet book and generally a learning book thrown in there sometimes too :)

Yay bookworm!

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I'm a serial bookworm, I read a new book then have to read the whole series. Lately I've read;

The House of night series
Morganville Vampires series
Soul Screamers Series
The Hunger Game series (again)
Mortal Instruments Series - will be sorcing the Dark devices soon as a follow on
The Kitty Werewolf Series
Succubus Series
Harry Potter (again)
Mercy Thompson Series (werewolves)

I also tried the Vampire diaries but by about book 4 that just turned stupid and I gave up.

I keep meaning to re-read the Sookie Stackhouse books to include the last one, but keep getting distracted with a new Series.

Currently I'm loving The Vampire Acadamy Series, can't put them down.

nymple

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a serial bookworm, I read a new book then have to read the whole series. Lately I've read;

The House of night series
Morganville Vampires series
Soul Screamers Series
The Hunger Game series (again)
Mortal Instruments Series - will be sorcing the Dark devices soon as a follow on
The Kitty Werewolf Series
Succubus Series
Harry Potter (again)
Mercy Thompson Series (werewolves)

I also tried the Vampire diaries but by about book 4 that just turned stupid and I gave up.

I keep meaning to re-read the Sookie Stackhouse books to include the last one, but keep getting distracted with a new Series.

Currently I'm loving The Vampire Acadamy Series, can't put them down.
Love the Mercy Thompson books!

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I've just realised, I've read all that and a few more, since June last year!!!! I need to get a life :rolleyes:

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Oh and I've just got hold of the I am Number 4 series to read next.

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
ohhh, I've just gotten into the mortal instruments series thanks to the film, I got the books recently and there on my 'to read' list :)

if you like vampire books try out Vampyrrhic and Vampyrrhic Rites [Simon Clark] it's not a bad read, I picked up a copy of it on a day trip out with my college, not a bad read.

The Hunger Games is one serious I can't get on with it due to it's nature.

The Maze Runner series is good and well worth a look into.

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I've just realised, I've read all that and a few more, since June last year!!!! I need to get a life :rolleyes:

Naaaaaa, stories are stories and they enrich our lives, I'd personally be riding dragons and going on epic quest's than dealing with real life, which explains alot about me :p

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
I work in an independent bookshop and devour books (only low carb ones!!). Best recent reads are "Light Between Oceans" by ML Stedman,
"My Dear I Wanted to Tell You" by Louisa Young and "Rubbernecker" by Belinda Bauer who has just had an event with us and was brilliant!!

Reactions: 5 people

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm just curies as the what people are into reading wise:) and any storys behind the storys.

I'm not just talking books, on-line story's as well, audio books and all that Jazz.

I'm currently buried in 'A Madness of Angel' by Kate Griffin. I love it, it's a fantastic take on urban magic and it work's. for a long while i was in a bit of a reading slump, I mainly sticked to short on-line storys but this book, recommended to me on-line by a friend grabbed a hold of me and refused to let me go until I'd finished it. it's part of a series that I have enjoyed and I love re-reading it :)

I love my fantasy/sci-fi/horror books, nothing to icky on the horror front, I'm more into the ones that get into your head and have you scared for days after. I also love my manga/graphic novels/comic books :) I am and always will be a Marvel girl with a few exceptions, Batman being one of them but for me it's x-men all the way. my favourite charter's are Wolverine/Jubilee/Gambit I loved them before the films came out. I was an avid watcher of the cartoon series in the 90's and the comic's were awesome. I was also a HellBlazer fan but Mum put a kibosh on thous when she found out what was in them until i was older.

I love my manga, I'm a blue exorcist/ devil may cry/vampire knight/ Samurai X fan and I also enjoy Black Butler (only the first series, the second is messed up, just dont read it)

I love Terry Pratchett's books there just mad and fun and really witty, I'm a big fan of Commander Vimes and Granny Weatherwax :)

I'm also a big Neil Gainman fan too, I love The Graveyard book, Neverwhere and Ansie Boy. I'm also a Harry Potter fan too, am sad to say we all our in our house. Mum had a rat, she called it Scabbers and he came along, sitting on my shoulder to every midnight opening for the book's and it always surprised people when he moved, they all thought he was fake and yes, we dressed up and we had fun :)

Also Dragon of Pern, it's awesome :)

I like fact books as well and folk lore and mythology. I LOVE books on werewolves and other mythological creature. I'm also into Pagan, Wicca, Buddhism book's so it all kind of ties in together.

I have the usual assortment of art and graphic design books and bento cook books, I have a real thing for bento :)

I also love story books, myths, legends, the standard fairy tales, I dont care I loved'em as a kid and still love them now and of course I love Tolkin 'the Hobbit' was the first book I read. I couldn't read until I was sixteen (no joke there, took years of self teaching and help from Mum to get there) i read it over a summer and was so proud of myself, I enjoyed it and found it hard to put down. it took ages to read each chapter but i got there :)

so thats my blurb, what about you guy's?

Also recommendations, please make them if you like, it's always nice to find a new series to devour :)
I work in an independent bookshop and devour books (only low carb ones!!). Best recent reads are "Light Between Oceans" by ML Stedman,
"My Dear I Wanted to Tell You" by Louisa Young and "Rubbernecker" by Belinda Bauer who has just had an event with us and was brilliant!!

I DEVOUR books, mostly light romances on my Kindle. Kindle is now 18 months old and has 650+ titles on it. there are some textbooks, [ Diabetes friendly ones and some craft books.
Hana

Reactions: 5 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How embarrassing is it that my ten year old son and I read the same books. Things like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings!