Which bg meter?

mj14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same unfortunately doctors said I didn't need one - promptly went and and got my own and have to say best thing I have purchased..... Only diagnosed 3-4 wks ago but already learning which foods send me soaring and which r ok! My advice get to chemist and purchase one! X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/promotions/bayer-meters.html?ref=gg&gclid=CJ3n4qLM0LwCFWfLtAodpS0AIQ

I went on here but when the drop down box gave me multiple selections I became confused! I've recently been diagnosed type 2 but wasn't given a meter to test my levels etc!

You are unlikely to be given a meterr by your healthcare people. Sometimees the supplier companies will give some, but they usually go to T1s and insulin users. However it's worth contacting the suppliers and asking. Since you are also not likely to be given a prescription for strips, you might become one of their regular customers. I get my strips from Abbott diabetes Care, who give a lifetime guarantee on their meters. [I have the Frestyle Lite] they keep all their customers on a database, so dealing with them is simplicity itself and strips are much cheaper direct from Abbott than at a retail pharmacy. You'll find most HCPs [Healthcare Professionals] Will try to tell you there's no advantage to monitoring your own levels. this is a money saing trick. Obviously you need test equipment to learn which foods affect you most and by how much.
Incidentally, if you get put onto insulin, they really SHOULD provide test equipment. Sometimes, even then, they try not to. Very often we have to fight for our care. that means you have to learn FAST what you need.
Hana

mj14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trouble is every time I have tried to get one free I fill in all info and comes up with 'sorry, only give for free to type 1' that's why I got one myself.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Trouble is every time I have tried to get one free I fill in all info and comes up with 'sorry, only give for free to type 1' that's why I got one myself.

Well, if it were me, I'd click T1 then ! Bit naughty but hey ho ! They make enough money on the test strips ! Your choice :)

bullseye58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, rain,
Why buy one when most companies give them away for free ?

The site I was on was offering one for free I just needed to know which one because there are too many to choose from! I never thought it would be so difficult to get an answer! Hence me putting a link up for the website I was referring to!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
The site I was on was offering one for free I just needed to know which one because there are too many to choose from! I never thought it would be so difficult to get an answer! Hence me putting a link up for the website I was referring to!
Ok, so, just pick one that takes your fancy ? I would go for the one that offers the cheapest strips.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
If you are rich then any will do the job but SD Codefree is the cheapest to run as the strips are one third the price of others. So although you buy the meter in the first place long term it more than pays for itself.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking at your link, I think you are asking about the area that says "Choose your current meter", with lots of options in there? If this is the case, they want to know which meter you are currently using. On the drop down menu, at the very bottom, there is an option of "This is my first meter".

That site is promoting the Bayer Contour XT meter, and that is what they will send you, if your application meets their criteria.

Apologies if I misunderstood your request.

Reactions: 3 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I found this too - I "wasn't eligible" ... :( Wish I'd joined here first now - I did actually wonder about "cheating" in my replies but chickened out! However I found that if I searched around a bit (I love eBay & Amazon) I could get a meter fairly cheap - it's the strips that are the major expense but as far as I'm concerned for the information I'm gaining by testing they're really worth the money. My nurse said they don't give them out to Type 2s, but I will also ask my doctor when I see him next.

Robbity

Julie Jazz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been really lucky. When I had my first appointment wth the Diabetic Nurse she didn't mention a monitor so I asked if I should have one. Out of the cupboard came a brand new starter kit and she showed me how to use it. I have the Freestyle Lite. I know that you can get the strips and lancets from Abbott (manufacturer) more cheaply than from the chemist, but I thought I would check with my surgery to see if I could get them there. Straight away I was told that they could be added to me repeat prescripton.

RESULT!!!
Julie

Reactions: 2 people

bullseye58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, rain,
I have been really lucky. When I had my first appointment wth the Diabetic Nurse she didn't mention a monitor so I asked if I should have one. Out of the cupboard came a brand new starter kit and she showed me how to use it. I have the Freestyle Lite. I know that you can get the strips and lancets from Abbott (manufacturer) more cheaply than from the chemist, but I thought I would check with my surgery to see if I could get them there. Straight away I was told that they could be added to me repeat prescripton.

RESULT!!!
Julie
Mm food for thought thanks.

Cleggsta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
When I was admitted to hospital after going down hill with T1 after treatment and diagnosis I was visited by a Diabetes nurse who gave me a meter strips and all the kit and went through it all, how to use etc.
She gave me enough strips for a week , after that I went to my health centre and asked for a prescription Insulin strips needles etc.
Long story short I now have a prescription free certificate for all my meds and don't have to pay for anything Diabetes related or anything else.