New tester, big difference in readings

tom79

Hi,

I was using an Optium Xceed tester, I have been given by my doctor a new tester which is a GlucoRx Nexus.

I have a few old test strips left and I thought I would compare the results.

Using same drop of blood I got the following results:

My old Optium Xceed = 11
My new GlucoRx Nexus = 15.5

Massive difference isnt it!

I used the test fluid on the new kit and it is within the range, I dont understand why or how they can be so different?

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
My older meter reads a lot lower too... But I use the Nexus as the one to follow.
The manufacturer will tell you what the margin of error is ... it's usually about 20%

I keep the older one as a back up and only for use when I have those relative strips

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Your reading of 11 could have actually been anything between 8.9 and 13.2 ( 20% tolerance ). Your 15.5 could be between 12.4 and 18.6 ! Scary eh ! The higher the numbers, the more they can vary.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Last edited by a moderator:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a One Touch and a more recent Mylife Pura. They show quite different readings e.g. when one said 4.1 the other said 5.4. I tested both with new control solution and both were within spec. Each meter appears to have an 15% error rate based on the strips info, so yes, you have to expect quite large differences between meters and shouldn't keep mix 'n matching between them.

Ria

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too was given the Gluxorx nexus. The results only give an indication of your BG level as stated above all meters have a tolerance of 15-20℅. I use the app 'on track' to record my results to give me an hba1c estimate. The 2 blood tests I had since using on track were both close to the estimated hba1c. (Estimated 40,42. Actual results 41 and 42). So my meter appears to be not too far off.

tom79

20%!! thats massive.

but i guess when you get down to lower levels it isnt so bad, i did another test this morning with both, my new one was 12, my old was 9.8 so within 20% but opposite ends of the scale but it always tests within the range on the test solution so...

I guess it is just change isnt it.

tom79

Your reading of 11 could have actually been anything between 8.9 and 13.2 ( 20% tolerance ). Your 15.5 could be between 12.4 and 18.6 ! Scary eh ! The higher the numbers, the more they can vary.

yes very scary! dont they do a more accurate one? even if i have to buy it?

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
Personally I think the GlucoRX Nexus is one of the best. My doctor uses it.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
most monitors differ , even two of the same make:confused: i just picked my monitor and stuck with it, i use one touch verio iq

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
yes very scary! dont they do a more accurate one? even if i have to buy it?
None are totally accurate. They all have tolerances. You only get these huge variations with high numbers really. When in or near target range, the readings become more accurate and are certainly good enough for us. Look for trends rather than individual readings.

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too was given the Gluxorx nexus. The results only give an indication of your BG level as stated above all meters have a tolerance of 15-20℅. I use the app 'on track' to record my results to give me an hba1c estimate. The 2 blood tests I had since using on track were both close to the estimated hba1c. (Estimated 40,42. Actual results 41 and 42). So my meter appears to be not too far off.

Sorry to go off-topic, but just down loaded the on track app and it's exactly what I've been looking for. Cheers for that!

On topic, my DSN said never to use different meters as you'll always get different results, they only give an indication as to what your BS is doing so best to pick one and stick with it.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I had a discussion with Sanofi about the tolerances they work too (which are set at regulatory level), he assured me the tolerance is set at a level whereby any action you might taken would not be altered by a reading within the tolerance range. He also told be the tolerances are changing, to bring them down. If only I could recall; it's either 10% or 15%. (Sorry)

Allegedly, this is causing some manufacturers a bit of a headache.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Allowances for measurements in home blood test lits are way too large.

If we had the same tolerances at petrol pumps we'd all be demonstating on tbe motirways and refinerys.

You cannot do comparisons between twi meters or pumps....All it will do is wind you up...

They are purely a guidance... If you use them as guidance only you will feel less anxious and wound up.