A whole night of Hypo's

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
So I'm soaked in sweat, been vomiting, have not slept since 1:30am, and only just eased by BM to over 3.9, crashed down to my lowest ever, below 1.2 as it wouldn't register on my meeter. Felt like I was in a golden mist and everything was in extreme slow motion and I was floating, don't know how I managed to test. Thank God for wallpaper paste (GlucoGel). What a horrible night, Think I have a bug or soemthing, but was under the impression illness raised BM. Still what a f&*king night :-(

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Sounds terrible, glad you've managed to deal with it. Bear in mind that the next 24hrs after a hypo may vary wildly again. Keep testing. You got any idea why it happened ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spoke to a pal who is also T1. I went to the Gym a couple of days ago, first time I have done any serious exercise since before I was diagnosed. He seems pretty certain that a heavy workout after a break can have a delayed action.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
He's right. Cardio generally lowers BG and you need to either reduce insulin or take a snack.

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just goes to show exercise isn't always good for you :p

Seriously though, listen to mo1905 - keep testing today, your bg might be all over the place for the most part. Hopefully you'll manage to get good readings before bed tonight.

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Being ill generally gives high readings, but as I'm sure you've realised everyone is different. I nearly always go low when ill, to the extent of ending up in intensive care in Turkey in a diabetic coma for 3 days!! I've learned not to take 'usually' for granted.

Dzialo

I go to the gym so what I do is I check my sugar before I start and if it's normal (not high) than I eat something small like a chocolate or cookies because when you finish your exercises will bring it back down the the normal levels

Hope I helped :)

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
Hahahaha I've never had a workout destroy me like that. Are you sure you don't have any symptoms of a flu virus or food poisoning instead?

Reactions: 2 people

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Oh no, glad your ok,
keep an eye on your bloods for a couple of days:)

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I go to the gym so what I do is I check my sugar before I start and if it's normal (not high) than I eat something small like a chocolate or cookies because when you finish your exercises will bring it back down the the normal levels

Hope I helped :)

Quite possibly. I was vomiting alot (stopped now, but still have ab pains).

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Spoke to a pal who is also T1. I went to the Gym a couple of days ago, first time I have done any serious exercise since before I was diagnosed. He seems pretty certain that a heavy workout after a break can have a delayed action.

They say it can effect bg levels up to 24 hours after exercising but would be surprised if it had an effect 2 days later, but you never know.......

Is there any chance that you might have mistakenly taken your basal insulin twice? I did this once and had a hell of a time keeping my bg levels up.

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Is there any chance that you might have mistakenly taken your basal insulin twice? I did this once and had a hell of a time keeping my bg levels up.

Lol, trust me, I've done that one before and I REALLY knew about it! :)

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So do you think that was the cause Tom :)
I would say a combination of exercise and and a wee stomach bug. I'll drive myself mad If I think about it too much. Just fancied a rant about it. Severe hypo's are particularly scary for me as I live alone :-(

A

AnnieC

I did read in the press a little while ago that vigorous excercise might not be good for diabetics that things like walking swimming and cycling could be better

Delphinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Most food.
Illness sometimes dips my levels, a couple of weeks ago I was struggling to keep them up when I had the cold. Yet with other illnesses, it's been a horror to keep them down. Just don't exercise with BG over 13mmol, it bumps your sugar up rather than lower it. Hope you're feeling better soon, I live alone too so really bad hypoing in the night is always a terrifying prospect.

kimkennedy89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being unwell & high blood sugars!
This sounds awful! I hope you're feeling better and never go through an episode like that again x