Being prescribed statins as a preventative measure?

diddly425

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been a Type 1 diabetic for 42 years. My condition is very well controlled but following a recent cholesterol screening with a result of 4.8 by GP has suggested I begin taking Simvastatin as a preventative measure. I am reluctant to take any unneccessary medication.......Any thoughts or similar experiences ??

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been a Type 1 diabetic for 42 years. My condition is very well controlled but following a recent cholesterol screening with a result of 4.8 by GP has suggested I begin taking Simvastatin as a preventative measure. I am reluctant to take any unneccessary medication.......Any thoughts or similar experiences ??
I wouldn't touch them with a long stick. I would tell that Dr to stick the statins where the sun does not shine.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Statins were suggested to me when my own cholesterol went above 4, my consultant thought like yours that they would act as a preventative measure, however my gp disagreed and said as I had very good cholesterol levels and had recently undergone tests for angina that came back all clear it would be of no interest to myself to take them at that present time, when I went back to see my consultant my cholesterol had dropped to below 4 and we agreed to review things at a later date.

All that was 3 years ago and my cholesterol is still under 4 and statins have not been mentioned since, however if my cholesterol levels did start to climb I would certainly consider taking a statin, both my mother and brother took statins and my brothers cholesterol reduced from 9 down to 3,

C

catherinecherub

There is no consensus of opinion regarding statins. Some forum members take them with no side effects, some have stopped taking them because of the side effects, some are undecided and some people are anti statins.
If you search on this forum, top right, for statins you will read a myriad of posts.

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
I have been a Type 1 diabetic for 42 years. My condition is very well controlled but following a recent cholesterol screening with a result of 4.8 by GP has suggested I begin taking Simvastatin as a preventative measure. I am reluctant to take any unnecessary medication.......Any thoughts or similar experiences ??
That is a reading well within normal guidelines. Ideally, under 5. Mine's 8.2 and that's why I've reluctantly agreed to be put back on them. There's no way I'd take them with that reading. What's going on GP's? It's hard not to believe all the conspiracy stories about statins.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Catherine is correct, the statin jury is still out. I was put on statins as a preventitive measure as over 40 but my cholesterol was fine. I stopped taking them of my own choice. However, if my levels rose and I actually needed them I would take them as I was fortunate enough not to suffer any major side effects apart from some loss of leg strength. Whatever you decide, research it yourself and discuss with your doc.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There is no point at all in having statins with a level of 4.8 unless you fall into the high risk category e.g. you have a family history of heart disease.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you should all take your statins as recommended by the doctor because if you all refuse to take statins my shares in Big Pharma might lose their value .:D

Reactions: 7 people

diddly425

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is no point at all in having statins with a level of 4.8 unless you fall into the high risk category e.g. you have a family history of heart disease.
No....no history of heart disease. I am only 52 and appreciate I have been diabetic for a long time.....but I'm confused !! lol

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
I can't really comment on what is best for you. Type 1 may benefit.
They were prescribed for me I read the info had a look at opinions online and ditched them
But it is up to each individual to make their own minds up.

EdwardE

On insulin over 40 years, few years ago cholesterol 3.8 still prescribed statins.
Was told the aim is to keep the readings as low as possible. Same with BP, so
the drugs companies are making a nice earner out of over prescribing
with backhanders to NHS BigWigs. No mention of lifestyle, exercise or diet.

mpe

Even then they only appear to be of use to men between 40 and 60 who have CVD.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No....no history of heart disease. I am only 52 and appreciate I have been diabetic for a long time.....but I'm confused !! lol

The choice is entirely yours to make whether you take statins or not, these are the recommended target cholesterol levels that people with diabetes should be aiming for:

• Your total cholesterol level should be below 4.0mmol/l.
  • LDL levels should be less than 2.0mmol/l.
  • HDL levels should be 1.0mmol/l or above in men and 1.2mmol/l or above in women.
  • Triglyceride levels should be 1.7mmol/l or less.

Merluza

Possible side effects - fatigue or general lassitude, feeling of slowing down in thought processes, shambling walk, diminished reflexes, associated clumsiness, pins and needles in both arms, shooting pains in legs. You may not experience any of these, I experienced them all and quit the wretched things before they did serious damage and probably cost me my job. My combined cholesterol count is 5.4 and I don't consider it to be high enough to suffer the side effects. If it gets above 8 as with lunalinda I might consider it. Your cholesterol level is fine, well within normal (that's for normal people of course not abnormal ones like us diabetics). Research seems to show a variation in the level of production and need for cholesterol between individuals and the average is not necessarily useful. I wouldn't want to run the risk of any of the side effects, even if it's only fatigue, if I were you. Look at your diet if needs be and reduce any saturated fats.

Reactions: 2 people