Coconut oil

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Thank you all, your replies are really helpful as a relatively newbie I am always learning new things and this site is wonderful for getting advice and insight, new idea's etc.

mistyweather

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a dollop of unrefined coconut oil in my Oats So Simple lin he mornings. Going to have to give this up soon as I want to start the LCHF diet as soon as I come back from my holiday in a couple of weeks. Will have to find another way of having my daily dose. Another great use, sometimes for dinner I have peppers, red onions, courgette and carrot roasted with the stuff and a bit of balsamic. Love this and it doesn't seem to harm my sugars either

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
I haven't missed a day of using coconut oil since I discovered that it helps to keep my GI tract in good working order, so we're talking about 1 and 1/2 years. Now I also use it as a source of fat to lower my BG. I usually have it 1:1 ratio with teaspoons of ground flax, or, sometimes in a warm drink, coffee, tea, etc.

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
....even my local Tesco now carry a good stock of Virgin coconut oil!
That's good to know as I've just got some via Amazon - if I get it from Tesco instead it comes out of housekeeping money and not out of my own pocket! :joyful:

Robbity

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
That's good to know as I've just got some via Amazon - if I get it from Tesco instead it comes out of housekeeping money and not out of my own pocket! :joyful:

Robbity
:hilarious: "Every little helps" :cool:

mistyweather

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Beachbag, do you use refined or unrefined. I have always used unrefined but I now see there is one called KTC but it is refined but a whole load cheaper than the one I have been getting. In your opinion is there much difference?

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello

Just seen your post.
Have a look at link Beachbag gave above - it says:
"If you want to enjoy the immense health benefits of coconut oil, then make sure to choose organic, virgin coconut oil… NOT the refined stuff."
I guess that's why it's so expensive

Jane

Reactions: 5 people

mistyweather

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, up until now, that is what I have done. Also, I have a dental appointment at the end of the week, I don't fancy it much but am going to try some "oil pulling" with it for a few days to see how I go.

Reactions: 5 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
@mistyweather
:) Sorry, have been busy today so just got here!
Jane has already pointed you in the right direction....I know unrefined organic is a LOT more expensive, £6 per 293ml for Groovy Food Company which is stocked in Tesco but it's the real stuff. Refined coconut oil has been bleached and deodorised and is pretty awful stuff..
http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/refined-coconut-oil.html :nailbiting:
Good luck with the oil pulling...a word of warning...DON'T spit it down the sink, it will solidify and clog the drain! Spit into a tissue.
Rather you than me at the dentist! ;)

mistyweather

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, I did get the Tesco one, once. Have you tried Coconoil? I found this on ebay. 460g plastic tub. Price ranges but can be bought 3 for £18 if you look carefully. This is with p & p too.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
As a coconut oil lover, yes eating, in coffee and cooking (especially high temps) I did a test of some UK brands and I like a good creamy taste, have a look, some of them like Groovy is not very tasty - http://lowcarbhealthyfat.com/2013/07/31/more-coconut-oil/
For cold dishes like salads I use virgin olive oil and frying butter (grass-fed) or coconut oil. Stay away from those omega-6 rich and chemically produced vegetarian oils.

Reactions: 3 people