Low Fat vs Zero Fat

jamesda123

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice about fat, which I know slows the digestion, and so in that sense is better for blood sugar control. However, too much fat is obviously not good either.

I was wondering specifically though about a yogurt. Would a low fat yogurt (e.g. 2% fat) actually be better for me than a zero fat yogurt? Assuming both had a similar amount of carbs and sugar in, then surely the yogurt with the bit of fat in it would be absorbed more slowly, and so be better for the blood sugar?

My cholesterol was a little high when diagnosed, but is fine now with statins, and I'm actually considered slightly underweight, so my challenge is not to lose any more weight whilst eating the right sort of diet.

Thanks for any advice

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, welcome, why do you think fat is bad at all? because you've been told it is? there is a growing understanding amongst clever folks that fat isn't the monster its been made out to be

Reactions: 8 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say that the only yoghurt to have would be a full fat one. My cholesterol went down when I started eating low carb high fat. Carbs are the culprits, fat is fine.

Reactions: 6 people

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome, I used to eat 0% fat yoghurts, was on a low carb diet and was losing too much weight, so I switched to full fat yoghurts which I find more filling and has stabilised my weight. I have been on statins for a number of years (probably due to my awful diet before being diagnosed with T2 diabetes), but some members say that following a LCHF diet has actually reduced their cholestrol, so I am hoping to come off statins in the near future.

Hope this helps

Marilyn

Reactions: 4 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've posted this video before, but this seems like a pretty good place to post it again. Fat is not the enemy!

jamesda123

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks very much for your comments and advice... I think I may switch to the slightly higher fat ones to help me get those extra calories I need. That's all been very useful.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When discussing fat content, yogurts don't spring to my mind. I baulk at full fat cream cheese which is something like 4 times higher than thick creamy yoghurts. Also, if you make a really rich cheese cake, you eat more than a single pot of yogurt and it is quite easy to consume the equivalent of the fat content of 8 pots of yoghurt.

Reactions: 2 people

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
72 studies of the link between saturated fat and heart diseases, came to the conclusion that there is no link (or at least no scientific evidence of any link):
Researchers pooled the results of 72 studies that had looked at the link between fatty acids and coronary disease (including heart attack, coronary heart disease and angina).

They found no significant evidence that saturated fats increase the risk of heart disease and no significant evidence that omega-6 and omega-3 polyunsaturated fats protect the heart.

There is no evidence that saturated fat leads to heart disease. There never was any evidence that saturated fat leads to heart disease. If I were you I'd go for the "full fat yoghurt", whole foods are always better than "low-fat" frakenfoods.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/03March/Pages/Saturated-fats-and-heart-disease-link-unproven.aspx

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am 62 and when I was younger we alway had toast and dripping on Sunday from the beef we had for lunch, everything was cooked in lard, ate butter, full cream milk etc, etc., It certainly makes you wonder why there is more heart disease and diabetes today than there was in those days. My neighbour still cooks with lard and eats loads of cheese and likes a beer in the evening whilst watching television, she will be 90 this year and still grows all her own vegetables and digs up potatoes she is absolutely amazing. I hope I am that fit when I'm 90:playful:

Reactions: 9 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 62 and when I was younger we alway had toast and dripping on Sunday from the beef we had for lunch, everything was cooked in lard, ate butter, full cream milk etc, etc., It certainly makes you wonder why there is more heart disease and diabetes today than there was in those days. My neighbour still cooks with lard and eats loads of cheese and likes a beer in the evening whilst watching television, she will be 90 this year and still grows all her own vegetables and digs up potatoes she is absolutely amazing. I hope I am that fit when I'm 90:playful:
Can I also take a wild guess and say that she's probably not been on half a dozen different medications for most of her adult life either?

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Indy, your absolutely right, the only meds she is on is paracetamol for back pain and Adcal D3 for bones, but she doesn't take statins or high blood pressure medication, asprin or anything else, she is a fit as a fiddle bless her.

Reactions: 5 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advice about fat, which I know slows the digestion, and so in that sense is better for blood sugar control. However, too much fat is obviously not good either.

I was wondering specifically though about a yogurt. Would a low fat yogurt (e.g. 2% fat) actually be better for me than a zero fat yogurt? Assuming both had a similar amount of carbs and sugar in, then surely the yogurt with the bit of fat in it would be absorbed more slowly, and so be better for the blood sugar?

My cholesterol was a little high when diagnosed, but is fine now with statins, and I'm actually considered slightly underweight, so my challenge is not to lose any more weight whilst eating the right sort of diet.

Thanks for any advice
I would ditch your low fat/zero yogurts ASAP. Have you seen how much sugar is in them!!!!!!! If you're eating low fat then switch plain and mix in some crushed berries. Blueberries work well. Check that plain yoghurt doesn't contain sugar first! I know fruit contains fructose but still better than low fat fruit yoghurt! I know it's a pain (I love fruit flavoured yoghurt too but the sugar in them is off the scale of bad for you!)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have seen the effects of "no fat" on a neighbour... He still had stents put in and was grey in his body and face. He was basically killing himself...

I did not appreciate until recently that I didnt have enough fat. Purely because I love veg n salad and was using semi skimmed milk. I now have ful fat everything including milk and have 2 single cream coffees when getting up in the mornings. Before I did this this I had my cholesterols taken so will be intersted what happens to them in next few months.

I certainly havent bought low fat anything because of the high carb values but fully realise now the need to have more fat.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

I don't do high fats , but that is what works for me, I know others have high fat and that works for individuals...which is great...
So many diet choices so many different health issues we all have to cope with....think we all do well whatever we try....as we are all trying to make a change for the better....

Reactions: 5 people

sagarg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello.
I guess you need to have yogurt it is a best alternative for sugar or else you can have honey but it should be natural. For digestion purpose you can have cucumber & its enzymes is huge source of vitamin A.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have seen the effects of "no fat" on a neighbour... He still had stents put in and was grey in his body and face. He was basically killing himself...

I did not appreciate until recently that I didnt have enough fat. Purely because I love veg n salad and was using semi skimmed milk. I now have ful fat everything including milk and have 2 single cream coffees when getting up in the mornings. Before I did this this I had my cholesterols taken so will be intersted what happens to them in next few months.

I certainly havent bought low fat anything because of the high carb values but fully realise now the need to have more fat.

I would be very interested in hearing if there was any change in your lipid profile

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My triglycerides were so low they were out of range. My good was so high it was out of range. My bad was just tipping in higher range. The trigsand good both had exclamation marks next to them on my tests.

I will also be waiting to see what happens too. It can't be possible to get lower on my trigs.. I want to get them up.. So heres to my 2nd cream coffee of the morning!!

Reactions: 4 people