'diabetic breakfast' on Eurostar

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
If you're ever flying on British Airways (or any other big airline), if you order a diabetic meal you can never be upgraded to a higher class (because they only load one meal per diabetic, and the meals change as you move up the plane).

desidiabulum

If you're ever flying on British Airways (or any other big airline), if you order a diabetic meal you can never be upgraded to a higher class (because they only load one meal per diabetic, and the meals change as you move up the plane).
So best just to book business class at the outset then...;)

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's just getting you into practice for the many French hotels where you won't get much more than croissants and jam for breakfast. (if you go to the motels then that changes to baguette and jam)

desidiabulum

It's just getting you into practice for the many French hotels where you won't get much more than croissants and jam for breakfast. (if you go to the motels then that changes to baguette and jam)
I meant to ask you, Phoenix, why are French hotels so diabetic unfriendly? What do French non-insulin-using diabetics do for breakfast? I had the ultimate Café de la Paix buffet breakfast when I was last in Paris (special occasion), but even then they didn't have berries

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think that French people eat that much for breakfast. My farmer neighbours who work hard physically, 'traditionally' have just a coffee and a bit of bread early, they have souper (soup) at about 10 and a proper lunch at midday.
Others just eat bread or croissant dipped in coffee or chocolate but again a full meal at noon. I suppose hotels cater for that. I've had yoghurts and occasionally some of them that cater for the Dutch and may include cold meats and cheese. They charge a fortune for it though. Many people just buy a croissant in a boulangerie and have it with a coffee in local bar.

I can get away with French breakfasts on walking holidays. In gites I've also had a wider variety of breakfasts. I've had the croissant variety but also things like crepes , cheeses and even freshly cooked piperade (scrambled eggs with peppers and ham).
When I'm travelling by car, we stay in cheap motels. I take my own weighed oatmeal and some berries . Insulin or not I'd prefer not to start the day with refined bread and jam when I'm going to be sitting in a car all day.

The breakfasts are even worse in the hospital. The dietitian has a big input into lunch and dinner (very much plate method with half veg, 1/4 starch and 1/4protein, it's on the whole good quality ) She has none over breakfast They serve those horrible rusk like biscottes with coffee. Because I ate porridge pre diabetes, she got my OH to bring in some oatmeal, arranged for me to use the microwave and got a pot of fruit compote provided but I was the exception.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On flights etc I've learned to ask for a low carb meal rather than a diabetic meal. If they go blank I just get the meat or fish option and pick things out.

Yes it used to be that being a diabetic in a French (or Spanish or Italian) hotel was as much fun as being a vegetarian in a German (or Swiss or Austrian or East European) hotel. Now there is a new chain of budget hotels in France with a really good buffet and (high quality) ready meal system where you can eat really well. I think they are called Stylehotel or something? Stayed in them a few times and I loved it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
When we as a family go abroad we always go all-inclusive, generally the meals are of a hot buffet style so if you do low-carb there's always a choice to pick & choose..

Mothership

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
dog mess anywhere
We are flying to Amsterdam with BA in June and travelling cattle class so don't think I even get a choice

Gardengnome

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
going to a gym
OMG that is truly unbelievable. I'm only a prediabetic and working hard at not progressing further,but even I know that if a diabetic followed that sort of diet they would be in serious trouble. Makes you wonder who the idiots are that dream these menus up!

LizG

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
I live in france and have a a 10yr old son who was diagnosed type1 here 2 years ago. I have had a different experience in hospitals than Pheonix. Breakfasts have been pretty much a la carte the hospital dietician offered fruit, cereal or pastries. It was all really lovely and aimed towards promoting healthy eating.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
@Mothership. You'll probably get the obligatory pack of bird seed along with a very poor (warm) drink, if you're lucky

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

LizG

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
And I agree that cafés bars etc do tend to offer high carb based breakfasts, but you can always take in your own fruit ( poss not eggs and bacon!) and order a coffee.