Rolling my eyes

Twinks

Hi every1,
Since iv been diagnosed (just over a year ago) my mood is low compared to what it used to be, i think part of this is having people constantly asking 'should you eat that' 'are u ok' 'whats your BG's' i find ma self being really snappy with them and if i come across some one who doesn't know i have diabetes i dread them knowing because of the million questions that come after, i constantly find myself thinking that for one day i would love to not have diabetes and eat lots of cake and to shut every1 out just wondering how over people cope with these situations nd the stupid things people ask or presume even though they think their being really clever?? As well as how do you cope with the down days??

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Moodiness comes along with diabetes. Some to a greater degree and some to a lesser degree. It is something that many people have to manage. A couple of days this week I could have killed (not really) but my mood was so, so dark that that is just how it felt. I am feeling fine now and know that it will occur again. Not,much that I can do about it. It just is and something like the whole process that needs to be managed. Successfully I hope.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

Reactions: 3 people

Twinks

I feel bad wen i du snap but its like a monster inside me being set free, i used to be up for a laugh nd a good night but now i feel like diabetes rules me and iv turned into a recluse not wanting people to feel like they have to keep an eye on me all the time

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
They do it because they care... And because they aren't really educated in diabetes..

My mum for 30 years when seeing me test asked only.. Are you high or low?.... Finally I spoke up and told her the greatest majority of my readings were normal and she had to stop asking!!! She has stopped, but I should have spoke up earlier-lol!!

As people see you manage they will get used to it. Or it is a case of sitting down with people when in a good mood and explaining to them that you appreciate their concern, but would like them to see you as you before they see the diabetes and of course tell them you have to manage yourself... When they go home etc they forget but you live with it, so when they see you or talk or txt or email tell them that if you want to talk about your diabetes you will raise the subject, but if you don't they aren't to ask....

People are only concerned. Yes, I can totally feel for you... My friends have all been around me now for a long time and I am much older than you, so they don't ask or talk unless I do.

People really don't realise they are irritating unless you can tell them nicely.....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Down days about D and wanting a day off from it all... So many people here have wished that, you're not only one...

My way has always been to try and keep busy and occupied...and except my mum (not let people think that D is bad and affects me.. Proving that I can do more than a mon diabetic with fewer sick days etc...

I went anal on analysing my diabetes, that got me down without realising it...so now again I have re educated my brain to think I'm in control and I can relax and laugh and enjoy some fun....

If comments do make you cheesed off, tell people, (avoiding being snappy!!)-raise the subject 1st, then you have the upper hand. If you tell people you want have 30 years of irritation that I put up with from my dear mum that only cared and didn't realise...

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Twinks,

In some respects it is nice to hear that people are looking out for you. Assuming they know what a high or low BG is and what it means to you.
The "should you be eating that?" brigade still bug me even today but I have learned to treat it as a teaching experience.

The way I see it the more people that are fool enough to stay still long enough for me to lecture them about everything to do with this condition the better. When I do get the "should you be eating that?" I often start by stating that "I can eat anything I want, as long as I know exactly what I am eating, so that I can balance the books with the insulin" This invariably leads to more questions or the "my nan had diabetes and she couldn't have sugar" or some such.. well times have moved on and I am not your nan.

Now with all my friends and family they don't say much (I think they fear the next science lecture) and only raise the question of my BG levels if I am behaving oddly such that they think I am having a hypo.

Education is the key. We need to educate ourselves so that we can then educate all the people around us and get rid of all the old myths and the constant misinformation that the media keep spouting. Life gets much easier at that point.

All the best

/A

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Twinks...
You are definitely not alone...

30 years ago without the internet, that was really lonely.. But with this forum you get good friends, either virtually or sometimes in person from meeting here...some really good people...we prefer rants here to falling out with friends n family!!!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
give them something they can understand, tell them you are on a diabetic atkins diet or whatever is trending at the moment and whatever food it is is allowed. because everyone knows that if it's a diet, it's gospel ;)
for people who don't know you're diabetic on LCHF and ask when you put 1/2 lb of butter on your 2" thick steak, drop the diabetic and just say atkins diet

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi every1,
Since iv been diagnosed (just over a year ago) my mood is low compared to what it used to be, i think part of this is having people constantly asking 'should you eat that' 'are u ok' 'whats your BG's' i find ma self being really snappy with them and if i come across some one who doesn't know i have diabetes i dread them knowing because of the million questions that come after, i constantly find myself thinking that for one day i would love to not have diabetes and eat lots of cake and to shut every1 out just wondering how over people cope with these situations nd the stupid things people ask or presume even though they think their being really clever?? As well as how do you cope with the down days??

Twinks, I think it's nice that people care enough about you to ask how you are, they'll come a time when they'll stop and you'll wish they did ask you occasionally.

As for the down days, you have to take the good with bad as that is life, I always say the very first year of being diagnosed with diabetes is by far the worst, there's so much to take in and learn but things do get easier in time, just persevere and keep smiling :)

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What everybody else has already said.:) People do ask,nag or whatever because they care, and it's good that someone actually gives a ****, even if the constant concern bugs the hell out of you :mad:

For me, possibly the most irritating thing is when for whatever reason I am righteously p*****ed off, and the response is "are your bloods low?" ;)

Yup, diabetes affects your mood, any long term condition affects mood, hell, being human affects mood :D

Be good to yourself.

Signy

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me.. I have always put myself in the position of the "chaperone" to counteract the baloney..
For instance. Back in the 80's when I got my first car, I always became the designated driver.. (An excuse not to drink.) my mates would get up to all sorts of antics & I was the "voice of reason" by default.. When I was in a safe position where I could drink I never got the "are you allowed" stuff...

In fairness I always found the people around me more emotionally explosive than me...

For me, possibly the most irritating thing is when for whatever reason I am righteously p*****ed off, and the response is "are your bloods low?" ;)

Heathenlass,
I had this girlfriend once.. (Well the relationship was more like a physiological thriller.)
She was a habitual drug user.. Needless to say it was a battle of wits trying to stop her doing stuff detrimental to her health.. Anyways, she used to "smoke screen" a debate by using the old "your bloods are low, go & eat something."
Clever, thought I, where did she get this inside knowledge from..? Her "estranged" mother that worked in a care home...
As I needlessly ate something to try & talk her out of blowing her last 20 on a "wrap of speed".. ;)

I'm normally passive during a proper low.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jaylee, snap. I don't get aggressive or argumentative, I just get low and quiet.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"her estranged mother who worked in a care home....."
Oh. Right. An expert then....;)

Unfortunately it can be used as a smoke screen all too often, and believe me if I'm not hypo and not irritated in the first place I sure as hell will be grumpy if I'm told that to get someone else's actions or words.

" So, let's get this right...you "borrowed" my car without asking, backed in to the tractor while reversing and trashed the rear end, and my reaction shows my blood glucose is low??" :sour: LOL !

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"her estranged mother who worked in a care home....."
Oh. Right. An expert then....;)

Unfortunately it can be used as a smoke screen all too often, and believe me if I'm not hypo and not irritated in the first place I sure as hell will be grumpy if I'm told that to get someone else's actions or words.

" So, let's get this right...you "borrowed" my car without asking, backed in to the tractor while reversing and trashed the rear end, and my reaction shows my blood glucose is low??" :sour: LOL !

Yep, she was an "expert".. Her other classic line was "my doctor said it was ok to smoke weed while pregnant."
She "retained" my insulin when I finally took the initiative to leave... But it was good of her to safely try & dispose of it in accordance with the "directive" by setting fire to it along with a few other possessions of mine in the front room of the flat.

Reactions: 5 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jaylee, snap. I don't get aggressive or argumentative, I just get low and quiet.

I believe the hypo myth to the non Ds or "norms" is like the same attitude towards a drunk.. The "you need sugar, your getting leary". Comment thrown out is in a sense a defence & serves to belittle the reciprient..

Remarks like this are akin to the old "it's her time of the month".. Which serves no purpose other than to "bate" the individual in order to justify an agenda..

If your having a hypo treat it.. If not.? Stay calm & walk away...

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh 'eck Jaylee! :eek: You were best off out of that relationship ! I thought my ex was a nutter and that was confirmed after break up when they were arrested for selling small packets of oregano in a dodgy local :D

Signy ( apologising for going waaaay off topic :oops: )
Edited for typos

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi every1,

Go shopping girl!!!!!!!!!!
You might not be able to eat or drink what you want but you can look hot!

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Every penny saved from food shopping can go to shoes, clothes, make up or hair... Or in my case giy n gardening!!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Giy?? Meant diy!!!- and a bottle of red wine on Sat nights-lol!!