So bleeping angry with my gp!!!!!!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Omg! I thought I was treated badly!!!! tbh I have lost that much faith that ive started reading up on dr bernsteins diet etc. if I can get my own cgm meter, I wouldn't need to bother the dr for test strips.... I know its expensive aa I got details last week, but im seriously considering it. im struggling at the moment and made to feel like im hard work, but I just want to be well.....like anyone with or without diabetes.

well done on your low carbing etc....please feel free to message me with details of how you are doing it and what, if any, diet/lifestyle programme you are following xxx
If you're going to get one on line you could get an sd code free cheaper on ebay . Strips are £7 a pot of 50. Free pp and vat free for diabetics. Very quick delivery. You could get one in for emergencies? Just a thought.

Reactions: 2 people

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
never thought of that, thank you. will have a look. last time I had to buy some they were £25. This cgm looks good but its over £1000 to purchase plus £250.+ per month.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
never thought of that, thank you. will have a look. last time I had to buy some they were £25. This cgm looks good but its over £1000 to purchase plus £250.+ per month.
That's the ones in boots and other chemists. Sd code free has a mixed review but I'm happy with mine! As I'm t2 (which is a post code lottery) my doc wouldn't give me strips as I didn't need them when taking met lol! I bought my own accu heck meter but then discovered the sd code free - recommended by one of the guys from this forum. It's bigger than my accu check but easier to use. Strips don't require as much blood. Lancet not so nice but I'm a big girl (in more ways than one but shrinking fast!) so I'll deal!

lilyfleur

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
GP has absolutely NO right to do that - print off this official letter and take it into your GP - ask for a quote for the press on why you have been denied your test strips and then phone the papers!! https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...inger-prick-tests-in-managing-type-1-diabetes

This letter is very useful. I've not had problems getting my strips yet but will save it just in case that changes.
Just one small niggly thing about the letter though- did anyone notice at the very end it says "TOO MANY COULD LEAD TO WASTAGE."
Who on earth do they think is wasting test strips? They think we test for fun? I can't think of any instance as a type one that you would be testing unnecessarily, unless you're literally doing it intentionally and testing every ten mins despite good blood glucose control. Bizarre!

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You still need to do 4-6 fingerprick blood tests a day when using a CGM so the SD Codefree is probably a good investment.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The woman deserves everything she gets and more! Am generally not catty but perhaps if I explain why you'll understand. As soon as I was diagnosed, I was sent away with a pack of metformin and told to look on the internet when I asked what I should eat. I did. Found this site. Went LCHF and kept a food diary. Thinking this was sensible. A week later on the same day, I had a hyper, was reprimanded and told to go to my docs and get sorted as my LCHF diet was dangerous and wrong for a diabetic, sent home and went straight to the docs to have to wait 2 hours in the surgery. I was frightened and upset. That was when I saw this dn. She was rude and told me that my diet was dangerous and impossible to maintain and that I would end up binge eating. When I asked why she responded with "right, that's it. I'm referring you to the hospital. " I sill eat LCHF to this day. I have tried all of the 4 starchy carbs but as they send my bs through the roof I think I'll not bother.

Reactions: 4 people

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with Spiker! its so unfortunate that some people are really not suited to their jobs and this dn's rudeness could have scared and influenced another person to doing the wrong thing. im reading loads on low carb eating. its seems completely sensible tbh.
what is wrong with todays medics? its lucky we have found this site or I for one do not know how id cope. x

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ok...letter came.....
I have made a decision and am seeking legal advice. One of the cases against them is neglect of care which they have done. Other issues too are involved and im being advised by a legal team what to do.
this practice has left me in a very dangerous and bleak position and have blatant disregard for my health.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ok...letter came.....
I have made a decision and am seeking legal advice. One of the cases against them is neglect of care which they have done. Other issues too are involved and im being advised by a legal team what to do.
this practice has left me in a very dangerous and bleak position and have blatant disregard for my health.
I know you are angry with them and with very good reason but I think going down the legal route will just give you more aggravation than satisfaction. I would just change doctors and write them a letter explaining why, and how badly you have been treated.

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree but this is only one issue. There is another issue which is far more serious. I can't allow them to get away with it.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
OK but be prepared for a long hard fight that may make you miserable. The NHS liability and duty of care is restricted in law and in practice. If legally challenged they hunker down and rarely admit liability.

Also because it is a free service that limits some of the other remedies you would otherwise have.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree but this is only one issue. There is another issue which is far more serious. I can't allow them to get away with it.
Just make sure you are doing this for the right reasons, not for revenge or out of anger. If you can still make a cold, calm, logical argument for going down the legal route then that may be right for you. Otherwise I tend to agree with Spiker, just leave and tell them why. I would hate for your health to suffer more because of a potential court case. It's not just a case of why should they get away with it?... you also have to consider the effect on your health, relationships and business.

Take care
x

Reactions: 5 people

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
what they have done has already ruined my business, my family relationships, my reputation and possibly my marriage. I have nothing else to lose.
I cant go I to details here but I am broken.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I know you are angry with them and with very good reason but I think going down the legal route will just give you more aggravation than satisfaction. I would just change doctors and write them a letter explaining why, and how badly you have been treated.

I agree that taking legal action should always come as a last resort - in this case however I wonder if this attitude towards PWD is endemic to the practice. It only takes one strong individual to stand up to help those who can't help themselves.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I hope you realise I wasn't criticising you, I just didn't want you to jump into something you may regret later. It sounds like you do know what you are doing so I wish you Good Luck with it.

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yes I have and like Spiker said before, they are pulling together and blaming me. completely disregarding me. I agree with all your concerns but frightened that even when I join another practice, I will be made out to be something im not. I really dont feel like I have a choice x