Diabetics are carb intolerant

Are diabetics just carb intolerant?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillie Ruth

Both my adult sons have severe asthma...I'm the type 2 diabetic......they MUST test their breathing capacity 3-4times a day. They takes regular preventers, and many other meds including lots of cortisone. Where ever they go, they have relievers, cortisone, a volumatic, a mobile phone, and in the car a nebuliser that runs off the battery. We have antibiotics on hand for the slightest outbreak of any bug because of secondary infections.
One son was in an induced coma for 7 days before his asthma stricture broke,mthe other, an anaphylactic coma due to allergy to a viral infection.
This has been going on since that we're babies.
Lung damage is their future unless they follow their regimen to the letter, and no they do not smoke. What idiot would?
This is relevant in that there are many severe conditions out there that require total life changing behaviors, oh, and they have inherited diabetes to look forward to as well.
I have chronic asthma, and the boys asthm scares me witless, they couldd be gone in an instant, no amount of intervention can necessarily guarantee their lives!
I am much easier in my own mind dealing with my diabetes than their asthma, I may get complications, but I'm not going to keel over tomorrow if I am careful and treasure the life I have. There I've said it, I'd rather be like this than go back to my childhood days of dreadful, untreatable asthma.
Be grateful for every advance in treatment and accept that no one has a perfect life. My stress levels are far higher about them amd our finances than my diabetes!
And I'm not fat, lazy or ever eaten a poor diet, in my family, it is who doesn't have diabetes rather than who does, it's the norm, do what we will.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Well, isn't this question a bit like asking what is the meaning of life? Surely if it helps to say you are intolerant and it works for you, does it really matter? While it may not be technically correct, I think it's a simple way of explaining it without going into the technical detail.
No it is nothing like the meaning of life. Why would you infer that you have an intolerance to carbs (an enzyme issue) when in fact you have not. The problem with those with Type 2 diabetes is that they are not able to deal efficiently with the products of the digestion of carbs not their inability to digest carbs. Let us deal with the realities of our illness rather than venture into a pretend world.

Doug

Reactions: 4 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Why would you infer that an intolerance to carbs is an enzyme issue ? Why does that matter ? If a T2 are not able to deal efficiently with the products of the digestion of carbs, as you say, how are they not intolerant ? Have you looked at the definition of intolerance ?
"An inability to eat a food or take a drug without adverse effects"
If a T1 or T2 eats carbs, whatever way you look at it or how it's digested, we get an unwanted rise in BG levels which we struggle to control. This is what makes us different to non-diabetics.
This is not saying carbs are a poison or must not be eaten, most of us do. However, we do get an adverse, unwanted reaction if we do.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Inability to eat a food OR take a drug. I eat food AND take a drug, no adverse effect. if I was intolerant I would have an adverse effect, even with the drugs (insulin) which humans are supposed to make anyway.

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
So what is it that makes you diabetic ? Is it not related to carbs/sugars ? If you tolerate them OK, why do you wear a pump ? Why do I inject ? Let's make some rules Brett, 2 more posts each lol :)

Reactions: 4 people

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Why would you infer that an intolerance to carbs is an enzyme issue ? Why does that matter ? If a T2 are not able to deal efficiently with the products of the digestion of carbs, as you say, how are they not intolerant ? Have you looked at the definition of intolerance ?
"An inability to eat a food or take a drug without adverse effects"
If a T1 or T2 eats carbs, whatever way you look at it or how it's digested, we get an unwanted rise in BG levels which we struggle to control. This is what makes us different to non-diabetics.
This is not saying carbs are a poison or must not be eaten, most of us do. However, we do get an adverse, unwanted reaction if we do.

Hi Mo

I would not need to infer that a carb intolerance is an enzyme issue because it is. I can digest carbs no problem as I have no enzyme problem. It matters because saying that people with Type 2 have a carb intolerance is plainly not true unless they have had carb intolerance (their ability to digest carbs) investigated and diagnosed. Have you? How many members have been tested for carb intolerance? We have enough going on when we have type 2 without inventing problems we do not have. The problem that those with Type 2 have is in processing glucose and often through insulin intolerance. Insulin has no effect on carbs whatsoever. It is not there to deal with carbs but glucose. You yourself have said as much and yet are stuck on the "carb intolerance". Why? You may need to regulate your carb intake but that is to reduce glucose levels and not because you have a difficulty digesting carbs (carb intolerance - like gluten intolerance).

Regards

Doug

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
There is actually a lot written about this in a great book called The Art and Science of Low carbohydrate living. In the book, they define what carbohydrate intolerance means. I have quoted from the book as follows:
"In medicine, intolerance is characterized by extreme sensitivity (in a negative way) or allergy to a drug, food or other substance. Common forms of food intolerances include abnormal responses to lactose and gluten ingestion that in both cases promptly improve when the offending substances are restricted in the diet. In a person intolerant to carbohydrate, there is an exaggerated glucose and insulin response to a given amount of carbohydrate ingested"

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Don't know why I posted again lol ! There will always be differences of opinions. All I know is if I eat carbs, my BG levels rise and stay high. That is an adverse reaction in my opinion. Anyway, let's just accept that we won't agree on this one :)
Brett, I am fine with beer buddy ! Yes there are carbs but I can inject to counteract the intolerance if required ;-)

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
and and and.........
People are lactose intolerant because they don't produce the enzyme lactase.
Yes, enough already!

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
There is actually a lot written about this in a great book called The Art and Science of Low carbohydrate living. In the book, they define what carbohydrate intolerance means. I have quoted from the book as follows:
"In medicine, intolerance is characterized by extreme sensitivity (in a negative way) or allergy to a drug, food or other substance. Common forms of food intolerances include abnormal responses to lactose and gluten ingestion that in both cases promptly improve when the offending substances are restricted in the diet. In a person intolerant to carbohydrate, there is an exaggerated glucose and insulin response to a given amount of carbohydrate ingested"
Why does it not surprise me where you found your quote Tweetypie. Did you really expect it to be any different?

Doug

lilyfleur

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Doug-
The poll didn't say "medically defined carb intolerant", it said "carb intolerant", which can be interpreted in different ways because as people have already said, the definition of intolerance is an adverse reaction to a food or drug, which is something diabetics have. Agree to disagree?
Brett- I do understand where you're coming from, but some (and I suspect many) of us have an adverse reaction to carbs even with insulin- I eat a "normal" carb heavy diet, I feel moody, fatigued, have severe cravings and put a lot of weight on. My blood sugars become more difficult to control. If I eat a low carb diet, my mood improves, I have more energy and my blood sugars stabilise. Again, I'd say time for us all to agree to disagree :)
It made for an interesting debate!

Type One Diabetes since 2001, Coeliac Disease since 2003 ish, IBS, and on and off depression and diabulimia.

Current HbA1c 11.7% :(

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Lilyfleur

Like you say, it is past the time for us to agree to disagree on whether we are intolerant to carbs or whether our issue is with glucose. Much has been said on either side and we run the risk of going round in circles. Thanks one and all for an interesting debate.

Regards

Doug

Type 2 diabetes
Metformin 500mg td
Cholesterol and blood pressure on target with medication.
Also living with Parkinson's Disease.
Happily helping to moderate this great forum.

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.