1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetics are carb intolerant

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by notafanofsugar, May 14, 2014.

?

Are diabetics just carb intolerant?

1. Yes

46.8%
  2. No

46.8%
  3. I abstain!

6.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

I wouldn't even attempt to explain it as the science goes 'whoosh', right over my head, but if you haven't already seen Peter Hyperlipid's series of posts about physiological insulin resistance, they can be found here:

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Physiological insulin resistance (1)
    http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Physiological insulin resistance (2); Dawn Phenomenon
    http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Physiological insulin resistance (3); Clarification of FBG
    http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Physiological insulin resistance (4); Alzheimers
    http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Physiological insulin resistance (5) The wild type mice
    http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Physiological insulin resistance (6) The Terminator
    http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Physiological insulin resistance (7) and palmitic acid again
    http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Physiological insulin resistance (8) Chewing the FAT
    http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Physiological insulin resistance (9) Dolphins

I keep promising myself that one day I'll try to read and understand them... :bookworm:

Edited to add another post I missed from the above list:
    http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot....siological insulin restisance (8) Guess what?

• Like Like x 8
    #241 Indy51, May 20, 2014 at 2:24 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2014
  2. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Oh Indy I would really love to read all of those, but just don't have the time right now......maybe one day:)

• Like Like x 2
  3. jentp188

jentp188 · Member

i agree tho without insulin u cannot handle carbs so there for we ave intolerance to them (type1) i no from personal experience if i ate a plate of chips and didn't do my insulin ide run hi and feel sick

4. jentp188

jentp188 · Member

so basically ure just not reading or understanding what is being said you would die if you ate carbs without insulin because ure body cannot use them efficiently so beng a type 1 if u didn't inject u wouldn't be able to handle the carbs and if over time u did this ure body organs would start to **** down and I would die slowly and painfully if left untreated

5. Lesley andrews

Lesley andrews Type 1 · Member

Diabetics are better off not eating carbs, I know my sugars are brilliant now

• Like Like x 7
  6. sanchia07

sanchia07 Type 1 · Active Member

The definition of Intolerant = An inability to eat a food or take a drug without adverse effects, so in very basic simple terms its part of the illness, however not the whole story and its a little more complicated than just that sweeping statement.

• Like Like x 4
  7. paul-1976

paul-1976 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I know what you're saying but no matter what the root cause of the condition was,be it autoimmune or otherwise,the upshot is that we're left intolerant of carbohydrates per se despite some patients being able to counteract the large BG spikes with injected synthetic insulin.
    For a type 2 with major insulin resistance there is no 'Get out of jail free card' and major carb restriction is the only answer and for me as a type 1.5-carbohydrates being restricted to my current level has allowed me to keep my insulin therapy to a minimum.

• Like Like x 8
  8. lilyfleur

lilyfleur Type 1 · Well-Known Member

No problem, though I should give credit where it's due- cold ethyl mentioned him first haha I just had to add that he's brilliant because I watched the same video a few months back and thought it was fantastic, I never would've dreamed anyone could talk me through the biochemistry behind metabolism in a way I could understand. He's an excellent speaker and I think is pretty spot on in his views of sugar. It's funny that the "debate" around sugar is similar to the one on here though- on one hand you have people that think of insulin as being a bit of a poison (myself included). On the other hand you have people that think calling it a poison is too simplistic and risks giving people the [wrong] impression that diabetics should ALWAYS be deprived of carbs (in the sugar debate this side of the argument is people who believe that if you tell people sugar is a poison, you make room for a market which will target that fear- telling people to buy their low sugar or sugar free food will cure all of their ills, like a quick fix solution to health problems which nobody wants to face the reality of- the best way to be healthy is to EAT HEALTHILY. This means a natural, balanced diet, not a diet which you believe fits in with your busy schedule, or one which is most convenient). I actually think I believe both sides of the argument are correct, I don't see why we have to pick a side. It's all a grey area!

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed his video too :)

• Like Like x 3
  9. lilyfleur

True, but equally, there are MANY people who are very low carb who are on a MUCH smaller amount of insulin than they were on a "normal" diet. I think it's the same as anything else diabetes-related: we are all different and some types of management work well for some people, and not for others.

• Like Like x 11
  10. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Agreed. Low carb has cut my insulin requirements by half so far, which is good, but it's not the main benefit. The main benefit is blood sugars that are much more stable, at a much lower level, with fewer and less severe hypos.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 8
  11. lilyfleur

That sums up my experience too Spiker...

• Like Like x 2
  12. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Here are some numbers for my experience.

Previous calendar month (3rd month on pump and CGM, not low carbing)

Averages: glucose 10.4 (std dev 4.8 ). Daily insulin 58u (24 basal 34 bolus), daily carbs 199g. CGM in range 64% of the time, high 32%, low 4%

Last two weeks (on pump and CGM, low carbing)

Averages: glucose 6.3 (std dev 1.9 ). Daily insulin 32u (21 basal 11 bolus), daily carbs 74g. CGM in range 87% of the time, high 5%, low 8%

• Like Like x 7
    #252 Spiker, May 21, 2014 at 3:26 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2014
  13. Mrs Vimes

Mrs Vimes Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Excellent numbers Spiker. That's the joy of lchf - smooths out the the peaks and troughs. I've never had such good piece of mind and it's been a while since I woke up soaking wet needing lucozade. I actually can't remember. The pump just makes it 'easier' after all the hard work.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 3
  14. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

We certainly are 'all different' lilyfleur, it's what we've all said on the forum since it began :)

• Like Like x 4
  15. jacquihogan99

jacquihogan99 Type 2 · Newbie

I like the definition 'carb intolerant' rather than diabetic. Thats how I generally describe myself, as it is more usefu#,,l and there are way too many negative associations with 'diabetic'. But I don't like the word 'just'. That makes it seem not very serious. And for T1s particularly, it is very far from trivial.

(I'm a T2. My niece is a T1.)

16. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

Please remember that t2 is not inflicted, in a lot of cases there are many other causes....

• Like Like x 2
  17. suejat

suejat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've only just come across this thread, and have just worked my way through it all. I'm going to write the next bit in capital letters, so that everyone should see it---UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES no-one actually NEEDS carbohydrate. The human body has evolved so that the only substance that it can use for cellular respiration---- the process that provides energy for EVERY cell in the body---- is glucose. Because of this, it is able to make any sort of food into glucose---- even protein!!!! ( What a clever little sony it is!) Protein (at least amino acids) cannot be produced by the body, and their functions cannot be taken over by any other foodstuffs. Carbs can be stored as fat, but cannot replace fat, as some essential nutrients are fat soluble, and can only be absorbed in the presence of fat. Please note that I said at the beginning that carbs are not essential under normal circumstances. Diabetes is not a normal circumstance. It affects every sufferer differently. I am a type 2 who cannot tolerate carbs in any great quantity, so I eat as few as I can. Other people I know can eat much more, and make me jealous!

• Like Like x 2
  18. roberty1

roberty1 · Member

If we Diabetics are Carb intolerent, where does that leave myself and many other cyclists who carb load before long bike rides

• Like Like x 2
  19. bhalla

bhalla Type 2 · Newbie

I have reduced my carbs intake and I have lost weight and I use to suffer severely with high cholesterol and now all levels are normal. I was on 2 tablets a day for my diabetes and now on 1 a day with permission from the doctor and I feel top of the world.

Don't get me wrong, I eat carbs once in a while, but not like I use to everyday. I run around with the kids and even join in when my boy's playing football without even going into out of breath mode. I would say to cut it out/down but not completely.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I like the word 'reduced' :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook