Type 1s: What stupid things have people said to you?

zed

At uni my friends found it hard to understand that fact I can eat and I just inject accordingly.

.. Am sure you can't eat that .. Or drink that !

... To everything I put in my mouth

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My parents went to see a doc to find out more about my diabetes (they live abroad) - that seems like a good move, go to a doctor to get some info, rigth?
Apparently the doctor said that I destroyed my pancreas (pancreas, not beta cells) because I had a virus, was stressing and was basically not looking after myself. No mention of "autoimmune". So now my parents think I did this to myself because I was not taking care of myself 0_0 I'm T1...
Oh, and apart from the insulin, apparently I need to have a special diet!
I'm very sorry for any diabetic patients of this doctor.

Other thing - my mom went to a shop and bought me a bunch of "diabetic sweets". They're musli & fruit bars - each has over 20g of carbs... I'm not sure what's "diabetic" about them.

johnmtp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Other thing - my mom went to a shop and bought me a bunch of "diabetic sweets". They're musli & fruit bars - each has over 20g of carbs... I'm not sure what's "diabetic" about them.
I was recently diagnosed, and my wife went and bought some diabetic sweets, and they all had the same if not more carbs. than normal sweets!!

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was recently diagnosed, and my wife went and bought some diabetic sweets, and they all had the same if not more carbs. than normal sweets!!

And contain a dose of sweetener with laxative effects:eek::eek:

The daftest thing said to me was by a friend who has known me for years, who I thought would know better :-

Just before we set out on a long journey with me as the driver so I was testing my BG, she said : " By the way, if you are going hypo, tell me and I'll inject you with your insulin as you drive, ok ? "

She was **** lucky she didn't travel to Zeebrugge from Carlise locked in the boot .

Signy

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

They are not digestible carbs and sit in your gut fermenting away, sometimes with explosive results!

The little ones from M&S are OK but you should always be careful with sweets for diabetics. The hard boiled sweets from Thorntons can cause painful stomache upsets. i found them very unplpeasant. Their turkish delight bars though were perfectly OK.

Truvia zero calorie sugar has 99g of carbs per 100g of Truvia, but because you don't digest it, it is zero calories and won't affect your bloods.

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They are not digestible carbs and sit in your gut fermenting away, sometimes with explosive results!

The little ones from M&S are OK but you should always be careful with sweets for diabetics. The hard boiled sweets from Thorntons can cause painful stomache upsets. i found them very unplpeasant. Their turkish delight bars though were perfectly OK.

Truvia zero calorie sugar has 99g of carbs per 100g of Truvia, but because you don't digest it, it is zero calories and won't affect your bloods.
That's actually very misleading and quite dangerous if not explained on the packet. I never eat diabetic foods but if I was going to eat something that said it had 100g of carbs in it for example I would inject 15 units of insulin and probably kill myself in the process.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's actually very misleading and quite dangerous if not explained on the packet. I never eat diabetic foods but if I was going to eat something that said it had 100g of carbs in it for example I would inject 15 units of insulin and probably kill myself in the process.

I agree it is practically useless. It assumes that people know that if it is zero cal, the carbs must be nondigestible. But, on some of these products, there is a mix of different types of carbs that make things taste sweet and they all work in different ways. I have never really thought about the implications for those who need to inject insulin. I can't see that the situation will be improved by this new 'traffic lights' system either.

As usual, we have to get ourselves informed about what is important to us whilst others get paid for ensuring we are informed about the things that they think are important.

It does highlight the dangers though of manufacturing synthetic food additives, for thats what they are, modified at the molecular level but providing the user with no indication or guidance. You can't even get away with doing that for an asprin.

Last edited by a moderator:

dave wheeler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
if i find you passed out how much insulin should i inject you with. errr none please thats probably the last thing i need

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Recent one by family friend - it's coz you don't go to church and don't believe in God that's why you are diabetic felt like kicking him in the balls
So coz God hate me I'm t1

Hello, God here. Have you got my banking details so that you can send me your weekly donation to my offertory box in good time.

Of all the stupid comments on this thread I think your one takes the biscuit.

Reactions: 6 people

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Recent one by family friend - it's coz you don't go to church and don't believe in God that's why you are diabetic felt like kicking him in the balls

I assume this person is no longer a family friend. Hands up all the people who are diabetic and who believe in God and go to church, Oh that's a lot!

Get your ex friend to read this quote from Jesus
(Luke 13:4) . . .Or those 18 on whom the tower in Si·lo′am fell, killing them—do you think that they had greater guilt than all other men who live in Jerusalem?

Reactions: 4 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When non diabetics , go oh wow I'm so hypo right now .
So you think hmm ok ? How , then they go this feels great why do you feel so rough hypo . When actually they mean there feeling hyper .
Which still is no feeling related to being high neither hypo .
:banghead::banghead::banghead:................ :banghead:

Also I find it funny when you watch the tv programmes and there is a diabetic and they go very low , and some one shouts get the insulin pen , oh yeah I bet there so happy you came along to help. Gives the wrong impression to if this was actual real life very worrying .
Try grab the dextrose or glucose gel .
:facepalm:o_O

:p:p:p:p:p

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I'm sure diabetic sweets only work because they force you to limit your intake due to the dreaded 'laxative effect'

Reactions: 5 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Right ...so that's the way to become a believer - out of fear, or in hope of a favour from the divine !:eek:

A fervent new - age "friend " once gave me a book that she thought would be helpful, in which the author stated that "people have diabetes because they will not acknowledge the sweetness of their lives...and if they cultivated an attitude of love and light to all, they would cure themselves "

Grumpy mare ? Me....? :grumpy::D

Signy

Reactions: 9 people

Peachypuff72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being woken up early :(
Someone said to me the other day, "my cat has diabetes" " if you need any help with carb counting let me know" I was in shock x

Reactions: 10 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Someone said to me the other day, "my cat has diabetes" " if you need any help with carb counting let me know" I was in shock x

That is SO funny!:D

"So, Peachypuff, what have you eaten today ?"

"Breakfast - one "Good Girl" foil - 10g carb
Lunch - Felix Crunchies , 1 cup - 15g carb
Snack - one medium sized mouse, approx 4g carb
Dinner - Whiskas Salmon Supreme - 1 400g tin - 15g carb"

Bet your fur and claws would be in prime condition though!:D

Signy

Reactions: 12 people