What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe that's called sexual harassment. Did you say that's fine. Let me lend you a magnifying glass so you can find it?!

I was so shocked I said nothing.. but I did drop him in it with the big big boss at a later date ;-)

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1402254838.432572.jpg

Philadelpia fish cakes yesterday (between 2!!).

Wished I had taken photos of sweet pointy peppers stuffed with Philly n bacon lardons today...

Best fishcakes ever tasted!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
You are a sweetheart, LL, thanks for asking. My pussycat is napping next to me at the moment. He is a little bag of bones, but is still managing to eat, jump and does not seem to be in any pain. He is 8 years old. From his X-Ray, the vet is 99% sure he has intestinal lymphoma. Without opening him up, they cannot be 100% sure.

His treatment options are chemo or steroids. On steroids, it is hoped the tumour will slow a bit or even shrink. He has started steroids, thanks to @Brunneria 's great idea of hiding the tabs in Brussels pate, and is now very hungry all the time! Hopefully he will beef up a bit. On steroids his life expectancy is a few weeks. It was a heartbreaking decision to not go down the chemo route. We want to do the best for him and chemo might give him a few months, but it would involve him having an operation to establish the kind of cancer then regular chemo without hope of an ultimate cure. We would rather he spent his final days playing in the garden with his brother and his human family, rather than in an unfamiliar cancer ward which he would hate. He is insured up to the ears so mercifully we did not have to consider money in this difficult decision. We have no idea when he will leave us, depends on whether the tumour shrinks/grows/causes a blockage and for how long the steroids are effective.

Meanwhile he is being spoiled rotten, as always! Vet says to let him eat whatever he wants. He has lots of cuddles, his brother for company, a cat flap into a big garden with trees and bushes, 24 hour room service, not a bad life at all :cat: X
Big hug. Lost my little chap yesterday to aggressive bone cancer! Enjoy your time left with him! Big hug!

Reactions: 4 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been quite lucky with my boss. He knows I will kill him if he tells anyone about my D so he always offers me sweeties etc so that I look "normal" in front of the others :wacky:

that's a better sounding boss. I had to email friends that we are staying with at end of month to say I'd bring own grub and it was awful saying I have D -I have told some people, but I really don't want all and sundry to know.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oh, poor you, hope you've had something to numb the pain.

It's just that a couple of us on here have been doing the LCHF diet for a month or so and we have both suffered from the high fat bit. I'm just speaking personally now, but that bit of the diet didn't suit my digestive-ness ( is that a word?) . My friend found some articles saying there were increased cases of heart disease in some scandinavian countries where a lot of people were following this diet. I always had a problem with the thought of high fat, and I didn't / couldn't maintain it, that's probably why I felt exhausted, I wasn't having enough fat and protein to keep my energy levels up. If you eat cream and cheese and full fat everything, it's got to have an effect on arteries. So with me having heart problems already, I just couldn't risk it. Sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear love. xx
Shame it's not working :( But everybody's different! What are you doing instead?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

that's a better sounding boss. I had to email friends that we are staying with at end of month to say I'd bring own grub and it was awful saying I have D -I have told some people, but I really don't want all and sundry to know.
To be fair, he owes me one since spilling the beans to his business partner about my mental health...ggrrr.

I know what you mean about all and sundry. Not only is it quite private, but trickling out the news gives you time to get used to it yourself. Plus, rightly or wrongly, I feel D has a stigma. I have to tell my friend on Friday..not seen her for a while as she moved abroad. Coming for dinner and a sleepover. She is famous for making tactless remarks about my weight so I'm worried she will take this news and have a field day :(

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Mmmm KFC!!

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.
:depressed: Eeeewwwww! KFC! McDonald's fillet of fish and ice cream with caramel sauce or egg mcmuffin with hash brown :nurse:;)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please could I have the recipe for the moussaka?

Oh, sure.

Although (like all my recipes), it is rather an approximate thing... And very much the cheat's version.

Low Carb Moussaka

The way I usually guesstimate quantity is by deciding how many portions I want to serve.
4? 8? If so, how much mince feeds that number? How much aubergine? And so on...
I aim for each portion of the mince mix to be at least 50% veg. That way, you don't have to cook extra veg to serve with it - but a green side salad is always good.

Mince (should be lamb or goat, but I usually use beef)
Courgettes
Aubergines
Onions
Garlic
Tinned tomatoes
Tomato paste
Stock cube
Seasoning to taste
Cream cheese - adds creaminess
Grated cheddar
Parmesan - adds depth to the topping

Sweat the onions and garlic in a pan.
Add the mince. Brown thoroughly.
Chop/slice the aubergine and courgette and add to the pan.
Add the tinned tomato and paste, the stock cube and any additional seasoning.
Simmer until it gets that lovely intense red colour and well-cooked mince soft texture.

At this point you can cool it and freeze in portions, or go straight to next steps.

Put hot mince* mix into a baking dish, dot with cream cheese, scatter with cheddar and top with a sprinkle of Parmesan. Grill till cheese is melty/crispy.
Serve.

*if the mince is cold from fridge, or just defrosted, then microwave it up to piping hot before adding the cheese, if you don't you'll end up with brown cheese on top of still chilly mince.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
25g butter
1 large onion
1 pepper (any largeish ones)
600g white fish (bl**dy expensive)
75g of any Philadelphia cheese -mine garlic n herbs and chives!!)
50g fresh breadcrumb
2tablespoon fresh chives
1/2 tsp fresh chives
Some flour for coating pre frying.

Literally sauteinion n pepper then mix with everything else...

Little oil in pan for 8-10 mins.

This makes 6 big fishcakes...

I also added a splash of philly sauce pre seeving... 200g of any philli with 145ml of milk n pepper... But that makes enough for 12 servings of sauce.....

Great with any salad or any veg....

White fish is costly though... Cod.. Waitrose..585g.... Massive £11.11... Mind you got 6 fishcake meals, so not too bad I suppose....

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Big hug. Lost my little chap yesterday to aggressive bone cancer! Enjoy your time left with him! Big hug!

Oh Scandi, so sorry.

Nothing else to say - but I know how much it hurts.

((Hug))

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be fair, he owes me one since spilling the beans to his business partner about my mental health...ggrrr.

I know what you mean about all and sundry. Not only is it quite private, but trickling out the news gives you time to get used to it yourself. Plus, rightly or wrongly, I feel D has a stigma. I have to tell my friend on Friday..not seen her for a while as she moved abroad. Coming for dinner and a sleepover. She is famous for making tactless remarks about my weight so I'm worried she will take this news and have a field day :(

Yes it does have such a stigma attached- it's almost like you should be wearing D for dunce on your head because you let yourself get fat and ill... the people I am staying with are old uni friends who are slim and run etc and she in particular has sailed through life without any mental health issues and makes me feel **** at the best of times...perhaps I 'll mutter about the dangers of excessive drinking as they can knock it back!?

Reactions: 3 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Brunch: 2 quorn sausages and a fried egg (Been watching Ethyl eating sausages and wanted some! o_O)

Dinner: 3 bean salad, guacamole, minty yogurt dip, baked Edam "Doritos". (Mouth on fire! :p)

Pudding: low carb raspberry and chocolate cheesecake.

2zs9vk6.jpg
2hrq00n.jpg
Please can I have the cheesecake recipe?

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Scandichic I make my moussaka with a different topping from @Brunneria Mix some natural yogurt with a big handful grated cheese( cheddar and parmesan work well) , season and beat in two eggs. Pour over mince mixture and bake in oven till cooked through and topping fluffy and browning at edges. I also like to top mince with layer of courgettes and feta cheese.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Definitely not been a low carb day! Sunday at work = stress and hypos = me needing comfort food! (I work with someone who likes to tell me what I can and can't eat and raises her eyebrows when I say that as I'm type 1 I can eat what I want as long as I match my insulin to it - even though I generally don't - today, I bought 90% dark chocolate and she had a go at me!) sorry for that little rant! Consequently, today started well, and has ended ****!

Breakfast - Greek yoghurt and berries

Lunch - vegetarian fajitas (with lettuce leaf wrap)

And then... One square each of Lindt 90% dark choc and Lindt dark choc with caramel. Quater of a millionaire bar.

Then after an argument - feast ice cream and magnum white (yeah I know, fatty)

Just now - toasted tea cake with loads of butter - naughty, but maaaaan it tasted good!

Adding up my carbs... I now feel guilty... And a little sick so start again tomorrow! :'(
Been there and at that lecture! Am t2 and can't eat starchy carbs as they send my bs into stratosphere. But I need to eat rice, bread and pasta.... Er no actually. I prefer not to have a hypo! Try not to punch her on the nose!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yup.
The thread is here, but it's looooonnnnnggggg.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/pesky-dawn-phenomenon.57672/
If you want the short version:
  • Eat a cheese string or Brazil nut the moment you open your eyes.
  • Do not go for a wee first.
  • Do not get up.
  • Do not pass Go.
  • Do not collect £200
As far as I can tell, by snaffling a little snack before any physical activity at all, you are telling your liver 'no need to dump glucose into the bloodstream, there is food on the way, see, here is a sample of the low carb goodies to come'

It took 2 weeks, but by then I had reached the point where my dawn phenomenon stops in its tracks, and often drops slightly, before breakfast.

Nowadays, I have a Brazil nut every morning.
Do you do fasting bloods before?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Alexandra..

Pity u with a know it all non diabetic raising eye brows at your eating!!!

You are right, providing you match insulin to food ... Then should be no probs!!!

I dislike people like your work colleague intensely!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.