Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you do fasting bloods before?
Yes. Immediately on waking (while chewing the Brazil)
Then again, immediately before breakfast.
All the figures are on that thread I linked to.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
P
Oh, sure.

Although (like all my recipes), it is rather an approximate thing... And very much the cheat's version.

Low Carb Moussaka

The way I usually guesstimate quantity is by deciding how many portions I want to serve.
4? 8? If so, how much mince feeds that number? How much aubergine? And so on...
I aim for each portion of the mince mix to be at least 50% veg. That way, you don't have to cook extra veg to serve with it - but a green side salad is always good.

Mince (should be lamb or goat, but I usually use beef)
Courgettes
Aubergines
Onions
Garlic
Tinned tomatoes
Tomato paste
Stock cube
Seasoning to taste
Cream cheese - adds creaminess
Grated cheddar
Parmesan - adds depth to the topping

Sweat the onions and garlic in a pan.
Add the mince. Brown thoroughly.
Chop/slice the aubergine and courgette and add to the pan.
Add the tinned tomato and paste, the stock cube and any additional seasoning.
Simmer until it gets that lovely intense red colour and well-cooked mince soft texture.

At this point you can cool it and freeze in portions, or go straight to next steps.

Put hot mince* mix into a baking dish, dot with cream cheese, scatter with cheddar and top with a sprinkle of Parmesan. Grill till cheese is melty/crispy.
Serve.

*if the mince is cold from fridge, or just defrosted, then microwave it up to piping hot before adding the cheese, if you don't you'll end up with brown cheese on top of still chilly mince.[/QUO
Yum! One for the recipe book!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Scandichic I make my moussaka with a different topping from @Brunneria Mix some natural yogurt with a big handful grated cheese( cheddar and parmesan work well) , season and beat in two eggs. Pour over mince mixture and bake in oven till cooked through and topping fluffy and browning at edges. I also like to top mince with layer of courgettes and feta cheese.
Yum too!

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
25g butter
1 large onion
1 pepper (any largeish ones)
600g white fish (bl**dy expensive)
75g of any Philadelphia cheese -mine garlic n herbs and chives!!)
50g fresh breadcrumb
2tablespoon fresh chives
1/2 tsp fresh chives
Some flour for coating pre frying.

Literally sauteinion n pepper then mix with everything else...

Little oil in pan for 8-10 mins.

This makes 6 big fishcakes...

I also added a splash of philly sauce pre seeving... 200g of any philli with 145ml of milk n pepper... But that makes enough for 12 servings of sauce.....

Great with any salad or any veg....

White fish is costly though... Cod.. Waitrose..585g.... Massive £11.11... Mind you got 6 fishcake meals, so not too bad I suppose....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Thank you!

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunneria and cold ethyl thank you for the moussaka recipes. I will definitely try them.

Donneleysdogs thank you for the fish cake recipe. Another one to try. We have lots of fish in the freezer that mr A got when it was reduced.

Scandichic I am so sorry to hear about your cat x

Reactions: 3 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Off topic but who else can I tell?

I have half a dozen or so beloved rings which, in the months leading up to diagnosis, stopped fitting me. Funny that :rolleyes: I have just tried them all on and they now fit again. Hurrah! I just need a skinny liver and skinny pancreas now to match my skinny fingers :joyful: It has given me a buzz for a super lchf week ahead. Have a good one too everyone!

Reactions: 7 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yay I know exactly how you feel. I can now get my engagement and eternity rings off and nearly there with my wedding ring.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't get my engagement ring on which is a shame as it's a family loom :(

One day I intend to wear it again and forget it was ever anything to do with the ex!

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Protein shake

Burgers in lettuce leaf with melted Stilton and salad
Nut ball

Cheesy cabbage and few bits of duck

Nut ball (too **** tasty)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Roast beef dinner tonight - started with avocado vinaigrette, then beef with some green beans, cauli and cabbage, berries and cream and a small piece of 85% chocolate. Oh and a glass of red wine. So, 5.2 before, expecting something in the low 6s after 2 hours. But 7.9! Guess who forgot to check the carb content of the horseradish sauce ...

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How much of it did you have, for heavens sake?

I've had roast potato tonight, for the first time, since diagnosis, so more finger pricking tonight. Fingers crossed.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
How much of it did you have, for heavens sake?

A couple of really good dollops, but the brand (Sainsbury's creamed) contains 28.9g/100ml carbs, of which 23.4 is sugar. I've had horseradish before but a different brand (forget which) that was much lower. I suppose it could also have coincided with a meter reading outlier.

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Blimey Charles - lots of Dextrose tablets. Isn't there a more enjoyable way to support your blood scores, or is it just expedient to take Dextrose?
I follow dr Bernstein's suggestions of having small amounts of glucose at regular intervals throughout a workout.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's today's output from McGee's Low Carb Kitchen:

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1402308841.700100.jpg

And finished to this:

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1402308859.632725.jpg

Yummmmm

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Reactions: 5 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stop with the temptations. At the risk of being a partypooper, low carb doesn't always mean low calorie and I have a dumper truck's worth of weight to shift!! Back to falxseed and yogurt.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Stop with the temptations. At the risk of being a partypooper, low carb doesn't always mean low calorie and I have a dumper truck's worth of weight to shift!! Back to falxseed and yogurt.

They look very low calorie to me :p

I will be filing these under "Hogmanay biscuits" as I didnt get any shortbread last year :( Thanks Deb.

By the way, I have ordered some psyllium husk powder to attempt flax-free bread soon. Will keep you posted.

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Almond cookies
185g almonds ground
4 tbs stevia (maybe more)
100g salted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg.

Oven GM 2

Mix together in a bowl. If too wet, add more almond.

Place walnut size balls on lined baking sheet

Bake for 5 mins then push tops down to make flatter.

Bake for 20 mins

Top with whipped cream and strawberries for low carb strawberry shortcake. A slightly soggier version but lovely all the same.

Reactions: 6 people
Status
Not open for further replies.