Coke and chocolate in vending machines in hospital

Should they serve coke and chocolate in vending machines in hospital?

• Yes

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Not sure / it depends

Votes: 11 19.3%

• Total voters

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
I was admitted to hospital for having a serious hypo (long story, I should have noticed it). Anyway, I am fine now but when I was leaving I did think about how the vending machines just had crisps, chocolates and coke in - and wondered whether that was irresponsible as those foods do no good to you!

I get the coke/chocolate for a hypo, but I saw many people, in the middle of the day, go and get more than one choccy with a drink AND crisps. These people were patients at the hospitals (still had those clothes on) and made me wonder, they've banned it from schools so why not ban it from hospitals? Surely in hospitals people are ill (or were!) and so if we don't feed it to our kids, why do we feed it to our young!

What's more, is that REALLY helping the 'obesity crisis'?

I tried to take a picture of the vending machine to show how it served NOTHING good, but I pressed the wrong button and took a photo of myself :s

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think in theory they should not stock the sugary variants of products such as coke but I don't think they should do away with them.
At the hospital I go to the shop do not sell any sugary drinks and I've often wondered what I would do if I was having a hypo and didn't have anything with me to treat it.
They do still sell chocolate though but I guess they can get away with this as there is no alternative.

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
Totally agree - but I think if coke/chocolate/junk food is doing all this harm and we don't serve it in schools, why do we give it to the ill! Does that make sense? Not sure it does, but I think it does!!

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Surely it's a persons choice. I really don't know what happened to freedom of choice but it seems all we have now are bans on unhealthy foods and a proposal for taxing sugar. Whatever happened to people's self control when it comes to eating the wrong foods?
Banning these foods and drinks will just make people rebel and drink and eat them more surely.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Totally agree - but I think if coke/chocolate/junk food is doing all this harm and we don't serve it in schools, why do we give it to the ill! Does that make sense? Not sure it does, but I think it does!!

It does make sense and I can see both points of view.
I didn't have full fat juice before I was diagnosed and now see it purely as a medication.
I would normally have stuff with me so would unlikely ever need it when I was there.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Surely it's a persons choice. I really don't know what happened to freedom of choice but it seems all we have now are bans on unhealthy foods and a proposal for taxing sugar. Whatever happened to people's self control when it comes to eating the wrong foods?
Banning these foods and drinks will just make people rebel and drink and eat them more surely.

I've often thought this with doing away with Tuck Shops etc in Schools.
You used to get it in the school but now kids just go out to shops to buy it instead.
If you do away with treats you'll binge.
I'm kinda on the fence though.

Reactions: 2 people

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Notfanofsugar, I have sympathy for your thoughts, but what is the long-term harm? Not all hospital patients are diabetics or obese and I guess that those who are not (should I add 'yet' here?) might wish a little relief from hospital foods.

I would suppose that if you are diabetic or obese – and feel tempted from these bad choices – the temptation would be everywhere around you in daily life outside of hospital. And a logical follow-up of banning them in vending machines would be to ban them from any and all shops (and I bet: surely not happening until hell freezes over).

Now, I wonder which items you would put into the machines instead?

Annelise

- on a side note: being somewhat familiar with hospital foods (which are certainly not diabetic friendly), I have decided to call on family and friends to provide me with my own food stash … - should the occasion arise …

Reactions: 4 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Ultimately, the vending machines stock what people buy. They are there to make money and pay the hospitals a hefty fee. If they sold carrot juice and pumpkin seeds, most people would walk past. I guess it's the same as McDonalds sponsoring the Olympics, not the best of partners but it's just business !

Reactions: 9 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I agree with Mo, The hospitals could not afford to be "in bed" with the sweets & crisps industry. It would cost a fortune for them to buy out of their contracts! (just like with the parking ransom companies!)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Bad hospital food or vending machines?

In mine you can get a nice bit of salad in one of the shops, or you can go down to the cafeteria for a full English.

If some of the profits go to the hospital, what's the problem?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Some good points made Emma.

I can see what what the OP is saying and agree in sorts, but then you would have to ban sugary sweets, drinks & crisps from the hospital completely as patients families would just bring them in, hospitals are normally situated in built-up areas anyway and there's normally more than enough shops in the close proximity that these products can be purchased from.

My eldest lads school banned vending machines and it started a black market economy in the school, kids were buying sweets and chocolate in bulk and selling it at school during break times for a small profit, the school soon realised that it was a pointless exercise and reinstalled the vending machines but included some healthy snacks alongside the confectionery and crisps. .

Reactions: 6 people

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some good points made Emma.

I can see what what the OP is saying and agree in sorts, but then you would have to ban sugary sweets, drinks & crisps from the hospital completely as patients families would just bring them in, hospitals are normally situated in built-up areas anyway and there's normally more than enough shops in the close proximity that these products can be purchased from.

My eldest lads school banned vending machines and it started a black market economy in the school, kids were buying sweets and chocolate in bulk and selling it at school during break times for a small profit, the school soon realised that it was a pointless exercise and reinstalled the vending machines but included some healthy snacks alongside the confectionery and crisps. .
People need to remember that these companies are only selling because there is demand. The companies cannot be completely blamed for people's choices to eat unhealthily or even just to treat themselves.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think banning them would be a good idea, if people want that type of food then they will find a way to get it, worst case would be someone discharging themselves just because they couldn't get the food they wanted while in (and yes some people are daft enough).

However I do think a healthy alternative should be readily available, it is surprising how many hospital canteens are closed during weekend and evenings which can mean the vending machine is the only on site option.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I don't think banning them would be a good idea, if people want that type of food then they will find a way to get it, worst case would be someone discharging themselves just because they couldn't get the food they wanted while in (and yes some people are daft enough).

However I do think a healthy alternative should be readily available, it is surprising how many hospital canteens are closed during weekend and evenings which can mean the vending machine is the only on site option.
Didn't think of that!

G

graj0

As much as I would prefer that the machines contained healthier options I think the bottom line is that people should have the choice.

innilus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Unappreciative people, Stress, Facebook
It's a good point but I don't think I'd want to buy a salad from a vending machine to be honest. I do think there should be more healthy options that are easily available at hospitals though. At the QE in Birmingham they have a fresh fruit stall right outside the main entrance which is quite good. It would be good if hospitals could open their own healthy cafeteria's too. Not everybody would appreciate that but if you ask me, if you want to eat ****, you should bring your own **** in with you, it's a hospital, there to help you recover and make you healthy.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem is that if the hospital agreed to only have 'healthy options' in their vending machines, then they wouldn't sell much (profits would plummet) and they would use orthodox healthy eating ideas - high carb whole grain and low fat. That would be worse for my blood glucose levels than a bar of chocolate.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A
It's a good point but I don't think I'd want to buy a salad from a vending machine to be honest. I do think there should be more healthy options that are easily available at hospitals though. At the QE in Birmingham they have a fresh fruit stall right outside the main entrance which is quite good. It would be good if hospitals could open their own healthy cafeteria's too. Not everybody would appreciate that but if you ask me, if you want to eat ****, you should bring your own **** in with you, it's a hospital, there to help you recover and make you healthy.
After my last stay in hospital are you sure you are right? Hospitals are there to treat you not look after you? Tell me I'm wrong! Lol!

innilus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Unappreciative people, Stress, Facebook
A

After my last stay in hospital are you sure you are right? Hospitals are there to treat you not look after you? Tell me I'm wrong! Lol!

Well I go to the hospital for my diabetes care and it's not just about treatment.

Reactions: 7 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well I go to the hospital for my diabetes care and it's not just about treatment.

Lucky you!!!
Some people are born that way, the rest of us have to try harder!!