paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nhs. religion for the sake of it.
Re: Low Carb Recipes.

hi doczone. your recipe for creamy cabbage is GORGOUS!! only down side i didnt make enough!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
p.x

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nhs. religion for the sake of it.

hi sorry meant doczoc :shock:

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans

This is now my weekly sunday treat:

Low carb hot chocolate: in a cup put a good dollop of double or clotted cream and break into it a couple of squares of very dark chocolate - I used 85% cocoa. Sprinkle on some cinnamon and then microwave for 20 seconds. Mix into a paste. Slowly add some milk, whilst stirring until the cup is 3/4 full. Microwave again for a minute or until hot enough to drink.
THEN!
Add some coconut oil to a frying pan and add some nutmeg and cinnamon. Peel, core and chop an apple. Add to the pan and fry until brown. You can also core and half the apple and rub with coconut oil before roasting. Tastes delicious! I have both of these together on a Sunday night. Yummmm!

ChocFish

I have made this recipe a few times now and even non-diabetic cabbage haters enjoyed this recipe, thanks DocZoc

All the best

Karen

saz1

low carb pizza

I just made and had this, I calculated it only has around 10-12 g carbs depending on the topping.

You will need:

2 low carb tortillas (3g carbs each)
Grated cheese ( I used cathedral city and parmesan)
Mixed dried herbs
Garlic
Tomato sauce/pure
Pepperoni
A few slices of onion and red pepper

or what ever you fancy, tuna, ham, veggies etc. etc.

Place one tortillaon a baking tray and top with some cheese and herbs. Place the other one on top and spread tomato sauce over the top. Add garlic and more herbs, pepperoni and the onions and peppers and some more cheese. Bake in 200 degrees until cheese is bubbling and enjoy! It was absolutely delicious and I'll be definitely making it again. :mrgreen:

Doczoc

I've done this in my pre-diabetic days in a pan on the stove top. nice and quick as well as delicious.

saz1

Low carb meringue pudding:

8 pieces miss meringue chocolate pieces (0 g net carbs)
50 g fresh blueberries or strawberries (6/3 g carbs)
1 tbsp of extra thick cream (? carbs)
scattering of chopped nuts and seeds

Just had this and it was so delicious, these meringues are actually nicer than sugary ones, they aren't as sweet. In the ingredients list total carbs are 8 g in 13 pieces but 2 g is fibre and 6 g sugar alcohol from isomalt I think.

Aadrgon

Just had Ardennes Pate and oatcakes for lunch
the Ardennes pate I had was 2.4g carb per 100g

pippa

I'm reading this site and its making my hungry.but how does Brussells Pate come into it, surely thats high in fat and must be avoided. I have to watch Fat intake doe to high cols. I am really beginning to think I am never going to get the hang of what and what not to eat, :(

saz1

Hi Pippa,

it really isn't that complicated, it just defies the modern diet advice. If you read some of the success stories and the thread "why low carb has to be high fat" you will ralise that you can have vastly improved lipid levels and fantstic control of your blood sugars by eating more fats. Including cheese, meats, bacon, eggs, nuts and brussels pate. You just have to omit the carb laden crackers and have it with lettuce leaves or the numerous low carb cracker varieties available online.

it may seem confusing but give it some thought, read and ask more questions and you will learn fast.

heidiphillips

Cheesecake: Mix 5fl oz double cream (whipped until it is floppy but not stiff), with 12 oz cottage cheese (the creamy type). Heat some pkt gelatin on the stove as per directions until clear. Mix 2 egg yolks in with the cream and cottage cheese, add in some grated lemon rind and juice of 2 lemons, then pour in the gelatin. Add in da Vinci white chocolate syrup to taste. Allow to cool in the fridge and top with flaked almonds.

Ice cream: mix 100g Total (organic greek) yoghurt with 100ml double cream. Whip the double cream until it is firm and forming peaks then stir in the yoghurt. Add in da Vinci syrup (whatever flavour you like), mix and place in freezer. Bring out every half hour or so to re-mix. When completely cold ( and when your taste test tells you)- serve.

Yum!! And BTW tried the combination of fried brussell sprouts with cabbage (in olive oil) with bacon, cream and parmesan. Shared it with my brussel sprout hating kids. LUSH!!!!

CurvyPixel

Here's one I tried for brekky this morning... I call it "French (without the) Toast"

1-2 eggs (depending on appetite) whisked
1/2 cup Cream (I used double)
1 dspn granulated sweetener (or to taste)
1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (I used McCormicks) or you can blend your own with 1 part ground cloves; 2 parts ground ginger & ground nutmeg & 4 parts ground cinnamon.
Knob of butter

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add cream & eggs & stir as they cook over a gentle heat. Stir in sweetener & spice mix. Cook to desired consistency ( a couple of minutes). Serve. Yum :D

CurvyP :D

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Recipes.

Lo-Carb Tortilla Chips

That's right folks! I've found 2 brilliant recipes for Lo-Carb Crisps! These are the tortilla/Dorito style chips that go great wilth lo-carb salsa, and lo-carb nacho cheese dip! There are 2 variations - one made with cauliflower, and one made with Zuchini. Check out the recipes below:

Zucchini Nacho Chips
================
1 large zucchini, shredded
2 eggs
2 cups cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Grease 2 baking trays.
Cut ends from zucchini. Shred. Mix with egg and cheese. Make 6-8” circles on greased cookie sheet(s). Bake at 450 degrees for 12 minutes. Loosen and flip the circles. Bake for another 5 minutes at 450 degrees.
With a pizza cutter, cut rounds into triangles (about 6 per round).
Let cool on a rack for 6-8 hours in a cool oven. To store, keep loosely in a bag or a plastic container in the refrigerator or on the counter. Best used within a week of preparation.

Makes 36 chips.

Cauliflower Nacho Chips
==================
1 16 ounce bag of cauliflower, shredded, chopped or riced
3 eggs
3 cups cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Grease 2 baking trays.
Cook or thaw frozen cauliflower. Shred, rice or chop. Mix with egg and cheese. Using 1/4 cup scoop, make 12 6-8” circles on greased cookie sheet(s). Bake at 450 degrees for 12 minutes. Loosen and flip the circles. Bake for another 5 minutes at 450 degrees.
With a pizza cutter, cut rounds into triangles (about 6 per round).
Let cool on a rack for 6-8 hours in a cool oven. To store, keep loosely in a bag or a plastic container in the refrigerator or on the counter. Best used within a week of preparation.
Notes: Recipes can be halved for less chips.
Store on rack until crisp and then in an open container to prevent moisture.

Makes 72 chips.

These can be seasoned with pretty much anything you want. Gound pepper and salt, curry powder, chilli and lime...

monkroo

When I first started on a low carb diet, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to properly enjoy dinner parties with friends - at their own homes.

My friend Jonathan was concerned for me and inquired as to how he might make my experience a pleasant one (isn't he sweet?) I mentioned my diet and limitations per meal and he promised to sort something out.

He came through in a big way. The following is the dinner we shared at his home a couple weeks ago. It consists of oven cooked new potatoes, simple roasted asparagus and salmon. The dish takes about 45-50 minutes all told, is a single-dish meal for easy clean-up, and is delicious and satisfying. Can be eaten as a full meal or cooked and served without the fish to accompany poultry or meats. Recipe serves 2 but can be easily increased. Asparagus can also be substituted with fresh blanched green beans.

One-Pan Salmon with Roast Asparagus

Ingredients
400g new potatoes with skins, halved if large
2 tbsp olive oil
10 asparagus spears, trimmed and halved
2 handfuls cherry tomatoes or baby plum tomatoes
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 raw salmon fillets, about 140g each
Fresh ground pepper, salt, garlic powder (optional) to taste as desired
Handful fresh basil leaves

Preparation
1. Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas mark 7. Tip the potatoes and 1 tbsp oil into a large oven-proof dish. (If increasing recipe, a large, deep roasting pan will be perfect.) Roast the potatoes for 20 minutes until they begin to brown. Toss the asparagus in with the potatoes, then return to the oven for an additional 15 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes and vinegar and nestle the salmon amongst the vegetables, not atop them. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil and return dish to oven for a final 10-15 minutes until the salmon is cooked. Scatter dish with chopped fresh basil leaves and serve.

Note: There are more potatoes than a recommended serving for the 100g p/day carb diet for pre-operative bariatric patients. 4 egg-sized new potatoes or their equivalent - if potatoes are smaller - will work just right! (and cut the grand total carb count from the listed amount below.)

Nutritional values per serving:
483 kcal, 33g protein, 34g carb, 25g fat, 4g sats fat, 3g fibre, 6g sugar, 0.24g sodium

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Just found this forum- have got so many recipes I have made up
Quick lunch - slice aubergines at an an angle to get large slices or long ways , sprinkle with olive oil and grill both sides until cooked. Sprinkle with grated cheese and top with slice of tomato and return under the grill.

Quick meal- mix half a pack of fresh spinach leaves with a few sliced mushrooms, dried onions, chopped up dried tomatoes and put into a flan dish. Crack 2 eggs and put on top, sprinkle with cheese and microwave for 2 - 3 minutes until eggs cooked

Mix grated cheese and oatmeal for a savory crumble topping

This evening I took 4 fresh sardines, split open, patted gram flour (full of protein) on them and fried in olive oil.

I could go on and on and on but don't have the time!!! Hope the above will give some inspiration.

Oh yes I have found an UNSWEETENED cappuchino mix in a tub at Aldi- their own make. All the big makes sell unsweetened taste varieties which have the usual glucose/fructose mix. In Morrisons today I found fruit diet yoghurts with sweeteners and no sugar/fructose/glucose etc. The make is Irish Yoghurts. They are on offer and must be new.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Sponge-cake Bread:
This is a bit weird but good. From the Optimal Diet website : homodiet.netfirms.com

Butter cake tin thickly and sprinkle bread crumbs ( or use lining paper)
Add pinch of salt to 10 egg whites and beat till stiff
Beating, add 10 egg yolks, 1 by 1
Add 100g flour, mixed with 2 tsp. baking powder
Add 100g melted cooled butter
Put in tin, then in oven for about 1 hr, 200 degree C
Allow to cool in oven to prevent falling

You can scale this down: For each egg, use 10g of butter and 10g of flour

sue32

Dislikes
false people

Wow!! :eek: :eek: :eek: I've never seen so many wonderful and tasty low carb recipes in my life. Just goes to show how easy it is. I've been following the GL plan for 9 months now, have lost 7 stone, another 5 to go, and I haven't touched any starchy carbs in all that time. People look at me strangely when I tell them I eat no bread, pasta, potatoes or rice. I laugh and tell them that's probably the reason they don't lose the extra weight they're always moaning about eh?!?

Reactions: 2 people

sue32

Dislikes
false people

Crustless Quiche
Fry 2 onions and 2 cloves garlic until soft and golden in 2 tbsp olive oil. Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix together 4 ozs grated strong cheese, 1 tbsp ground almonds, 1 tsp mustard, black pepper. Beat together 3 eggs with 300mls double cream or creme fraiche and add to the bowl with the cooked onions. Mix all well together then bake in a greased cake tin for 40-50 mins at Gas 5. You'll have to convert into deg C yourselves, no good at that!!! I use a silicon cake tin, no need to grease and the quiche just glides out.
I do prefer this cold with salad, but it's ab fab!!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

sue32 said:
Crustless Quiche
Fry 2 onions and 2 cloves garlic until soft and golden in 2 tbsp olive oil. Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix together 4 ozs grated strong cheese, 1 tbsp ground almonds, 1 tsp mustard, black pepper. Beat together 3 eggs with 300mls double cream or creme fraiche and add to the bowl with the cooked onions. Mix all well together then bake in a greased cake tin for 40-50 mins at Gas 5. You'll have to convert into deg C yourselves, no good at that!!! I use a silicon cake tin, no need to grease and the quiche just glides out.
I do prefer this cold with salad, but it's ab fab!!!

Sounds very nice Sue32! :)

Nigel