Weightwatchers or Slimming World?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How many grammes of carb do you aim for when trying to reduce them ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Hi,
There are lots of answers to that, I'm afraid...

Most people in the uk eat anywhere from 200-400g carbs a day.

The general consensus is that 120-150g/day is the beginning of the lower carb scale
Then it gets progressively lower till you hit the very low carb zone of 50g or below.
Some people on here are below 20g

As to what is best for you... Do you have a blood glucose meter? If so, that is the best way of judging your personal carb comfort zone. It will also let you identify problem foods (that's sugar, wheat, rice, potato and all grains, for me).

As general guidance though, most people seem to report better BG control at under 150g
And weight loss at under 100g
And ketosis (my favourite) at under 50g

But of course, we are all different, so we all find what works for us.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How many grammes of carb do you aim for when trying to reduce them ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Do you have a BG meter? It helps to follow an "eat to your meter" strategy as outlined here:
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

Other people go straight for an Atkins-style induction or follow the guidelines presented by the Diet Doctor:
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

If you are trying to lose weight as well as seeking BG control, then the last site is probably the best one to follow.

Rosie134

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was borderline diabetic. I have lost over 4 stone with Slimming World and still going. I'm completely fine now.

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was borderline diabetic. I have lost over 4 stone with Slimming World and still going. I'm completely fine now.

I think it's the borderline and diagnosed t2 it's better for. I'm going to get weighed tomorrow and see if I get better or more advice than I got last week. Have followed low carb this week. Some of the healthy extras have too many carbs in them even though I'd love some muesli etc.

Brilliant weight loss though. :)

colinrim

Did you know that your Diabetic Nurse can refer you to Slimming World or Weight Watchers for 3 months free?
I got my referral today and am looking at which is best for me......

Reactions: 2 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Glad to hear you have lost your weight and the borderline diabetes and is good news you can be refered by the Nurse for 3 months free is well worth trying then...... :)