£25 for doctors letter to allow Insulin on Plane.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just after paying out for that letter, make sure you keep it for future holidays. I still have my letter from 30+ years ago and would still take it!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It cost around 10p to photocopy at the local post office..
So suggesting a printed template with an ink scribble at the bottom would cost more than that is pretty outrageous ....

superkenny

T1. For 30 years.

Never bothered to get any doc letter, even put my insulin in a metal lined cool bag designed for drugs and it never get questioned!!! Been to USA Cyprus Ibiza uk customs never bothered. But also I never say am diabetic or anything to them!

Hope this helps

Kenny

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have never bothered to get one! I just take my prescription request form. But have never been asked to show anything anyway.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I've carried insulin on a plane many times and never had a letter. Never had to even mention it to security. I just had no idea you actually had permission to carry your own medication on a plane!

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I've travelled a few times with insulin, and my son travels with an EpiPen (for allergy). We've been stopped by security at airports in England, Hong Kong and Australia, coming in and going out, but the've always been satisfied with the prescription label on the pen. However, we made the mistake of telling one airline that my son has a severe food allergy, and since then they've insisted on a new medical letter each time he flies. This letter is not to explain the needles but to say he's safe to fly. I've been asked for a similar letter for flying when pregnant. We actually avoid that airline now, as once we moved back to the UK and got charged for each letter it seemed a pointless extra expense.

So my advice would be not to worry about a letter unless you've been specifically asked by the airline to provide one.

Kate

fatcat62

The first time I travelled overseas since being on insulin I had to get the letter, cost me £10, but travelled to Spain and Portugal (hopefully Bulgaria this year) and never been asked to show it

Sent from fatcat62's iPad

John Meds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My Diabetic unit in the hospital wrote my letter free so I can take my injection and needles on the plane....Think it outrageous that GPs charge for letters when they are given free by Diabetic units in Hospitals

Pogo175

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Either diabetic nurse or consultant can write the letter, you don't need to have an appointment just phone the nurse or consultant secretary to request it or ask for it via email - no charge.

X-entricity

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many doctors charge £25 for all letters for anything, not just diabetes. Sorry Angrymum but whether you agree with it or not,you only have four options.
1. Try and find someone in the practice who will do it for no charge.
2. Change doctors to a surgery that would do it for no charge,
3. Accept the situation and pay up, or
4. Forget the flight and stay at home.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My Diabetic unit in the hospital wrote my letter free so I can take my injection and needles on the plane....Think it outrageous that GPs charge for letters when they are given free by Diabetic units in Hospitals

Yes it is outrageous John, that's why it best to ask the hospital team to do the letter as there's no charge.

It would seem reading the thread that very few get asked for a letter anyway, I wonder if the repeat prescription slip would suffice now as it has your name, address and meds listed.

Louisah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got a 'holiday pack' from my DNS, it contained an insulin passport and various other bits and pieces which were great. Speak to your local hospital xx

Reactions: 2 people

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Many doctors charge £25 for all letters for anything, not just diabetes. Sorry Angrymum but whether you agree with it or not,you only have four options.
1. Try and find someone in the practice who will do it for no charge.
2. Change doctors to a surgery that would do it for no charge,
3. Accept the situation and pay up, or
4. Forget the flight and stay at home.

Or 5. Just don't bother to get one!

X-entricity

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Or 5. Just don't bother to get one!
Yes, I agree but with the increased security at airports it would be horrible to turn up and be refused admission onto the plane. Perhaps cheking with the airports and carriers involved would also be an option.

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I agree but with the increased security at airports it would be horrible to turn up and be refused admission onto the plane. Perhaps cheking with the airports and carriers involved would also be an option.
I would love to hear from anyone that has actually been asked to show their letter or been refused admission on to the plane.
As someone said earlier on this thread I think the airport staff have seen it all before.

I just take my prescription request form.

gb4242

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been asked to pay £25 for a letter from my GP to allow my Type 1 Diabetic 17 year old daughter to carry Insulin on a plane.
Am truly outraged, surely this is some form of discrimination against the sick?
Purely a money making exercise by my GP surgery as all these letters are templates anyway.
All the GP has to do is sign it.
But what can I do? Swallow it and pay up? Move my daughter to a different surgery? Complain?
Surely the NHS do not allow this sort of semi-privatisation for minors?
Does anyone have any ideas or good advice as to what to do next?
Many Thanks.
AngryMum.

The answer is easy: search with google for content and print and sign one yourself!!!

davidburkett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This makes me angry - please read carefully. To fly on a civil airliner you do NOT need a letter from your doctor stating you use Insulin. It is prudent to take a copy of your repeat prescription (ie the bit you tear off and keep) to show it is prescribed medication. And when you are passing through airport security, make them aware you are Type 1/2 on insulin and HAVE SHARPS in your hand baggage. Trust me, they see it all the time. Make sure you keep all needles/test meter/strips/pens/vials together and never in the hold luggage. I have been working in aviation for well over 10 years, have been Type 1 for longer and promise you that you don't need a letter, paid for or otherwise. I also, on a daily basis, X-ray things destined for flight and can confirm an injection pen is very easy to spot.

Reactions: 6 people

Andre Dubois

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
being diabetic :(
Good point well raised. I am new to injections (3rd week now) and hadn't thought about this. I live in France and travel a bit as well. Will see what I need to do. I would be surprised if customs stop diabetics because of the pens, they must see them hundreds of times daily........

lizbet9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a letter from my diabetic nurse at the surgery (free) I've never been asked for it over the last 7 years of travel but I always let the staff at the airport know that I'm carrying my diabetic kit and it's never a problem