£25 for doctors letter to allow Insulin on Plane.

Angrymum

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been asked to pay £25 for a letter from my GP to allow my Type 1 Diabetic 17 year old daughter to carry Insulin on a plane.
Am truly outraged, surely this is some form of discrimination against the sick?
Purely a money making exercise by my GP surgery as all these letters are templates anyway.
All the GP has to do is sign it.
But what can I do? Swallow it and pay up? Move my daughter to a different surgery? Complain?
Surely the NHS do not allow this sort of semi-privatisation for minors?
Does anyone have any ideas or good advice as to what to do next?
Many Thanks.
AngryMum.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's an approved con. The letter can be written during a consult

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got my consultant to do mine as the GPs charge. A lot of people on this forum advised a prescription is sufficient but I took the letter for peace of mind - it was never requested though.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
That sounds excessive but I'm not sure if there's anything you can do about it. My doc never charges, just lucky I guess.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I am not surprised you are so angry. It's truly outrageous. Your GP should feel ashamed! Can you not make a complaint!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have just read the link and still think it's unjustified. I regularly sign passport photos and fill in forms on behalf of people and would not consider charging people. The letter is just a template which has someone's name typed in and requires a signature. I cannot believe you have to scroll through copious notes to discover whether someone is T1 for example.

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
It is disgusting that we are penalised for being a diabetic, and have to get permission for many things.
My doctor does not charge either. When I was in the UK had to get new passport took to my doctor and he charged me. off hand cannot remember how much in the region of 20 pound.
I had to renew my passport here in France once a year have to prove to the pensions people that I am still in the land of the living.. My Doctor has signed both of them.........t. I asked how much..... nothing. .... explained the before episodes ...............he could not understand why UK doctors charge for signing documents ..just to prove who you are................. case closed.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It is disgusting that we are penalised for being a diabetic, and have to get permission for many things.
My doctor does not charge either. When I was in the UK had to get new passport took to my doctor and he charged me. off hand cannot remember how much in the region of 20 pound.
I had to renew my passport here in France once a year have to prove to the pensions people that I am still in the land of the living.. My Doctor has signed both of them.........t. I asked how much..... nothing. .... explained the before episodes ...............he could not understand why UK doctors charge for signing documents ..just to prove who you are................. case closed.
My point exactly. This is why I would never charge someone for filling out a passport form. Total abuse of power.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Your daughters hospital team will do the letter for nothing, £25 is a rip-off and I for one wouldn't give them it.

Emsley75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Consultants are much more willing to do this so ask them instead. Having said that these days I just tell them as they scan my hand luggage that I have insulin in my bag and I've never had a problem (tend to travel only within Europe so not sure if more important if going somewhere more exotic or where English may not be spoken as much).

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I see my DSN at my GP surgery complex..

At the suggestion of my DSN she issued a letter from my doc there & then for my travels..
I never incurred a charge, nor was the actuall letter required at airport security...

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
So, I take it you're volunteering to pay more taxes to make up for the NHS funding shortfall that would result in GPs charging less?
Yes if that's what it takes.
However, I think that it's just an easy way to make money.
I know that doctors are overworked and have every sympathy. However, I think it wrong to take money from people who are in need of a letter due to a medical condition. As I have pointed out to you, I often fill out passport forms for Tutees and neighbours etc. I would not accept money from them for doing so and am quite happy to do it for them. Quite often during my unpaid lunch break too!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've flown around 50 times in the last couple of years, short haul and long haul, on all different airlines and airports, and never had to show as much as a prescription, let alone a doctor's letter. You don't need any doctor's permission to take insulin on a plane. The only people who matter are the airport security people and they see insulin pens a hundred times a day.

Reactions: 4 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I agree with Spiker to be honest. I do have a letter ( free ) but I have never had to show it after flying with numerous airlines. If I had to pay, I wouldn't bother. I'd take a copy of my prescription. No airline will refuse you travel.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not so much the airline. But it would be wise to check the destination countries drug laws..! ;)

Angrymum

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
So, I take it you're volunteering to pay more taxes to make up for the NHS funding shortfall that would result in GPs charging less?
No I'm not. I'm asking my doctor to produce a standard letter to ensure that a child who is dependant on using needles to administer insulin prescribed by them, to manage a life threatening condition so that she can fly. It is a medical need and part of our NATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE. I think in this case the line has been drawn on the wrong side.

Reactions: 4 people

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Crikey spiker you get around!

But I agree with spiker and Mo. I paid for a letter and have never been asked for it. Only once in the last year someone commented and it was coming through security in India. But they just asked me to confirm I had insulin pens in my bag. I guess they are used to how they show up on the X-Ray.
A