£25 for doctors letter to allow Insulin on Plane.

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, I take it you're volunteering to pay more taxes to make up for the NHS funding shortfall that would result in GPs charging less?

I think you will find that the money goes straight into the GP's pocket as they are independent contractors. It doesn't affect the NHS funding shortfall.

jim

saloplass

Your daughters hospital team will do the letter for nothing, £25 is a rip-off and I for one wouldn't give them it.
Is this because surgeries are businesses? Profit and all that. It may need a word with your Patient Group at your practice - see if all the doctors [partners] charge.:(

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always trvel with a letter stating that I carry sharps etc: Have never had to pay for it. The travel agent where we book our holidays advise me to have one and that it need to be renewed each year. Have never been asked to show it but I like to have one just in case :)

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have just been on the DAFNE course - the hospital team suggested that some airlines / airports may tighten up and they suggested taking a letter, ID issued by hospital and repeat prescription. They provided ID (laminated) and letter free of charge and said that the letter lasts a year any time you need a new one just contact them and they will issue a new one.
They specifically said don't get one off your GP as they will charge but the hospital team won't.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
The £25 is a standard fee, that the doctors charge for non-nhs work. They charge for all types of form filling, even to insurance companies, and it is listed on a table of non-nhs charges, I had to pay a dee some time ago, and it did hurt me and my pocket, ttfn

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have always travelled with insulin on a plane and have never been asked to provide a GP letter. Why did you feel the need to do this?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You should always carry a repeat prescription form anyway when abroad or even travelling in the UK.

Reason being.. Accidents happen.. They could be shown the repeat med script.. And understand it.. If you ever accidentally forget something it is then easier to go to any pharmacy and get back up..

A relative of mine.. Non diabetic recently had to have a gp called out when abroad... It would have been much easier for him and partner if he'd had a copy of his script with him.

Schumacher type accidents are rare, but lots of accidents and especially bad food n stomachs occur abroad, but they do happen. Far easier for a relative or yourself to hand over a repeat script copy....

Loving life

Reactions: 2 people

simonkit

Just get the doctors surgery to give you a full print out of the required prescription.. this also should have the surgery address/details on it and will be all you'll need, this was actually the recommendation of my doctor the first time I asked him for a letter to travel.. I've actually never been asked for anything anyway but take something along just in case

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Is this because surgeries are businesses? Profit and all that. It may need a word with your Patient Group at your practice - see if all the doctors [partners] charge.:(

No idea as I don't know the ins & outs of gp surgeries pay structure, but at £25 a time for a letter it must be a lucrative side-line if the charge is on top of their annual salary.

I've only had one letter and that was 25+years ago and I didn't pay for it, I wouldn't pay on principle tbh and if I did I wouldn't be looking to pay much more than £10, the secretary will write the letter up and the gp only has to verify it and sign it, where does £25 come from :confused:

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
GPs can charge for certain letters which are outside of their NHS contracted work. They dictate an individual letter which is typed up and returned to the GP for signature.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

PollyC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been asked to pay £25 for a letter from my GP to allow my Type 1 Diabetic 17 year old daughter to carry Insulin on a plane.
Am truly outraged, surely this is some form of discrimination against the sick?
Purely a money making exercise by my GP surgery as all these letters are templates anyway.
All the GP has to do is sign it.
But what can I do? Swallow it and pay up? Move my daughter to a different surgery? Complain?
Surely the NHS do not allow this sort of semi-privatisation for minors?
Does anyone have any ideas or good advice as to what to do next?
Many Thanks.
AngryMum.
My GP charged £10, I have kept the same letter and use it every time I travel but I have never once been asked to show it. The letter is now 8 years old and is well travelled and held together by cellotape.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my 18 months carrying insulin I've never been asked for any docs relating to insulin. I've always carried insulin pens without the needles in my hand luggage, and the needles separately in my hand luggage. I've never even been asked about them, and that is in about 40 flights during that period in UK, US, Europe, and South America.

sammybabe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If your daughter has a decent Dsn they will do you one for free when I travel out of the country they do me a new one without any problems

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Adele99

To be honest I don't mind doctors charging for letters which aren't part of the NHS service. If you consider the amount of times a GP is asked to write a letter, for various reasons multiplied by the amount of patients the practice covers, it could take up a fair bit lot of their time and resources. GPs are being inundated with requests for letters from people making benefit claims, work medicals etc etc., as well.

The NHS provides a health service free at point of use for everyone and I don't think we fully appreciate how lucky we are to have it, and it's services are oversubscribed as it is . If I was going abroad and needed this letter I'd just view it as one of the extra but necessary costs like travel insurance , or fuel duty , airport charges etc. if you ask any other professional to provide a service for you, you'll pay for it. So why object to paying for a service which you're requesting that isn't part of your GPs remit or a basic health need?

The prospect of paying a fee each time you visit the GP is a somewhat different discussion, but it's being floated as a possibility due to the fact the NHS is nearly on its knees financially now.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Adele, I do agree (in sort) to what you say about Dr's being inundated with letter writing and reports, but to charge £25 for a letter that contains two small paragraphs at most is a bit steep, I think £10 would be more acceptable......although I'd rather get one done for nothing from my DSN/Consultant. However your right that we are extremely fortunate to have the NHS and long may it continue, but hopefully the days of paying a fee to see a GP never sees the light of day.