Obese and low carb

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
If one is seriously overweight is it really ok to do low carb without the need to count calorie. Lchf feels a bit scary to indulge thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think so. I was very obese when I started low carbing in April and have lost 69lbs since then and my diabetes has improved immensely too!! I tend to have about 40-50g of carbs per day and use myfitnesspal as well to keep track of my cals and nutrients. Its the best thing I've ever done for good diabetes control. I'd say go for it. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
go to dietdoctor.com and have a read but l would say yes l have never counted and as l believe is heap of ..... to count l lchf and was obese.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most people seem to lose weight on LCHF without calorie counting. I only lost 1/4 lb per month so I introduced calorie counting as well....it's trial and error really. I would start with an easy plan to cut carbs and see how it goes. Good luck.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think so. I was very obese when I started low carbing in April and have lost 69lbs since then and my diabetes has improved immensely too!! I tend to have about 40-50g of carbs per day and use myfitnesspal as well to keep track of my cals and nutrients. Its the best thing I've ever done for good diabetes control. I'd say go for it. :)
I'm lchf and all for it, but I notice a post saying you're cold, are you eating enough healthy fat/ oil ?

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm lchf and all for it, but I notice a post saying you're cold, are you eating enough healthy fat/ oil ?

Hi Jack412, I don't think I am to be honest. My daily fat intake is averaging about 8g per day, according to myfitnesspal. Not really sure how many grams per day I am meant to be having!! :confused:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That, if correct, is very low for anyone.
The GDA (based on a 2000cal diet) for fat is 70g a day It's based on 30% of calories. Even using a US calculator which takes into account age and so reduced calorie needs I get 52g of fat
http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/fat.asp

How many calories does MFP say you are taking in? If you are eating low carb and very low fat that suggests not very many
8g of fat at 9cal a gram = 72 cal
50g carb at 4 cal a gram = 200 cal
then protein.

I suspect that it can't be that low. Some of the data on MFP is totally incorrect though because it is crowd sourced. When I use it I try to check several different entries for similar foods

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That, if correct, is very low for anyone.
The GDA (based on a 2000cal diet) for fat is 70g a day It's based on 30% of calories. Even using a US calculator which takes into account age and so reduced calorie needs I get 52g of fat
http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/fat.asp

How many calories does MFP say you are taking in? If you are eating low carb and very low fat that suggests not very many
8g of fat at 9cal a gram = 72 cal
50g carb at 4 cal a gram = 200 cal
then protein.

I suspect that it can't be that low. Some of the data on MFP is totally incorrect though because it is crowd sourced. When I use it I try to check several different entries for similar foods

Thanks pheonix. I consume about 700cals per day as that is all I can manage. I have about 64g of protein per day and 40g of that is in my protein water that I drink. I had a sleeve gastrectomy in April so I cannot take much in at the moment. But at least my diabetes is well controlled now and my insulin has reduced dramatically.

Reactions: 3 people

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's a good link for anyone finding their way around LCHF - http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
At the moment I'm doing a strict version to get my weight loss going after some months stand still, my daily intake; carbs less then 10 grams, protein app 0,5 gram per lean lbs weight or less, and the rest fat usually 120-200 gram.

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Here's a good link for anyone finding their way around LCHF - http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
At the moment I'm doing a strict version to get my weight loss going after some months stand still, my daily intake; carbs less then 10 grams, protein app 0,5 gram per lean lbs weight or less, and the rest fat usually 120-200 gram.
How do you make up the big amount of fat? Unless you are eating butter or oil most of other food items have protein too.

Also how do you calculate the amount of protein? How do you calculate the lean lbs?

Thanks

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you make up the big amount of fat? Unless you are eating butter or oil most of other food items have protein too.

Also how do you calculate the amount of protein? How do you calculate the lean lbs?

Thanks

Lean lbs or kg is my target weight, app BMI 22 (yes I know BMI is not ideal to use).
For the fat, I usually have bullet coffee for breakfast - coffee with butter (45 gram) and coconut oil (40 gram) well mixed, for dinner I either add flavoured butter (let butter melt over meat or fish) or have a butter/egg sauce like bearnaise or hollandaise, full fat Jersey cream in my afternoon coffee together with a couple of tsp coconut oil. Other ways of doing it could be to choose fatty fish, avocado and stay away from lean meat. I never buy lean minced beef, but rather have the grass-fed kind with more fat bought at farmers market.

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am trying to low carb but have had a couple of days with binges. Doing this with earig disorder os difficult but I have got now lots of supplies. I will continue trying. Thanks

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I
I am trying to low carb but have had a couple of days with binges. Doing this with earig disorder os difficult but I have got now lots of supplies. I will continue trying. Thanks

It can be really difficult to start and not get tempted. If like me you live with a family. To go low carb is hard when you see what's in the cupboard freezer fridge, you will need will power and help to do this. If you can reduce your plate size and cut out the binging and snacking your half way there. Test, test, test you will surprise yourself when you actually see the results. Just don't give up, we all have lapses.