Type 2 Why oh why???

K

koukla

I previously reduced my HbA1C from 49 to 39. I'm continuing exactly the same way I was before but my BG has been rising, culminating in a reading just now of 10.7. I just don't understand. They were in the 4.6 to 4.9 reason at night previously. Seriously feel like giving up this seemingly worthless fight now. I've dropped 3 stones and it seems it's done nothing at all to help. So down right now and I don't even feel like apologising for even that!!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I previously reduced my HbA1C from 49 to 39. I'm continuing exactly the same way I was before but my BG has been rising, culminating in a reading just now of 10.7. I just don't understand. They were in the 4.6 to 4.9 reason at night previously. Seriously feel like giving up this seemingly worthless fight now. I've dropped 3 stones and it seems it's done nothing at all to help. So down right now and I don't even feel like apologising for even that!!!!

May sound odd but I think it's the weather. My hba1c was 37 but my readings have been high and I have lost 2 st 12lbs. Haven't changed diet either! Keep at it and you'll get through it and no don't apologise. You must keep being good or you'll do yourself damage. You can do this! Look how far you've come! Big hugsxxxxhugsxxxx

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You've had a blip in your BSLs. All your other readings and weight loss is good. Study what you had to eat and find out what caused the rise. Testing is fun. Make it a challenge that you can beat.
You've done really well it would be a bit daft to stop all the good work.

K

koukla

Thank you Scandichic and nosher835. It's really cool weather here now and when it was hot my readings were fine. This setback has really got to me because I stick to the same old boring diet all the time and now even that's failing me. I'm at a loss.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Are you getting enough sleep?
Anxiety and worry can also raise blood levels. Take time to relax. Maybe you are obsessing a little.

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Observe your blood sugar and take note if there is a pattern
or maybe this is just 1of those one off readings..if the blood sugar persists to be high (more than 9) and you get persistent erratic readings despite good diet intake, exercise, no flu/infections, stress-free lifestyle, maybe best to check with your doctor and may recommend titrating your medications or do further tests to see what's causing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like i might be time to move onto meds. The people who have the best long term outcomes are the ones who move onto meds when needed

Talk to you Dr, and get an A1c. It doesn't rise from a cold or a week of hot weather.

Last edited by a moderator:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unless you have your own A1c machine, it sounds to me like you are confusing A1c levels with your glucometer readings, eg. 10.7 sounds like a glucometer reading. You can't draw any conclusions from one glucometer reading. When are you next due for an A1c test from the GP? Might help to have that done asap if you're this worried.

K

koukla

No, I'm not confusing them. I just couldn't understand why it was so high when my average is 5.7. Right from the beginning I've never had a result that high. I've had a good sleep but still tired this morning and my waking reading was 5.9. It scared me last night because I'd only had an omelette with a bit of cheddar cheese for dinner.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I honestly think you are making a mountain out of a molehill if it was just one reading. Did you wash/dry your hands and retest? It could be as simple as contamination. I've given up trying to relate my BG readings to the A1c - in my case my A1c is always very low but my readings always seem higher, but I'm not testing in the middle of the night or other fasting times when my BG is bound to be lower, only testing after eating different meals and first thing in the morning. Even in the morning, I can vary from morning to morning with no obvious reason why.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you re-test that 10.7 reading? if you get one you really don't believe possible you should always wash hands again and re-test. We all get rogue readings.

K

koukla

Mountains and molehills whatever.... I'm doing my best with this. I always wash and thoroughly dry my hands before testing and I only test as advised by my hospital Consultant. It just scared me, simple as that, having not had one anything like that level before. No Bluetit1802, I didn't re-test even though logic told me to. I simply did a little internal panic, posted the question on here, saw a few replies, replied to them and went to sleep, which is more or less what I've been doing for most of the morning. Very tired these last few days with no obvious reason. I'll just continue as I was, hopefully making progress. Thank you.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Possibly you are coming down with something - illness or infection can cause raised blood glucose. If the fatigue persists without other symptoms, probably a good idea to see your doctor again. Hope you feel better soon.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mountains and molehills whatever.... I'm doing my best with this. I always wash and thoroughly dry my hands before testing and I only test as advised by my hospital Consultant. It just scared me, simple as that, having not had one anything like that level before. No Bluetit1802, I didn't re-test even though logic told me to. I simply did a little internal panic, posted the question on here, saw a few replies, replied to them and went to sleep, which is more or less what I've been doing for most of the morning. Very tired these last few days with no obvious reason. I'll just continue as I was, hopefully making progress. Thank you.

Whilst you say you are doing everything exactly the same as before, you are also saying you are extremely tired. Whilst our bloods can be significantly impacted by our deliberate actions, other times peripheral, physical impairment or mood will impact. Obviously, not all of these things are under our direct control.

How long has the rise been over? A few days, a week, a month, or longer? If, and I have no doubt you are being truthful, you have changed nothing, it appears something has changed for you, and perhaps the crushing fatigue is a sign off that too? When are you next due to see anyone?

In the meantime, I guess it's doing all the sensible things you may already be doing; recording bloods, keeping a detailed food and drinks diary, and include exercise and mood/illness/fatigue too. Perhaps you could score the fatigue on a sliding scale in your records. You may just see something.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, i know very little other than reading it here but i just had the thought from your original post so I'm throwing it out there, some people get late onset type 1 and go through a honeymoon period where their lifestyle changes improve things enough for their beta cell thingies to give you some naturally produced insulin, but only for a while (I've heard a year (ish)) I'm not suggesting it is this or trying to frighten you but it popped in my mind, maybe its worth keeping a close eye on your bgs as I'm sure you already are, I've also read a lot about people being misdiagnosed as one type or tother, as i say I'm in no way qualified to suggest this is the case, hope you get back to the normal numbers asap, i can imagine unexplained numbers like that being scary, they would scare me too if they happened for seemingly no reason

Reactions: 2 people