Introduce Yourself: Answer Some Personal Questions

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
Good luck Gudrun i hope you are the odd one out.Im hoping the same as you as my mother was diabetic as were 2 of her brothers.Im prediabetic at the moment and will find out for sure when i have the Glucose tolerence test on Wednesday
Good luck with the test on Wednesday, John. Let us know how you get on. Have you looked in the prediabetic forum?

Reactions: 2 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
Good luck with the test on Wednesday, John. Let us know how you get on. Have you looked in the prediabetic forum?

Thankyou Gudrun i will do.Yes i have been on the Pre diabetic forum :)

Aeterna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Myself.
- What is your name?
Nathan
- How old are you?
- Are you male or female?
Male
- Which country are you from?
USA
- Which city/area do you live in?
Texas
- Are you religious?
Not much
- Pick three words to describe your personality.
Nihilist, Coward, Self Absorbed
- Do you have any pets?
2 Dogs
- Microsoft or Apple?
Neither...both...whichever.
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
None.
- Do you get angry easily?
Yes.
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
No.
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
Escape the Fate, Bullet for my Valentine, Pendulum, Hollywood Undead, and Blue Stahli
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
Rock....don't know much about specific genres.
- What is your favourite flag?
Don't have one.
- Ever gone camping?
Yes.
- Ever been in love?
Yes.
- Ever used fake tan?
No.
- Which countries have you visited?
Only US
- Favourite city?
None.
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
Don't watch TV
- List your five favourite films.
Unsure.
- Are you wealthy?
Definitely Not.
- Do you work? If so, as what?
Technically. As I am unpaid and have little choice in the matter..as a slave.
- List the subjects you study/have studied.
Some business stuff
- What do you like most about yourself?
Just about nothing.
- What do you like least about yourself?
Fear of the end.

Reactions: 3 people

Sidbear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, Pete here. I'm 44 and have just been diagnosed with Type 2 after fasting bloods of 13. It's all very new to me but my Mom is insuline dependent Type 2 and I've managed her diabetes for years so I have a bit of a heads up on it. I'm over 17 stone but I was around 20 at one stage and am hoping to lose a few more. I wouldn't mind chatting to other blokes in the same boat.

Stuart K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

What is your name?
Stuart
How old are you? 54
Are you male or female? Yes.....(sorry, I'm male)
Which country are you from? Scotland
Which city/area do you live in? Paisley
Are you religious? No
Pick three words to describe your personality. Childish, grumpy and incorrigible (my partner's words, not mine)
Do you have any pets? No
Microsoft or Apple? Apple - easiest question in this questionnaire
Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Haha! I wish. It used to be football and tennis but my hip decided enough was enough!
Do you get angry easily? Over to my partner......Yes
Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? No, not my thing
List your five favourite musicians/bands. Level 42, the late James Griffin (ex Bread), Go West (remember them?) , Chris Rea........
What would you say your favourite music genre is? Did you read the previous answer? I'd love someone to define my fav genre cos I'm struggling to!
What is your favourite flag? eh? As a Scot it would have to be the Saltire
- Ever gone camping? Last time was about 13 years ago, Scottish highlands, devoured by midges.
- Ever been in love? Yes with my current partner who is T1 and great support.
- Ever used fake tan? LMAO! Stop it with these questions!
- Which countries have you visited? Not many. Spanish mainland twice, 2 of the Canary Isles (Gran Can 4 times), 2 Balearic Islands and 2 Greek Islands.
- Favourite city? London and Barcelona.
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Auf Wiedersehen Pet, Place in the Sun, Homes Under the Hammer, Spanish La Liga (does that count?) and any DIY progs.
- List your five favourite films. Green Mile, Open Range (Kevin Costner, Robt Duvall), Planes, Tranes & Automobiles, Whisky Galore and Castaway.
- Are you wealthy? No!
- Do you work? If so, as what? I'm a trainer. I teach both IT skills and Employability skills.
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Degree in Maths/Computing Programming. Diplomas in Stress Consultancy, Hypnotherapy and have also studied Nuclear Weapons Analysis. Bit of a mixed bag.
- What do you like most about yourself? I'm a caring person.
- What do you like least about yourself? My reflection.

I started to gain weight 18 years ago through bad diet. Feeble attempts to be sensible were dwarfed by periods of comfort snacking - 2 bars of chocolate, packet of Rolo or Starburst and a 2litre bottle of full-fat coke were the norm most nights after I'd eaten my evening meal. By the time I was diagnosed (Feb 2014) I had gone from a 32" waist to 38", 12.5 stones to 15.5 stones. You'll probably know the numb feeling I experienced when hearing the word diabetic but it gave me the kick up the rear end I needed. I still eat choc - about one bar a week and the lowest sugar dark chic I can find - and still enjoy my soft drinks but all sugar free. I drink too much of them for my liking but I can't stand diluting juice or water. I'm now back to a 34"waist and weigh just over 13 stones.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
I'm F/55 - from Chicago, IL USA - my BF (M/57) is a diabetic and I wanted to learn some coping techniques when he gets angry due to low blood sugar...
I'm deeply religious - he is not,,,
No one in my family has diabetes - so this is my first time dealing at such a personal level. I'm having a heard time discerning between low blood sugar anger and straight up abuse... Any suggestions?
He is a great guy - I have known him 30 yrs - but only in a relationship for a few months - he was diagnosed 10 yrs ago (I lost touch with him prior to this) - Normally he is hilarious and sweet - but when his blood sugar is low - he is angry and mean-spirited (picking fights and threatening to leave me) - It's very hurtful - in my intelligent mind - I know this is low blood sugar - but it's very hard to be exposed to this.
Any suggestions on how to NOT take this so personally?

Hello LLSmith

You are in a pickle (I always wanted to say that)

I have not heard of angry due to low blood sugar. Are you sure he is having lows because they are associated with insulin (pretty much you can't have lows without insulin) So if he is not injecting insulin he cannot have lows.

If he is injecting insulin and having lows they have to be corrected asap or he could lose consciousness. They come back up quite fast, for example, with a sugar soda drink and he might not need a whole can.

Other than that I cannot help, I hope you get it sorted.

LLSmith

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello LLSmith

You are in a pickle (I always wanted to say that)

I have not heard of angry due to low blood sugar. Are you sure he is having lows because they are associated with insulin (pretty much you can't have lows without insulin) So if he is not injecting insulin he cannot have lows.

If he is injecting insulin and having lows they have to be corrected asap or he could lose consciousness. They come back up quite fast, for example, with a sugar soda drink and he might not need a whole can.

Other than that I cannot help, I hope you get it sorted.
=========================== =====================
He's had this happen a few times in the last month
He injects 2 types in the morning and before going to bed - he mentioned that he should inject during day but does not us it's inconvenient to keep it cold... and this has happened around lunchtime...
So I AM in a pickle...
But thank u for ur input!
He did suggest to me that I should urge him to eat a lifesaver (or other hard candy) when he gets like that - so I guess I will keep some on me in the future...

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
=========================== =====================
He's had this happen a few times in the last month
He injects 2 types in the morning and before going to bed - he mentioned that he should inject during day but does not us it's inconvenient to keep it cold... and this has happened around lunchtime...
So I AM in a pickle...
But thank u for ur input!
He did suggest to me that I should urge him to eat a lifesaver (or other hard candy) when he gets like that - so I guess I will keep some on me in the future...

He is probably on a fast acting insulin mine is called Nova Rapid (with meals) and a slow one for overnight mine is called Lantus.

So he must be overdosing on Lantus to get him through the next day instead of using Nova Rapid with his other meals.

If you read up on Nova Rapid you only keep your stock in the fridge not the injection pen you are using. If he is using Nova Rapid then he can lower his overnight and use Nova rapid each day without refrigeration.

I think that is probably right, but he should ask his, doc or whoever it is who does his prescriptions.

Jenny1220

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have type 1 diabetes

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
Um, I dont know how to include a photo here, i guess look at my profile.
- What is your name?
Jennifer Ortega
- How old are you?
Female
United States
Hialeah, FL.
- Are you religious?
Not really, i would say atheist but originally catholic. if that makes any sense at all.
Quiet, Sarcastic, optimistic
- Do you have any pets?
no
- Microsoft or Apple?
Apple
Basketball, dodge ball, soccer, volleyball
sometimes.
I have 8 piercings, my web piercing, helix, normal lobe & upper lobe (both sides), and both nipple piercings.
One Direction
Taylor Swift
Shakira
Kid Cudi
All Time Low
I don't have a favorite, i listen to almost anything, except screamo however thats called.
Colombian flag
- Ever gone camping?
Yes
- Ever been in love?
No
- Ever used fake tan?
No
Cuba.
- Favourite city?
NYC
The Fosters
Boy Meets World
One Tree Hill
Finding Carter
Gossip Girl
A Cinderella Story
The Stepbrothers
Divergent
The Fault In Our Stars
My Bloody Valentine
- Are you wealthy?
No
I don't work, yet.
I mean i'm a senior this upcoming year in high school. the only interesting class i've ever taken was AP Human Geo.
I honestly don't know what i like about myself..
a lot of things.

LLSmith

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
He is probably on a fast acting insulin mine is called Nova Rapid (with meals) and a slow one for overnight mine is called Lantus.

So he must be overdosing on Lantus to get him through the next day instead of using Nova Rapid with his other meals.

If you read up on Nova Rapid you only keep your stock in the fridge not the injection pen you are using. If he is using Nova Rapid then he can lower his overnight and use Nova rapid each day without refrigeration.

I think that is probably right, but he should ask his, doc or whoever it is who does his prescriptions.

Thank you - I'm not sure what the names are but there are 2 of them - one is a fast acting and the other is not - but he takes them at the same time - I know I need to learn more before I talk to him about the proper use - he has been doing this for a long time and I have no background at all...

Thank you again!

emmamarquardt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
- What is your name?
Emma
- How old are you?
female
England
Devon
- Are you religious?
no
kind, determined and strong
- Do you have any pets?
cat
- Microsoft or Apple?
Microsoft
swimming
yes
6 tattoos all hidden and pierced ears
all sorts of music
pop
british
- Ever gone camping?
yes
- Ever been in love?
am in love
- Ever used fake tan?
yes
cuba, thailand, greek islands, america, lanzorote, cambodia
- Favourite city?
bangkok
hollyoaks
stand by me
- Are you wealthy?
comfortable
civil servant
business management
Eyes
Legs
Have fun![/QUOTE]

minidvr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Politics, Celebrity Life Styles being pushed as the ideal.
I'm sure that I have already done this, but just want to get the nagging off the forum header:

- What is your name?

Ernie

- How old are you?

Prefer not to answer.

UK

Kent

- Are you religious?
Aren't we all?

Introverted, confused extrovert.

- Do you have any pets?
Yes

- Microsoft or Apple?
Definitely the former.

Hockey, Athletics, Table Tennis

No

No

Anyone but Elton John.

Anthing between the forties to the seventies.

The Saltyre

- Ever gone camping?
Yes, too often.

- Ever been in love?
Yes.

- Ever used fake tan?
No

Most of Western Europe, Some of Asia & Australasia and sadly, some of the USA.

- Favourite city?
Dartford

None specific.

The ones where you don't get a swear word in every conversation.

- Are you wealthy?
I am blessed.

I retired so long ago that I've forgotten what I did.

Humanity, Life, Women, Beer, Fags and Theology.

Patience.

Impatience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
-What is your name? = Charlie
- How old are you? = 14
- Are you male or female? = Female. Obviously.
- Which country are you from? = Scotland.
- Which city/area do you live in? = Grampian
- Are you religious? = Nada.
- Pick three words to describe your personality. = Tiger-like, bookworm, reluctant.
- Do you have any pets? = One annoying cat and two dogs, one of which is a greedy mutt.
- Microsoft or Apple? = Microsoft. Apple is for rich people and my sister who refuses to be given a Microsoft laptop.
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? = ...tennis. Netball. Football. Badminton. Trampolining. Ice-skating. Can't think of any others.
- Do you get angry easily? = Depends what day.
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? = I have my ears pierced. I was going to get another on the top, but they refused unless I had written consent from my doctor. The doctor told me to lie. Ugh.
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. = I COULD NEVER SAY! THERE ARE TOO MANY! (But Queen and Sleeping at Last hold a place in my heart)
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? = Pop/Rock
- What is your favourite flag? = Flag?
- Ever gone camping? = Yes. I have. It was bloody freezing.
- Ever been in love? = I'm too young for love.
- Ever used fake tan? = Once, and everyone kept saying I had a bruise on my arm.
- Which countries have you visited? = Australia, Hong Kong, New Zealand, England, Wales, Majorca, France, Belgium and America.
- Favourite city? = Brugge.
- List your five favourite TV programmes. = Doctor Who. Sherlock. Merlin. Supernatural. Charmed. You are meanies for saying five.
- List your five favourite films. = Inception. Les Choristes. Les Miserables. A Series of Unfortunate Events. Underworld.
- Are you wealthy? = My dad is. My mum is not.
- Do you work? If so, as what? = Nada.
- List the subjects you study/have studied. = English, Mathematics, French, Spanish, Chemistry, Art, Drama, Music, etc.
- What do you like most about yourself? = My ability to get my dad to lend me his credit card.
- What do you like least about yourself? = My ability to get my dad to take away his credit card.

Glynis M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Abuse of children or animals, bad manners, bad drivers.....
Br careful with the Metformin it damned near wiped my wife out in 2009.Her kidneys were in danger of packing up and a team from the Intensive care unit were running about like headless chucks.She was already on the medical ward having been admitted with urine infection.They found out it was metforin that was causing the problems and immediatly took her off it.
Hi johnboy412000 - I am on Metformin so what does you wife take now?

Glynis M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
So something about me................................ here I am just turned 60 and I am living in Somerset. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in 2008 and was initially ok with diet and exercise but now on Metformin.

Not really surprised to be diabetic as I have a sister with Type 2 diabetes, Hashimotos thyroditis and Vitamin B12 deficiency, another with Hashimotos and Fybromyalgia and a Dad with Vit B12 deficiency. All auto immune diseases which seem to run rife in my family. I was recently also diagnosed with a sliding hiatus hernia which took the doctors 14 years to diagnose!!!!! This gives me acid reflux and causes acute pain and vomiting at times and has stopped me doing my beloved exercise classes and meant I have put on weight. I have always felt like I am battling the Doctors where my health is concerned. The latest being when I asked what could be done to relieve the symptoms of the hiatus hernia. I had tried various drugs -,Omeprazole, Domperidone-, which were given to me before the hernia was diagnosed to relieve the acute acid reflux and vomiting!!! None of which helped at all and not allowed me to exercise. I was told nothing could be done about the hernia and to lose weight!!!!!! If I had a £1 for every time I have said sort out the vomiting and pain and I will do the exercise and that would help weight loss ........................I would be rich. I feel I am going around and around in circles where this is concerned and it is not helping my sugar levels at all.

I have already had years with Adhesive Capsulitis ( Frozen shoulder) that incapacitated me totally for over two years with no help for the doctors and now have Trigger finger in my thumb ( all common in Diabetes). I managed through my own effort to ease the Frozen shoulder and have improved movement there although it remains stiff and painful. I am awaiting an operation to free the thumb.

I really don't think Doctors are diagnosing any more and don't look at you as a whole person but only at individual illnesses. My digestion is shot to pieces I am sure and so I am about to pay to see a Nutritionist to see what can be done. I was concerned that the Doctors were giving me medication that interfered with my digestion when they didn't know what was going on in my guts.

Sorry to have made this so long but there may be someone out there who has experienced the same thing and might have some words of wisdom to offer.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
So something about me................................ here I am just turned 60 and I am living in Somerset. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in 2008 and was initially ok with diet and exercise but now on Metformin.

I have already had years with Adhesive Capsulitis ( Frozen shoulder) that incapacitated me totally for over two years with no help for the doctors and now have Trigger finger in my thumb ( all common in Diabetes). I managed through my own effort to ease the Frozen shoulder and have improved movement there although it remains stiff and painful. I am awaiting an operation to free the thumb.

I really don't think Doctors are diagnosing any more and don't look at you as a whole person but only at individual illnesses. My digestion is shot to pieces I am sure and so I am about to pay to see a Nutritionist to see what can be done. I was concerned that the Doctors were giving me medication that interfered with my digestion when they didn't know what was going on in my guts.

Sorry to have made this so long but there may be someone out there who has experienced the same thing and might have some words of wisdom to offer.

WOW you are doing it tough.

The T.E.N.S. units are a muscular thing and they do work. If you have not tried one you should give it a go for your shoulder,

They simulate the brain message to contract a muscle then release it and each time it does so the blood flow increases through that muscle.

It is blood flow that repairs muscle. The blood flow only increases when the machine is working the muscle so if you can find something to do while it works its magic you can leave it on for long periods.

I used one for many years fixing sports injuries on our greyhounds and my sister has one and it works for her and my mother has one and it works for her and my son blew his knee playing indoor soccer and had keyhole surgery and then physio once per week but that was doing nothing much so he used one while he taught himself to play guitar and read music and has never had a problem since.

If it is a long term injury you cannot expect an instant fix, you will have to hang in there for a while.

As for total body health, T2 wrecks everything and my experience is when I got my BS controlled and without insulin and my excess body weight halved then everything else seemed to drop into place. So my guess it is all about good metabolism.

Glynis M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
WOW you are doing it tough.

The T.E.N.S. units are a muscular thing and they do work. If you have not tried one you should give it a go for your shoulder,

They simulate the brain message to contract a muscle then release it and each time it does so the blood flow increases through that muscle.

It is blood flow that repairs muscle. The blood flow only increases when the machine is working the muscle so if you can find something to do while it works its magic you can leave it on for long periods.

I used one for many years fixing sports injuries on our greyhounds and my sister has one and it works for her and my mother has one and it works for her and my son blew his knee playing indoor soccer and had keyhole surgery and then physio once per week but that was doing nothing much so he used one while he taught himself to play guitar and read music and has never had a problem since.

If it is a long term injury you cannot expect an instant fix, you will have to hang in there for a while.

As for total body health, T2 wrecks everything and my experience is when I got my BS controlled and without insulin and my excess body weight halved then everything else seemed to drop into place. So my guess it is all about good metabolism.

Thanks for that very interesting reply @forge. I will certainly look into the T.E.N.S machine. I agree with you about good metabolism which I am sure I don't have!! I am hoping the Nutritionist will help.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for that very interesting reply @forge. I will certainly look into the T.E.N.S machine. I agree with you about good metabolism which I am sure I don't have!! I am hoping the Nutritionist will help.

TENS sell in the chemist shops in Australia for about $80 and Ebay for half that. Government health services for low income in Queensland loan them but you have to buy the leads and pads.

innilus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Unappreciative people, Stress, Facebook
- Include a photo here if you wish to. - Maybe next time
- What is your name? - Daley
- How old are you? - Not old but I feel it
- Are you male or female? - Male
- Which country are you from? - This one
- Which city/area do you live in? - Brum
- Are you religious? - I'm a person of science, logic and common sense, no offence intended
- Pick three words to describe your personality. - Laid-back, relaxed, nonchalant
- Do you have any pets? - A black cat called Darko
- Microsoft or Apple? - Microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? - Footy and poker
- Do you get angry easily? - Angry? I don't know what that is
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? - Where they should be
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. - No particular favourites
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? - Old school rock, Blues, gangst riddems
- What is your favourite flag? -
flag_of_saint_kitts_and_nevis.jpg

- Ever gone camping? - I'm not sure, I was probably high
- Ever been in love? - Yes
- Ever used fake tan? - It would make me pale
- Which countries have you visited? - I didn't know there were any others
- Favourite city? - My home town
- List your five favourite TV programmes. - Documentaries
- List your five favourite films. - Pulp Fiction, Scarface, Friday and too many more
- Are you wealthy? - I wish
- Do you work? If so, as what? - Security
- List the subjects you study/have studied. - Life
- What do you like most about yourself? - When the sh*t hits the fan, I don't flinch
- What do you like least about yourself? - I don't like that I like sleep too much

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
Tens machines are great they have helpled me in the past.They sell for about £15 in this country in Lloyds pharmacies.