Juicing diets

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Which is why I wondered if the whole veg, or fruit is better? Surely chucking away the fibre and just having the juice is wasting the best part?

That's definitely been my experience.

There's an argument for just eating the whole fruit and veg, no blending, but I would struggle to eat 1/3 punnet berries, 1/3 punnet pineapple, half a bag of curly kale, a teasp hemp oil and a teasp powdered wheat grass on a plate. And 3/4 litre of water.

But blended? YUM!!!
(And, for me, a max BG rise of 1.5/half litre)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is that raw kale?
Yup.

Kale, spinach, watercress, even salad leaves and lettuce, if you like.

It should be 60% veg to 40% fruit, to get the best BG effect, and best nutrition.

I have added courgettes, avocado, carrot, sugarsnaps, beet tops, carrot tops... and you hardly taste the veg. It really does taste like a fruit smoothie, but comes out looking bright green.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's definitely been my experience.

There's an argument for just eating the whole fruit and veg, no blending, but I would struggle to eat 1/3 punnet berries, 1/3 punnet pineapple, half a bag of curly kale, a teasp hemp oil and a teasp powdered wheat grass on a plate. And 3/4 litre of water.

But blended? YUM!!!
(And, for me, a max BG rise of 1.5/half litre)

Blended so you eat the whole of the veg and fruit, rather than juiced in a juicing contraption? Is that right?
Sounds like soup but yummier.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blended so you eat the whole of the veg and fruit, rather than juiced in a juicing contraption? Is that right?
Sounds like soup but yummier.
Exactly.

No need to peel or core apples, although I don't like leaving pineapple or kiwi skin in.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have a nutribullet, it chomps all the veg and fruit, I'm not a big veg eater, too much faff. So I blend spinach, kale, celery, cucumber, then add in strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and walnuts and ginger, goji berries and chia seeds and sometimes flax seeds. Its done in 30 seconds, cleaned and ready for the next time. I have a juicer but rarely use it because of the cleaning, with the nutribullet it has all the fibre in, love it. If I sound like a commercial - sorry.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
My BG is currently very good although I am on metformin. The juice diet has 6 meals a day and requires me to eat the following over three days - 2 pineapples and about 20 apples although they are liquidised/juiced at each meal with combinations of kale, spinach, broccoli, cucumber, watercress, celery, carrots and avocado.
WOW there is a lot of carbs in fruit and you are not taking much fibre and no protein but I don't know what kale is.

It does not sound like fun to me.

Why not have a lo carb chocolate cake while you think about it.

• Chocolate lovers can enjoy low carb desserts, too! If chocolate is your thing, you can make a low carb, three-minute chocolate cake. In a large glass measuring cup, mix together ¼ cup almond flour, one tablespoon cocoa, ¼ teaspoon baking powder, three tablespoons Splenda, two tablespoons melted butter, one tablespoon water, and one egg. Cover the measuring cup with plastic wrap, cut a small slit in it, and microwave on high for one to two minutes or until the cake looks set but still moist. If you enjoyed this, try out our other low carb cake options or our advice on low carb brownies!
The choc cake gets rave reviews.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exactly.

No need to peel or core apples, although I don't like leaving pineapple or kiwi skin in.
Thanks @Brunneria. Every day a school day! I hadn't thought of that, and it sounds less wasteful and more nutritious than just juicing and throwing away the pulp.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp

You mentioned on another thread that you might get a new blender... (Unless I misunderstood you?).

@dawnmc 's Nutribullet idea is a great one. They do perfect portion sizes and blend it til it's perfectly smooth.

And try popping a but of avocado in... It makes them creamy, like yoghurt or cream.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Gave my juicer away, for several reasons:
Juice is great but ran through my system quickly and I just seemed hungry.
All the best bits for things like gut transit are removed.

I now make beef bone broth or Jewish chicken soup. I can have as a broth or use as a base for soups.
I can knock up a good thick soup in my Vita Mix very quickly and just heat through.
Nutirbullet - my mate has one and uses it every day.

Last edited by a moderator:

SusanneLowe17

I have just bought the Jason Vale book on juicing lose 7lbs in 7 days but there seems to rather a lot of pineapples and high sugar fruit in his recipes, I thought it was going to contain more green juicing recipes (ie vegetables). I am now worried if all the fructose will put my sugar levels up or will it be ok as not taking in any other carbs. Has anyone followed this or similar diet and how did it affect their sugar levels. Before anyone says I should try other diets first, I have and have lost 4 stone but have not been able to lose any more in past six months and still need to lose another two stone.
I’m actually doing the Jason Vale 28 Day Juice Plan atm but as I’m not happy to remove all the fibre I’m blending the ingredients to for more of a smoothie than juice. I do add more water. How did you get on with the plan?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a thread from many years ago - you might get more response if you start a new thread.