New Flash Glucose Monitoring from Abbott - Bloodless Testing

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Affordable, but I dont really see much advantage....?
It's not the same as a CGM, but not being able to sustain a CGM for an extended period I'd be willing to give this a go as a substitute. It still gives you profiles, just no alarms etc

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The advantage would be that the device is cheaper and sensors are smaller and last longer; that is to say, I think it's great that the technology is improving but I don't think this will be the game changer I think it's made out to be.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
The advantage would be that the device is cheaper and sensors are smaller and last longer; that is to say, I think it's great that the technology is improving but I don't think this will be the game changer I think it's made out to be.
Dexcom sensors last on average 19 days and cost £46.50. Quite often though we can get the sensors to 3 weeks use. Sensors also give warnings of steep drops plus hypo warning signs.

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Found this on the Diabetes UK site

It seems to be a cross between both, I have the prices. It only reads when you scan it so it won't alert highs or lows like a CGM would. But you can scan it as much as you like, no calibration required. I think the reader is guaranteed for 2 years, sensors last 14 days.
Starter pack (reader plus two sensors) £133.29 + VAT
Then £48.29 + VAT per sensor
Having diabetes we have VAT exemption on medical items
http://diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=48429

Not as bad as I thought, in time the price will drop once other manufacturers compete. Thanks CarbsRok.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Saw this on another forum as well.
A finger prick test using a blood glucose meter is required during times of rapidly changing glucose levels when interstitial fluid glucose levels may not accurately reflect blood glucose levels, or if hypoglycemia or impending hypoglycemia is reported but the symptoms do not match the system readings.

So does that mean like a sensor it is 20 mins behind a finger poke? If so it's useless for people using MDI or a pump.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

So does that mean like a sensor it is 20 mins behind a finger poke? If so it's useless for people using MDI or a pump.
I wouldn't say useless at all.

Not when you consider that a finger prick test could be out by up to 20% anyway. During rapidly changing blood sugar events how often will you be finger pricking? Maybe once every 15-20 mins, hopefully not for long.

And even you are looking to work out a meal time bolus, 20mins delay on a +/-20% error is not going to be significant either.

I don't think it's being sold as a replacement for blood tests, more as a CGM-lite, which I think is a well positioned niche. Personally, at those prices I'm very tempted.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No pricing has been released at all so the prices quoted in this thread copied from other forums are NOT correct. I spoke to Abbott today and they have never released any information on pricing.
Also, its not a CGM. Its a meter

H

Hooked

Found this on the Diabetes UK site

It seems to be a cross between both, I have the prices. It only reads when you scan it so it won't alert highs or lows like a CGM would. But you can scan it as much as you like, no calibration required. I think the reader is guaranteed for 2 years, sensors last 14 days.
Starter pack (reader plus two sensors) £133.29 + VAT
Then £48.29 + VAT per sensor
Having diabetes we have VAT exemption on medical items
http://diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=48429
Fingers crossed the sensor costs are a bit cheaper than that, otherwise I'll not be able to afford it.
Will be very interesting to hear what the first users on the forum think of it once it's finally released.

Britishbob

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I wouldn't say useless at all.

Not when you consider that a finger prick test could be out by up to 20% anyway. During rapidly changing blood sugar events how often will you be finger pricking? Maybe once every 15-20 mins, hopefully not for long.

And even you are looking to work out a meal time bolus, 20mins delay on a +/-20% error is not going to be significant either.

I don't think it's being sold as a replacement for blood tests, more as a CGM-lite, which I think is a well positioned niche. Personally, at those prices I'm very tempted.
The lag time is 5 mins average - interstitial fluid sits next to muscle where it's used!!!
Not tethered like CGM and no finger prick calibration also the reports you see are very good

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Dunno, I thought the artificial pancreas trials were going rather well - and they are ultimately just a CGM (which BG readings that lag 15min behind), a pump and a bit of software.

Britishbob

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Fingers crossed the sensor costs are a bit cheaper than that, otherwise I'll not be able to afford it.
Will be very interesting to hear what the first users on the forum think of it once it's finally released.
Looks cheaper than a burger meal or some posh coffee

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The lag time is 5 mins average - interstitial fluid sits next to muscle where it's used!!!
Not tethered like CGM and no finger prick calibration also the reports you see are very good
I'm frimly in the yes camp Bob, I think it's great step forward and I can't wait to see the prices.

Edit, that's firmly.

I thunk Frimly would very much not be a forward looking place

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No pricing has been released at all so the prices quoted in this thread copied from other forums are NOT correct. I spoke to Abbott today and they have never released any information on pricing.
Also, its not a CGM. Its a meter

Seems rather odd that they haven't got the pricing in place seeing that it's going to be available on the 15th September :confused:

Reactions: 4 people

Britishbob

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm frimly in the yes camp Bob, I think it's great step forward and I can't wait to see the prices.

Edit, that's firmly.

I thunk Frimly would very much not be a forward looking place
Prices quoted by CarbsRoc are correct - No VAT for Diabetics

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. If you can provide the prices directly from Abbot, Id believe it.

I spoke to Abbot and they have confirmed that no pricing has been provided by them at all. Abbot are trying to make this accessible to everyone and I doubt that this disc will cost as much as a Dexcom CGM sensor. If that was the case, then people would go for a CGM instead. Makes no sense at all to charge £48 per disc.
Abbot make Omnipod. A pod only costs £18 each and a pod has more parts and electronics in it than a disc. I think people are jumping the gun here. Lets wait and see.

Reactions: 7 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thing is, even at £48 per disc it is cheaper long term than a CGM. For those of use who can benefit from a middle ground ie have hypo/hyper awareness it could be a great tool for tracking trends.

I look forward to the pricing being released, but if they're in the same sort of region as stated on here i will be self funding for a while :)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thing is, even at £48 per disc it is cheaper long term than a CGM. For those of use who can benefit from a middle ground ie have hypo/hyper awareness it could be a great tool for tracking trends.

I look forward to the pricing being released, but if they're in the same sort of region as stated on here i will be self funding for a while :)

Dunno how you can say that @hale710 I get 21 days normally out of a sensor at 46 and thats a worst case?

Reactions: 4 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dunno how you can say that @hale710 I get 21 days normally out of a sensor at 46 and thats a worst case?

Your on animas. I was allowed animas, so I've got the Medtronic pump. I've done all the number crunching, dexcom is the most expensive way for ME to do it as I'd have to buy everything. Even assuming extended sensor life. Medtronic is cheaper as I have the pump, but still will cost me between 2500 and 3500 a year.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your on animas. I was allowed animas, so I've got the Medtronic pump. I've done all the number crunching, dexcom is the most expensive way for ME to do it as I'd have to buy everything. Even assuming extended sensor life. Medtronic is cheaper as I have the pump, but still will cost me between 2500 and 3500 a year.

That sucks. Didnt know you hadnt been allowed Vibe.